O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 121 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Does he know where he got it, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to see a breakdown of how all the 2,000 or so new cases each day are still picking up the virus. With the majority of the population under lockdown for the last two months surely we should have gone through the full cycle from those who picked it up and passed it on. Unless it is mainly frontline workers but most of those have had PPE for the last few weeks.

He is a removal man so could have been anywhere in the country. :shrug:

I didn't even know he was working again but he has been for a few weeks.

I think if I get symptoms , and have been close to people whom I know , and have their contact details , I will tell them myself .
if I had been close to people that I didn’t know , and had no way of knowing , then I can’t see how the system would help. Except of course for the big brother state ,but then I have paid no attention to the details , do I could be talking a load of tosh . As I frequently do !

For me, the only way it works is if everyone who has been notified by the app self isolates or takes a test to show whether they are or not pre-symptomatic. Then whilst it can't do anything about the ones who have it, it can stop anymore but only if people isolate.

There are a lot of ifs !!

So tell me more about the impracticality concerns. I thought about 3 main ones when looking at this a couple of weeks back

1) I noticed these smart phone stats from 2019

16-24 - 100%
25-34 - 97%
35-44 - 91%
45-54 - 88%
55-64 - 73%
65+ - 40%

This means that only 80% of adults have smart phones with the older age groups less likely. That's an obvious constraint of using technology in this way.

2) COVID vs non-COVID symptoms. Most of the population will still self isolate with symptoms but not have a COVID test. They won't know whether they've had it or not unless they have a testing kit at home and might only have the test much later. So the contact tracking app is only as good as the access by the public to testing kits right? Otherwise, you're being notified on your phone about someone having normal flu symptoms.

3) People won't allow "big brother" on their phone in the first place so the adoption rates won't be enough to make much difference when you are out and about.

Are you thinking other flaws?
Apparently only 60% of mobile phones have WhatsApp installed on it. One of the most popular messaging apps and it only has 60% take up. The app would need to be mandatory to have success really but forcing people to have a government tracking app won't sit well with a distrusting public.

Then there's the signs coming from other countries that people based contact tracing is much more effective at present.

It really is baffling how so many other developed countries can have such an effective response to this crisis when compared to the UK.

Apparently only 60% of mobile phones have WhatsApp installed on it. One of the most popular messaging apps and it only has 60% take up. The app would need to be mandatory to have success really but forcing people to have a government tracking app won't sit well with a distrusting public.

Then there's the signs coming from other countries that people based contact tracing is much more effective at present.

It really is baffling how so many other developed countries can have such an effective response to this crisis when compared to the UK.
I wonder why that Japanese toilet that analysed your output on a daily basis and sent alerts directly to your doctor never caught on?

So, no new cases of CV in 24 hours in Queensland again. As at midday Monday 1st June, we're permitted to travel intrastate (within Queensland), have a max of 20 people per area in cafes, restaurants and gyms etc. This should give our state a small shot in the arm, but still our borders remain closed to interstate travelers.
As at today we have 3 people in Australia on non intrusive ventilators, with 6993 ventilators remaining unused. 581 active cases, with approx 38 hospitalized.

Meanwhile our economy is completely shot.