NUFC v Arsenal | Page 3 | Vital Football

NUFC v Arsenal

All the highlights showed him marking shadows. Exactly the same as last season. He’s like Bramble but can’t tackle, is slower and has worse technique.

I agree with you PM - more often than not when Lacelles is caught out of position he's gone to cover someone elses mistake and looks exposed because of it

Boumsong was exactly the same when trying to cover for Bramble

The blame for the goal clearly lies with Dummet & Willems

I agree with you PM - more often than not when Lacelles is caught out of position he's gone to cover someone elses mistake and looks exposed because of it

Boumsong was exactly the same when trying to cover for Bramble

The blame for the goal clearly lies with Dummet & Willems
Aye Mc that ball from Dummet out to Willems on the left made him look like a twat.

Lacelles reacted immediately to the resulting interception which is good defending in my book.

It could be argued that no one from our right covered for Lacelles,I think it was Schar that tried but that would be harsh as whoever it was simply did not have the pace to make it back.

Out of interest where did Joelington show quality?
I thought he looked alright in flashes bruce,his movement across the line let him down in my opinion it's early days though plus he he wasn't bought for us to profit from,only Ashley.

Aye Mc that ball from Dummet out to Willems on the left made him look like a twat.

Lacelles reacted immediately to the resulting interception which is good defending in my book.

It could be argued that no one from our right covered for Lacelles,I think it was Schar that tried but that would be harsh as whoever it was simply did not have the pace to make it back.

aye - he had to go and try and cover that other runner - he had no choice (If he hadn't he would have been blamed for not doing so)

as you say, he should/would have expected someone to slot in behind him when he went

Everyone pulled out of position from a shite suicide ball

aye - he had to go and try and cover that other runner - he had no choice (If he hadn't he would have been blamed for not doing so)

as you say, he should/would have expected someone to slot in behind him when he went

:thumbup:

He should've shouted at Schar to cover and where the fuck was Manquillo? These are professional fucking footballers not the U13's girls team. Leaving the opposition striker unmarked in the middle of the box is schoolboy stuff.

The whole back line was at fault for the goal and its bloody luck they weren't playing Man Utd or City, Scousers and Spurs cos they wouldve been ripped to shreds.

I think you’re getting me wrong. I’m not blaming Lascelles for the goal. He was shit the entire game. Jaffa is just arguing because it’s me.

Everyone has different perspectives, OM. To me it was down to set up. Willems didn't know where he was supposed to go, when he got there, he was caught out by the Arsenal player with the intercept. The Arse lad did his job well and our transition phase was higher risk than last season anyway.

There were symptoms of poor organisation all over the field, Almiron was too often too far away from his strike partner, nobody seemed to be detailed to attack the back post. Some great balls were played into space where we didn't have a player.

What was sheer brilliance was how Bruce decided to deal with Arsenal's defence who had a solid 6 person block in the penalty area. We couldn't get through the middle so went for the width and dominated their right back space with four wide players attacking it, Willems, Saint Maximin, Ritchie and Almiron. Hayden had plenty of space to defend all to himself

Last edited:
From a management point of view it was a fucking joke. Williams was under the impression he was supposed to be playing in central midfield then was "too high up the pitch" (according to Bruce) which led to the goal. Bruce's solution to this temporary crisis was to scream "what the fuck is going on". They're following your instructions Steve. Saint Maximin was brought on and was supposed to playing centrally and for some reason was playing on the left. There were no midfielders on the bench but there were four (yes four out of six subs) defenders on there. According to Bruce this was because Dummett had a knock and Lascelles was ill (why start them?).

Reminder: Steve Bruce once picked two goalkeepers on the bench when manager of Wigan. Maybe it's not just players that should be drug tested.

His idiot clogger son is on twitter attempting to blame the media for accurately reporting events saying they are "creating a shitstorm".

I could spend all day and all night arguing the toss over different permutations as to what I think went wrong but ultimately it's swings and roundabouts as the whole point of having a manager here has been clouded by Rafa's presence.

For that reason we can excuse the shambles because it rained.

Hard and fast.

He's not a manager but a coach ( don't laugh) who has been brought in to try and increase the value the purples bought by Nixon and Charnley by putting them in the PL shop window.

You know that tried and tested policy that brought two relegations and two near misses.

Never mind we got rid of that greedy **** Benitez so we can expect our new training ground being built and investment in our youth teams with the savings in the managers wages and 30m still left of the transfer pot.

I do not understand why there was a lack of communication.
Surely when you send a sub on he knows what position he is playing in.
Dummet should not be in the side anyway and if Lascelles was not feeling good then play Fernandez or Clark.

Your right Owl. If he knew he had no midfielders on the bench he should have had a plan in place in case there was an injury or something and the players should have been made well aware of what formation we would be playing in that event.

I really don't know how he thought Longstaff would last 90 minutes as he hasn't a full competitive 90 minutes for 6 months, the pitch was strength sapping and he was likely to spend most of the game chasing the Arsenal midfielders. The lad was a shadow of himself from last season because he isn't up to speed yet.

I've watched the vid of the goal a few times now and the more I see it the less I think it was any kind of communication error

Willems was in an advanced wing back position (Richie was inside him in central midfield) Schar was even in Arsenals half when they broke

Dummets ball was an absolute shocker (not helped by Willems slow reactions) which caught everyone out of position

1:38 in

If your two wing backs are pushed so high you need your 3 centre backs to play closer together and maybe a centre midfielder to play a little deeper. Schar was actually in the wing back position when they broke and they exploited the position he should have been in. Doesn't excuse the poor ball and the slowness of Willems to react but Lascelles was pretty much left exposed and was attracted to the ball and if your being charitable the run from the Arsenal midfielder.

Like Keggy said this was Arsenal reserves and if you are this naive against the real top teams you are heading for some real good hidings. We really need Lejeune back ASAP.