O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

D

Departed

Apparently there is a plan to lift any blackouts if the games are to be played behind closed doors.

Did that came from the FA ? Have the PL followed suit . ? Would imagine there aren’t many cup games left now at 3,PM on Saturdays .
They would have to go out free to air though, to be fair to all . Could cause problems for bbc and itv .

See a suggestion earlier which would never happen but kind of make sense.

Suspend football for 6 weeks, cancel the Euros till next Summer, restart the season late April and play through till mid June. Open transfer window now.

The transfer window bit is the least realistic part but they need to act now I think or it's going to be a mess.

The minute we see the virus hit a team I think action will be taken. And it will hit a team at some point.

The lack of handshakes before matches is good for a laugh though eh! Won't shake hands but during the match they grab and pull on each other and do low-high-fives after fouls. What a mental world we live in sometimes. Monkeys with typewriters, I swear.

assuming ST holders will be refunded for the games they play behind closed doors (which will undoubtedly happen within a week or two)?

Obviously clubs like Spurs can afford (begrudgingly) that but what will happen to the lower league clubs whose gate receipts keep them afloat? Would insurance cover them? if so will insurance companies start declaring bankruptcy?

I know travel insurance bought after 1st Feb won't cover it as it's considered a "known event" and that a big music festival in the US who were told to cancel by the local authorities weren't covered for pandemics. Intrigued as to how it works with football.

Last edited:
My current thinking is as follows. First you need to forget that there is 68m people in the country and only 500 people have been reported with it. That's naive thinking in my opinion. You need to look at the WW trends and extrapolate on our UK population if you're here. Same for every country.

1583940562228.png

This is the important data. It is basically saying that 11% of people that get it move into a Serious or Critical state. That's 11 in a 100. Additionally, 6% of people that move through the end to end cycle die. That means that out of the 11 that move into the Serious for Critical State is't killing just over 60%. Now my guess is this is massively overstated as there is a bunch of people that have it that don't even register it, and of course fight it off themselves.

Then there is the growth.

1583940751695.png

I remember looking at the UK data a week or so ago. We'd perhaps reported 10 or 20 or so new cases a day and the first couple of fatalities was happening. In the last 24 hours that numbers is now 73, 4 to 5 times more in just a week. What's to say that doesn't quickly move to 1000 and then 10000 and then 100000 per day?

Then you look at chances of survival based on age groups that contract it (not total population obviously)
80-89 - 14.8%
70-79 - 8%
60-69 - 3.6%
50-59 - 1.3%
<50 - <0.5%

My take on it is that you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best when you see this type of data. That would mean be ultra-cautious about public events. It's not OK for people of a younger age to assume their body can fight it and therefore it is OK to mingle amongst others. They'll be the ones that pass it to someone more vulnerable.

So I'm with Ex and others. I say don't wait to become a China or Italy before you start implementing tougher measures. Do it now and buy yourself time for a changing of the season, a vaccine or whatever it takes to get this thing under control. That should include non-critical gatherings of large masses of people like we have in sport.

Also, if inclined spend some time on the following website and draw your own conclusions. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/). We all interpret data differently. That's just my take on it ;-)

There is absolutely no way only 110,000 people WW have it.

My wife is getting swabbed because we were in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and she now has a cough and sore throat. How will a virus that takes 14+ days to show symptoms EVER be contained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is this Covid we are signing? What position is he playing? Isn't 19 sess's shirt number?

On a lighter note......

"Where are we going Piglet?" asked Pooh.

"We need to get supplies," said Piglet. "For the Coronavirus"

"Ahh," said Pooh, nodding in understanding. "Things like bread, milk, cough mixture, tissues and cat litter even though we don't have a cat?"

Piglet did a little laugh, and a sort of leap and bit of a cough. "No," said Piglet. "No, those aren't the sort of supplies we need at all! What we need are family sized bags of chocolate buttons, massive toblerone, jelly babies and crunchies and a freezer full of stuffed crust pizzas, and all of the Prosecco that we can possibly carry, so that when we get quarantined we won't mind it even slightly. THOSE are supplies."

All of a sudden, Pooh thought that the idea of coronavirus didn't seem quite so bad, and actually, getting quarantined with Piglet and their supplies really didn't sound such a terrible thing after all. "Oh Piglet," said Pooh. "I really do think you are a very wise animal."

As they walked along they spotted Eeyore stood by a stream watching the sticks float by.....

“Hello Eeyore.” Said Pooh, “we’re off to buy supplies to sit out the quarantine, would you like to come?”

“No thank you.” Said Eeyore “I’m just going to stand here, look at the stream and contemplate the Economic impact of a media induced panic that several companies are projecting folding straight out of Brexit. Also the NHS being brought to its knees by a huge panic, and the social impact of people distrusting others because they look or are associated with China. People are dumb.”

“Well that’s sad.” Said Pooh “I much prefer getting shitfaced and eating Pizza.”

“The ironic thing.” Smiled Eeyore is that Panic induces the Stress Response, and the first thing the stress response does is switch off the immune system.”

“Huh.” Said Pooh. “why would the media do that.”

“I don’t know.” Said Eeyore “I just watch sticks.”

Trump just cancelled all flights from Europe,

Meanwhile the regional health unit and my wife's doctor can't decide who is supposed to do her C19 test.

My current thinking is as follows. First you need to forget that there is 68m people in the country and only 500 people have been reported with it. That's naive thinking in my opinion. You need to look at the WW trends and extrapolate on our UK population if you're here. Same for every country.

View attachment 38006

This is the important data. It is basically saying that 11% of people that get it move into a Serious or Critical state. That's 11 in a 100. Additionally, 6% of people that move through the end to end cycle die. That means that out of the 11 that move into the Serious for Critical State is't killing just over 60%. Now my guess is this is massively overstated as there is a bunch of people that have it that don't even register it, and of course fight it off themselves.

Then there is the growth.

View attachment 38007

I remember looking at the UK data a week or so ago. We'd perhaps reported 10 or 20 or so new cases a day and the first couple of fatalities was happening. In the last 24 hours that numbers is now 73, 4 to 5 times more in just a week. What's to say that doesn't quickly move to 1000 and then 10000 and then 100000 per day?

Then you look at chances of survival based on age groups that contract it (not total population obviously)
80-89 - 14.8%
70-79 - 8%
60-69 - 3.6%
50-59 - 1.3%
<50 - <0.5%

My take on it is that you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best when you see this type of data. That would mean be ultra-cautious about public events. It's not OK for people of a younger age to assume their body can fight it and therefore it is OK to mingle amongst others. They'll be the ones that pass it to someone more vulnerable.

So I'm with Ex and others. I say don't wait to become a China or Italy before you start implementing tougher measures. Do it now and buy yourself time for a changing of the season, a vaccine or whatever it takes to get this thing under control. That should include non-critical gatherings of large masses of people like we have in sport.

Also, if inclined spend some time on the following website and draw your own conclusions. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/). We all interpret data differently. That's just my take on it ;-)
Excellent Muttley, totally agree with this. The numbers are almost negligible here in LA, so many people are carrying on as usual and are proudly skeptical, as if that makes them stronger/superior. that's the danger, as at this stage of the process more people than we know are in the carrying phase and by the time that all augments, it will be beyond containment. then panic will set in and "why didn't someone tell us?". people will regret not having stocked up from the supermarket etc. it's like living in two worlds - holding my breath and keeping my distance while walking past people on the street/supermarket, then glad Trump hasn't stopped UK flights and hoping the ticket i scored on Monday for the Arsenal match in April will still be valid!

The minute we see the virus hit a team I think action will be taken. And it will hit a team at some point.

The lack of handshakes before matches is good for a laugh though eh! Won't shake hands but during the match they grab and pull on each other and do low-high-fives after fouls. What a mental world we live in sometimes. Monkeys with typewriters, I swear.

I thought exactly that watching the game last night, players playfully slapping other players faces after a tackle or barge - crazy to expect them not to!

I thought exactly that watching the game last night, players playfully slapping other players faces after a tackle or barge - crazy to expect them not to!

Well our players will be just fine and dandy then...cos we do not tackle do not do anything remotely requiring a high five don't get near enough to pull or tug....etc etc Meh!

Last edited: