O/T Cricket | Page 2 | Vital Football

O/T Cricket

Goochy was imperious at times . As you say , when he saw the cricket ball as the size of a football he was a joy to watch . I used to watch Essex playing in Leyton when I was a lad. Great days . Got in for nothing as well .
I remember going to Leyton with my dad to see Essex vs Worcestershire...I think Worcs had Jack Flavell who at that time opened the bowling for England...I had watched him on tv (it used to be free on the BBC) and I thought he was just a medium paced plodder, but we sat in a mid-wicket position and I was amazed at how fast he looked from that position compared to the camera position from behind....hundreds of years later I went to an England vs WI game at Old Trafford, again watching from a mid-wicket position and watched Curtly Ambrose bowling to Graham Thorpe...I could barely see the ball it was so fast and the height differential between Ambrose and Thorpe made it all look very comical....happy days

I remember going to Leyton with my dad to see Essex vs Worcestershire...I think Worcs had Jack Flavell who at that time opened the bowling for England...I had watched him on tv (it used to be free on the BBC) and I thought he was just a medium paced plodder, but we sat in a mid-wicket position and I was amazed at how fast he looked from that position compared to the camera position from behind....hundreds of years later I went to an England vs WI game at Old Trafford, again watching from a mid-wicket position and watched Curtly Ambrose bowling to Graham Thorpe...I could barely see the ball it was so fast and the height differential between Ambrose and Thorpe made it all look very comical....happy days

It's a wonderful game, I'm not too interested in the ultra short formats. I used to play to a higher standard than I did football. It was natural talent as a bowler. Right handed medium pace swing. I had no lessons or coaching, line and length very consistent . I couldn't bat very well, tail ender who thought he could !!

Goochy was imperious at times . As you say , when he saw the cricket ball as the size of a football he was a joy to watch . I used to watch Essex playing in Leyton when I was a lad. Great days . Got in for nothing as well .

Never knew why, but I gave up playing cricket when I was late twenties. The crazy thing is that I wasn't particularly good at it but eventually could gets fifties and fifers at a rubbish level, top scoring with 80 something not out one time. It's like I did the hard work for 10 years and when I got some success I gave up.

I still remember our team being so bad that we'd be knocking on our pub's front door to get the landlord to open up early. That was when the pubs shut on Sunday afternoons, back in the day. He'd then lock the door again, clear off up stairs and leave us with an "honesty bar" and we'd play darts and pool.

Happy days !!!

Never knew why, but I gave up playing cricket when I was late twenties. The crazy thing is that I wasn't particularly good at it but eventually could gets fifties and fifers at a rubbish level, top scoring with 80 something not out one time. It's like I did the hard work for 10 years and when I got some success I gave up.

I still remember our team being so bad that we'd be knocking on our pub's front door to get the landlord to open up early. That was when the pubs shut on Sunday afternoons, back in the day. He'd then lock the door again, clear off up stairs and leave us with an "honesty bar" and we'd play darts and pool.

Happy days !!!
I think a lot of people give it up when women and families enter their lives simply because it is so time consuming....disappearing mid-day every Saturday during the season and rolling back home around 9 pm with fish and chips and a happy smile and swearing that you had only stayed for one drink required a very understanding other half to say the least....and not to mention cricket teas!....

Happy days !!!
That pub wasnt the Lord Palmerston in Walthamstow was it ! We did the same thing .
There was a newspaper shop opposite , run by a pub regular called Ernie Vile . We would regularly stay for “afters” which would carry on for hours and we would often go into Ernies shop early in the morning to help him “mark up” papers for the paper boys , before calling it a night and going home.
Back to the cricket , it’s great to have this thread on here . Thanks 80.
As far as I’m concerned it’s the greatest game in the world , sadly not understood by the vast majority of it .
Roll on Thursday

England having a great day so far , just before tea . Umpires having a nightmare. Never seen two umpires get so many decisions wrong. Shame about Jimmy Anderson. Even more so for Archer

The guy that's hanging around is a cheat and it's debatable whether he should be playing . Smith that is if he's still there.

Last edited:
A wasted opportunity after having them 122 for 8 , the Anderson injury could cost us dear .

So no clue what happened with Andersen, but 4 overs and 3 maidens for 1 run suggests he was fit. The Aussies would be all out for 150 without that injury. Great innings by Smith.

I'm also thinking if we get through the new ball, there's runs to be had tomorrow. Not many "wicket taking balls" as the day went on today and the England batsman should be confident.

So no clue what happened with Andersen, but 4 overs and 3 maidens for 1 run suggests he was fit. The Aussies would be all out for 150 without that injury. Great innings by Smith.

I'm also thinking if we get through the new ball, there's runs to be had tomorrow. Not many "wicket taking balls" as the day went on today and the England batsman should be confident.

The ball got wet and it took all the life out of it.Aussies have quicks, new ball. We need to be sensible.

Sorry , but the fact that Smith is picked at all , and not reinstated as captain , with the other two as well in the squad , just tells me how desperate the Australians are .
If he can condone cheating at this level, there is no way he should be given this honour of playing for his country.
I’m not denying his immense quality as a batsman , but as a man he is despicable. So are the other two . Cheating and added arrogance do their country no favours at all . Cricket Australia should be better than that .in my book , everything they do or achieve now will be tainted .