NUFC v Chelsea | Page 3 | Vital Football

NUFC v Chelsea

I wouldnt be surprised to see a Harry Redknapp or a Roy Hodgson type manager come in until the end of the season because no-one with any long term plan or ambition is going to take this job at the minute.

That being said, it's still only 10 games in and we're only 3 points away from the usual Ashley target of 17th with 3 very winnable home games to come between now and the window opening.

There's also the scope to change things entirely with 5 or 6 half decent players being benched every week with Dubravka one of these. He'll almost certainly be playing the next game now but under which manager? That's the million pound question.

That was hard viewing tho not unexpected.
That's what you get with fatty's investment.Light years behind Chelsea.
Midfield weak as piss & very little pressing accompanied by the usual hoofball usually ends in the same result.
Vital we pick up points between now & January.
Think the new regime will recognise the urgency & appoint that world class manager we're all waiting for in the next few weeks otherwise we could end up slowly sliding down.

I think we will struggle to stay up. I have looked at all the fixtures and can’t see many points between now and January. I think it maybe too late by then. Who knows.

Harry Potter wouldn't get us out of this shit Tooney. we've been done up like a kipper. Bruce didn't do training on Monday. Every team we've played has looked fitter and stronger. Potential managers may have been put off not just because of our position but the toxic atmosphere whipped up by the media. Teams that we had hoped to get a result against have proved stronger and more resilient. 3 winnable games before Xmas? I'll not hold my breath

Harry Potter wouldn't get us out of this shit Tooney. we've been done up like a kipper. Bruce didn't do training on Monday. Every team we've played has looked fitter and stronger. Potential managers may have been put off not just because of our position but the toxic atmosphere whipped up by the media. Teams that we had hoped to get a result against have proved stronger and more resilient. 3 winnable games before Xmas? I'll not hold my breath

With the right set up and with the right mentality, the 3 home games against Brentford, Norwich and Burnley are more than winnable. The problem we have here at the minute is that Rafa had the players that well drilled on the defensive game that it is the default mode for everyone else now and they just can't implement it as well as he did.

After Brighton there is a two week international break for a new manager to create a new atmosphere and new agenda in regards to playing the game. Fuck it, bring Keegan and Terry Mac back in and enjoy the ride as far as im concerned.

Momentum is so important in football and I do think the new owners missed a huge opportunity with the Spurs game. If they'd even sacked Bruce for that I think we'd have got something out of them. Then the whole mentality is different for Palace and Chelsea and we could well have had 6 points from 3 games rather than 1. The season we went down when Benítez was appointed I always felt he was too conservative against Villa and that it would cost us . I have the same feeling here. Any new manager is really having to go some to get us out of this mess. If Norwich get the win the morra they go above us. Is the search for the perfect manager to rescue us out of our current situation taking so long that our situation this season will be beyond rescue?

I also feel that far too many are taking The Championship for granted, in that should we go down we'll just bounce straight back again. We've somehow managed that twice under Ashley the odds on doing it straight away a third time would be against us.

I hope someone decent (by appointment) with a bit of savvy gets this by the scruff of the neck and sorts it out. Jones has found it a step too far and the players seem to be on a rudderless ship. I hope this is sooner than later. On a lighter note can anyone remember the last time the Mackems lost 5-1 on a Halloween weekend :grinning:

What makes you think so ?

Just a gut feeling obviously but I take heart from the 11 game winless run under Benitez

I don't think either Bruce or Jones have played our strongest 11 in a formation that suits them

I hope for a new manager coming in this week who has had a bit of time to assess what needs changing

I hope that deals will be struck at the beginning of January rather than on the final days of the transfer window

We've had some shocking recent seasons but manage to end up lower mid table

I just think there is still plenty of time to turn this shite around

Just a gut feeling obviously but I take heart from the 11 game winless run under Benitez

I don't think either Bruce or Jones have played our strongest 11 in a formation that suits them

I hope for a new manager coming in this week who has had a bit of time to assess what needs changing

I hope that deals will be struck at the beginning of January rather than on the final days of the transfer window

We've had some shocking recent seasons but manage to end up lower mid table

I just think there is still plenty of time to turn this shite around[
/QUOTE]
Diplomatically put Mc....
As stupid as it was to get rid of Bruce and put Jones in the firing line at the request of fans who did fuck all to get rid of Ashley, I still think we will be okay.

I forgot to add that the return of Dubravka is a huge positive

I don't know the situation on Dummet but hopefully he isn't too far away

Schar Fernandez willock and almiron need to start every game. Lascelles Clark longstaff and Fraser/hayden need dropped. Play ASM on the wing and we have a chance. Stick with the same shite personnel and "tactics" as Bruce and we're down. Simple as that
Spot on, we will look better with Dummet at full back too I reckon. If he is ever fit.

For me if we need 35 points to stay up - as seems likely - 13 to 15 before the transfer window opens should give us a decent chance. One would hope for improved results in the 2nd half of the season once we get a few new bodies in the door.

Hayden & Lascelles are definitely capable of improvement under a better coach - I wouldn't be dropping either of them just yet

The left side of the defence is by far the weakest at the minute with Clark and Ritchie having nightmares at the back

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Lascelles and Hayden and all the other I mentioned are championship players at best. Those 2 are tough tackling players who can't keep the ball. Every time they get it they hoof it back to the opposition or lose possession because neither of them can pass, very limited players. If we are to give ourselves the best chance of winning a match we need to stop giving the opponent 80% possession. We need players who can keep the ball and find a decent pass.