O/T Music | Page 6 | Vital Football

O/T Music

If you just use the Http link it usual works and you don't get the rest of the code.

If you are feeling melancholy there is a beautiful song by Tony Christie titled Louise. A track from the 2008 album...Made in Sheffield. It's a reflective song about a past love affair and a chance meeting later in life. Christie provides an almost Roy Orbison quality but with more purity.
Christie has been approached by Nelson Riddles son Chris, Nelson of course arranged many songs for Sinatra and his son has the details on record. It is planned that at the age of 77 Tony Christie will perform some Sinatra songs with Nelson Riddle arrangements hopefully soon. Tony has a pretty broad range in his voice so it will be interesting.

I avoided that show as I can't stand a bunch of people who's net worth is billions and billions asking the middle and lower class to donate.

Call me a cynic, but all I see is shameless self promotion.

I avoided that show as I can't stand a bunch of people who's net worth is billions and billions asking the middle and lower class to donate.

Call me a cynic, but all I see is shameless self promotion.

I do see that point of view. Shades of grey with me though. I see a bunch of talented philanthropists who commit a bunch of their lives to this work anyway, regardless of a pandemic as an excuse. I always think that the hedonists are the ones earning the same money but not on view on these programs. Lady Gaga, as an example, supports over 70 different charities across 30 or so different causes and has ploughed millions of her money into good causes. They all have a story and most are grounded. COVID is above and beyond their chosen charities.

In some ways, this whole culture of "telephons" came from Jerry Lewis. An interesting story of the slapstick actor who started out with Dean Martin but ultimately came to raise $2.5b for the muscular dystrophy association. His annual telephon was heavily criticised for his "pitying" the kids and the language him and his peers used wouldn't fly in today's world (quite rightly). He could have given every penny he earned in his career. Probably a nice sum, but a tiny fraction of $2.5b. Instead he leveraged his fame to generate money for MDA.

In the utopian world, charities aren't required anyway and nobody needs to pay. The most needy are looked after by the state as part of the "system". That's the problem with utopia.

There is a point that most people who are financially uber-successful just turn into philanthropists. Not everyone but certainly most. Gates is a great example, and he does it for Warren Buffett. It's easy to be cynical but they do genuinely put their money where their mouth is.

On the other hand there are people like a particular lead singer in a very famous band who ARE blatant self-promoters.

There is a very controversial figure in Canada who does so much for charity it's staggering. His mantra is that it is NOT charity if you talk about it. I tend to agree with that. But I also know when I am raising money for whatever project I am working with it is a hell of a lot easier to ask people for money when I've donated first.

There is a point that most people who are financially uber-successful just turn into philanthropists.

I actually think they need to find a new word for these people. If society hear the word "philanthropist" now, they just assume "incredibly rich" and probably "famous". It dilutes the true meaning of the word which was as much about giving time and mindshare in my mind.

I actually think they need to find a new word for these people. If society hear the word "philanthropist" now, they just assume "incredibly rich" and probably "famous". It dilutes the true meaning of the word which was as much about giving time and mindshare in my mind.

Gates definitely fits that description and I think you would be surprised how many are very involved on all fronts.

I just donate to a dozen or so charities all year round...plus the government takes a large donation from income every month as well, whether I want them to or not.

I seem to remember when I first started work we paid two State Taxes...Income Tax and National Insurance...in those days I was led to believe that the NI contribution was for pensions and the NHS....today, workers continue to pay the same taxes but somehow I don’t think any of it is ring fenced for pensions and NHS, I’m betting it goes into the big pot and is used for anything the government thinks fit....I’d be glad to be disabused of my thinking if anyone knows the answer.