NUFC v Liverpool | Page 2 | Vital Football

NUFC v Liverpool

I see the show pony back to his world beating best today! He only lost the ball 10 times as opposed to 20. Look at the positives!

Didn't expect anything today and probably could have been 3 or 4 on another day but frustrating when referee made sure of the Liverpool win and some of our own players taking up a place in the team for someone more deserving of it.

Thought some of the players were a bit scared to play their normal game (of late) . Perhaps they were in awe of the Liverpool players reputation and their team/run in general .

Just a simple case of better players being used to playing a faster tempo and taking up better positions. Obviously we shouldn't be compared to any of the top 6 at present but considering how shit we played or how Liverpool made us look, the fact that we had something to aim for right up until the final whistle is testament to how Eddie Howe has us now.

I reckon we're 6 or 7 first teamers and a total of about 15 squad players away from competing for top 4 so if we're rotating the squad by an average 3 players per window and you realise that the other top teams will strengthen also then we're a minimum of 3 years away from a proper comparison of where we are.

Just a simple case of better players being used to playing a faster tempo and taking up better positions. Obviously we shouldn't be compared to any of the top 6 at present but considering how shit we played or how Liverpool made us look, the fact that we had something to aim for right up until the final whistle is testament to how Eddie Howe has us now.

I reckon we're 6 or 7 first teamers and a total of about 15 squad players away from competing for top 4 so if we're rotating the squad by an average 3 players per window and you realise that the other top teams will strengthen also then we're a minimum of 3 years away from a proper comparison of where we are.

I can't agree. 2 prolific strikers and Pacqueta and we will be strongly challenging for top 4 next year imho. Could be achieved in summer window.

Thought Liverpool were in cruise control really. We never really threatened and Klopp had clearly seen my incisive tactical analysis and decided to negate it by not starting Alexander Arnold or Fabinho. Liverpool and Manchester City are 3-5 years ahead of us. Guimares needs movement around him and players to hit. Shelvey's done far better of late but he was found badly wanting today . Not playing a striker and then bringing on the dozy Wood (his offside infuriated me as he could clearly look down the defensive line) didn't help. We've still come a long way since December but today showed us that there's far further to go . Howay The Lads !!!

I’m not sure what people expect we are nowhere near Liverpool and Man City but neither is any other team in the league to be fair. I think the game v Arsenal will show us how far we have come since Christmas. Having said this Arsenal on their day are still a decent side.

I can't agree. 2 prolific strikers and Pacqueta and we will be strongly challenging for top 4 next year imho. Could be achieved in summer window.

Opinions are excellent and I hope that you're right with yours but I still think we need the number I stated although maybe I should clarify by meaning that I reckon we need that number to be consistent challengers not just a one season wonder.

By all means we could add 3 and be up where the likes of West Ham are this year but then we'd need to keep shaking things up season on season and even then, whatever or whoever we buy has to hit the ground running. That's before you factor in the fact the agent Mino Raiola died today which could have a knock on effect on many signings.

When you take a closer look at the top 4 you realise that expensive signings are taking nearly every position. Today, Liverpool ran us ragged at times. So many 40M plus signings available plus a sprinkling of players coming through the ranks. To attract the top players not only do you need the money it's the European football attraction they need as well. At the moment we can do one but not the other. Next, the youth set up and infrastructure. It's been sadly neglected and ignored for decades. Addressing this is work in progress but will take time. Remember when Leicester gate crashed the party the 'big boys' were after their best players as soon as the season finished. N'Golo Kante was off to Chelsea, Mahrez was wanted by Man City but Leicester made him play another season. Arsenal tried to prise Vardy away. Maybe today highlighted not our failings but how far we have to go. But at last we are heading in the right direction

This game confirmed what most of us thought, we have a long way to go. Not humiliated but with zero strikers not a threat.

Strikers are a must next season. We rarely score more than 2 goals in a game at the moment. Having said that we have had plenty of 1-0 victories they do the job required.