NOW WHAT? | Vital Football

NOW WHAT?

Welshtel

Vital Football Hero
With admittedly a lot of ‘trying out’ manipulation of the side on our last game by Pochettino, we finished 3rd (narrowly) and beat off Liverpool. Pity about our Golden Boot loss but with Kane out a couple of times, I think we did very well. Well done the lads and manager!

So back to ‘The Lane’ and a new season ahead with new beginnings.
Will we buy in new players to push the squad on or as rumours in the press suggest will we need to sell Kane to finance the move home?

I always feel that the board have our finances under control so I can’t see us dropping off financially. We have some good players coming on. We have some out on loan that might come back that may have progressed, some younger lads who may now be ready to be blooded into the senior squad and some players, in my opinion that should be moved to new pastures. Sissoko maybe?

And what about some of the other players that maybe could be bettered? What do we think of Dier? Is he really that good? And then there’s Lamela..... Aurier?...... Is Lloris still cutting it? Any others we’re doubtful about? And what funds do we really have? What flexibility do we have to buy, or could we ‘trade’ players to make do for next season to help with finances?

I for one think the future looks good but are there any pitfalls ahead. Answers on a postcard please to......

First off...good seeing you again Welshtel,been a bit I think!

I don’t think Dier is our future, just seemed lethargic when I was watching. Wanyama struggled mightily as well but I think he should get another season...just not sure if he can cut it as a DM. I still think Lamela is a good player...he has a knack for getting open, key is if he is passed to in the final third...which we really struggle with. I do think we should move on from Rose...just not a fan.

I like KWP, good young player that should be given a chance next season.

We should hit the market strong for a strong DM and another great striker.

We need 3 or 4 quality players to come in to our squad to take us to the next level. Rose replacement (unless he knuckles down, he has been starting to look like his old self lately), playmaker in the middle, another pacy attacking midfielder and a decent Harry back up. We need one marquee signing and that man has to be Bale.

Sessegnon, Gomes, Bale, ???

We need to invest in the squad, same as every summer.

Will we do it?

I imagine it will be hit and miss again

I can see a busy summer ahead. It's needed.

When we finished 2nd we had a spine with two wing backs. This season we lost that for numerous reasons. Injuries, player sales and not having the correct players. Getting the foundation down first must be priority.

So what about Alli? Anyone think he’s not up to it? I mean, for me he doesn’t do that outrageous job that we all look for.

I’d be very careful about offhandedly discarding players from this team. 3-4 max in.

Out?

Of the first team squad Llorente is the only one that NEEDS to move on.

So what about Alli? Anyone think he’s not up to it? I mean, for me he doesn’t do that outrageous job that we all look for.

14 goals and 17 assists this season and he’s not had a good season ?

The issue with Alli/Christian/Kane/Son and Lamela to some aspect is they are completely over played as there are no other options

I’d be very careful about offhandedly discarding players from this team. 3-4 max in.

Out?

Llorente/Janssen/Nkodou/Sissoko can all be sold

He said first team squad. Don't mind Sissoko staying as a squad player. Been adequate at CM most of the season

Llorente/Janssen/Nkodou/Sissoko can all be sold

I was one of Sissoko,s fiercest critics at the start of the season (and before but I wasn't posting on here at that time) and I would have agreed with you then , but I see a different player now. Obviously ,he still isn't a 30 million pound starter, but Poch is turning him around and he is doing a decent job as a sub " I never thought I would say that!

Janssen has had a decent holiday and still could be the player we thought we had bought . I always though he put in enough effort , as'Arry always said ," get out there and run about a bit ". He does that in abundance, so not sure about him , maybe give another half season but that doesn't really help us if he doesn't make it . Hmmmm....

Nkodou......where is he , is he still about ? Surely he has to be surplus to requirements whatever he is doing .

Llorente. Must be one of the biggest disappointments ever , I mean ,we all moaned about buying strikers who had no PL experience and struggled with adapting so we cut them some slack ,but this guy had it by the bucket load . Totally baffling .

So ,...agree with Nkodou and Llorente ,couldn't argue against that could I.
Not sure about Janssen .....enigma.
Keep Sissoko ..... There I said it

CCV ? Is he going anywhere near the first eleven anytime soon , doubt it .

Out?

Not a realistic way of looking at the situation though. Toby has been pushed to the side like Walker was. Rose has made it clear he wants out.

Wana looks half the player he was, Dembele looks like he is coming towards the end of his career. I'm still convinced Dier isn't happy.

There is talk Eriksen is wanted by Madrid.

Lamele and Sissoko are average. Llorente is crap.

Big changes are happening. This team is not going any further forward without money being spent. It's reached it's limit. Poch knows it and that is why he has said what he has.

in my opinion it would be absolute madness to ever ever think that Ali could be allowed to go unless he had his head turned by one the big foreign clubs .
He is rapidly developing into world class . Obviously nowhere near it at the moment but he has everything in position except for his head ,which is maturing under Poch .
He wouldn't walk into RM and be a game changer yet ,but he will do at some stage .
What he does do for us ,is (And this is for the dinosaurs on the forum like me ) the job that John White did for the double winning era , he drifts into positions that nobody picks up, scores the goals that nobody can see coming , links the plays that the opposition cannot legislate for , no matter how many videos they watch in preparation.

With skills like that , it's the "outrageous " bits that take a back seat.

John White was the "ghost of White Hart Lane", as the papers nicknamed him .....Deli Ali is the new "ghost".........IMO

And also in my opinion , absolutely priceless

We can do some good business well before the WC, if marquee signings are to come then we can add them at a later stage.\

Out:
Sissoko
Llorente
Janssen
GKN
Lamela
Rose
Trippier (yes, I've said it)
Onomah

Loan:
CCV, Foyth

In:
Bertrand
Traore
Lucas Hernandez
Neves/Gomes

LB:
Rose has to be sold. He is not committed, is too injury prone, doesn't recover well from his injuries (he usually takes ages, but I feel that after this injury he is taking the piss) and can still command a nice fee.
Some of the potential replacements:
Bertrand:
Solid option. Only a year older than Rose but without the injury record. Will give us some good pace, and whilst not as good as Rose going forward to me he seems a better better defending, and far less injury prone.
With his PL experience he pretty much walks into the LWB position.

Tierny:
Good option for the future, but coming from the SPL and all the adjustments needed might see him take a while to produce his best.

I’d go with Bertrand, but wouldn’t be too displeased with Tierny.

CB:
Keep Toby and lose him next year for 25.
It’s really simple - we already have his replacement, and another year playing next to Toby will make him even better.
Any potential income loss will be more than covered if we secure another CL spot next season.

The CB position we do need cover for is LCB, and whether Verts leave this season or next we need his replacement in place, which is why I think we need to prioritise this position before the RCB, which could be resolved next year.

Lucas Hernandez has a 44 million release clause, and would fit like a glove. Fast, great on the ballCan’t see a better LCB around.

AM:
Sessegnon is reported to cost anywhere from 50 - 100 million, before all additional costs that come in such a deal such as wages and agent fees. If this is the case it would be a straight pass for me.

Adama traoure IMO is the next Mane, blistering pace and can beat defenders with ease. He really matured this season and shown some hard work, this kid is a real game changer.

CM:
Neves is a cracking player, and although if Poch really fancies Gomes then by all means.

As I've said in another thread, it seems as though the Championship has become fertile ground for developing players to the PL. The physicality and intensity in the C'ship get as close you can can find to that of the PL, and the quality of players they produce and attract is really up there.

If any other player leaves, or we have the chance/finances to sign a marquee player, we can add to our ranks. The players above (well, perhaps with the exception of Hernandez) could quickly be brought in.

We can do some good business well before the WC, if marquee signings are to come then we can add them at a later stage.\

Out:
Sissoko
Llorente
Janssen
GKN
Lamela
Rose
Trippier (yes, I've said it)
Onomah

Loan:
CCV, Foyth

In:
Bertrand
Traore
Lucas Hernandez
Neves/Gomes

LB:
Rose has to be sold. He is not committed, is too injury prone, doesn't recover well from his injuries (he usually takes ages, but I feel that after this injury he is taking the piss) and can still command a nice fee.
Some of the potential replacements:
Bertrand:
Solid option. Only a year older than Rose but without the injury record. Will give us some good pace, and whilst not as good as Rose going forward to me he seems a better better defending, and far less injury prone.
With his PL experience he pretty much walks into the LWB position.

Tierny:
Good option for the future, but coming from the SPL and all the adjustments needed might see him take a while to produce his best.

I’d go with Bertrand, but wouldn’t be too displeased with Tierny.

CB:
Keep Toby and lose him next year for 25.
It’s really simple - we already have his replacement, and another year playing next to Toby will make him even better.
Any potential income loss will be more than covered if we secure another CL spot next season.

The CB position we do need cover for is LCB, and whether Verts leave this season or next we need his replacement in place, which is why I think we need to prioritise this position before the RCB, which could be resolved next year.

Lucas Hernandez has a 44 million release clause, and would fit like a glove. Fast, great on the ballCan’t see a better LCB around.

AM:
Sessegnon is reported to cost anywhere from 50 - 100 million, before all additional costs that come in such a deal such as wages and agent fees. If this is the case it would be a straight pass for me.

Adama traoure IMO is the next Mane, blistering pace and can beat defenders with ease. He really matured this season and shown some hard work, this kid is a real game changer.

CM:
Neves is a cracking player, and although if Poch really fancies Gomes then by all means.

As I've said in another thread, it seems as though the Championship has become fertile ground for developing players to the PL. The physicality and intensity in the C'ship get as close you can can find to that of the PL, and the quality of players they produce and attract is really up there.

If any other player leaves, or we have the chance/finances to sign a marquee player, we can add to our ranks. The players above (well, perhaps with the exception of Hernandez) could quickly be brought in.

I am glad someone else isnt a fan of Trips, I think he is good back up but he is nowhere near good enough for the style of play we have, plus he is quite defensively weak.

I do laugh at the criticism serge gets, whilst trips has made as many mistakes - just not as obvious.

For Left back I would rather Shaw and if we can do a swap deal with United even better as the money will be saved.

I am glad someone else isnt a fan of Trips, I think he is good back up but he is nowhere near good enough for the style of play we have, plus he is quite defensively weak.

I do laugh at the criticism serge gets, whilst trips has made as many mistakes - just not as obvious.

For Left back I would rather Shaw and if we can do a swap deal with United even better as the money will be saved.

Shaw has a huge fitness question mark for me, his injury record makes him too risky for my liking.