NUT want to cut teaching hours and classes. | Vital Football

NUT want to cut teaching hours and classes.

G

Teachers have called for the time they spend teaching pupils to be capped at 20 hours a week – four hours a day.

The National Union of Teachers (NUT) passed a motion on Tuesday demanding a new working week of 20 hours' teaching time, up to 10 hours of lesson preparation and marking, and five hours of other duties, including time spent inputting data and at parents' evenings.

This would mark a drastic reduction in teachers' hours. In the past year, the number of hours teachers work has dramatically risen as a result of pressure from the government and the school inspectorate, teachers claimed at the NUT's annual conference in Liverpool.

They said they had no time to spend with their children or to eat lunch and complained that they often worked past midnight.

Full article; http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/apr/02/limit-teaching-four-hours-a-day-union?commentpage=4

Well I think teachers certainly should have longer holidays. I really don't know how they cope at the moment on a measly 13/14 weeks paid holiday a year..shocking!

I agree Jonah. It's a travesty, how can they manage with such little holidays. They will remind me of pork soon.... only use when there is an "R" in the month.....

In reality, if you want your little Johnny taught properly, his teacher needs time to prepare the lessons. My teachers teach about 22-24 hours per week without all of the extra work that school teachers are required to do. 22-24 hours per week means they are flat out for a 35 hour week.

BodyButter - 3/4/2013 15:29

In reality, if you want your little Johnny taught properly, his teacher needs time to prepare the lessons. My teachers teach about 22-24 hours per week without all of the extra work that school teachers are required to do. 22-24 hours per week means they are flat out for a 35 hour week.

Poor lambs.

Jonah - 4/4/2013 00:33

BodyButter - 3/4/2013 15:29

Poor lambs.

It's still the best job in the world. They aren't complaining. They get to live in a sunny place and get 9 weeks holidays a year.

I'm just explaining the reality of teaching. Saying that school teachers teach 20 hours a week is not the same as saying school teachers work 20 hours a week. Politicians often feed off that misconception.