Notts Cricket Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

One of the main features of "proper" cricket is that it's country versus country. Apart from my point of view that T20 is not the proper job many of the teams are full of mercenaries. I reckon that when the T20 Indian games are on there are more Aussie cricketers in India than here in Australia, not that I begrudge them the chance to earn a quid but it's not the same.
Must be a case of each to his own and all that and I do realize that I'm in the minority, (and showing my age too).

:gent:

And complacency rules at Trent Bridge...

Another terrible performance from Notts, including some very strange decisions which didn't work. The first six overs there are only two fielders out. Surely we should not be opening with Fraine who averages 7. Why not send Dan Christian in earlier, even as an opener as we don't have Hales? Why did Ball come in before Libby? Libby actually did alright, but by then it was too late. Again, just like the Durham game, batting looked easy when our opponents bat, and really hard when we bat.

Playing against Surrey (top team) in the Championship without an overseas player. Hope I'm proved wrong, but the batting looks weak (Mullaney out for a two ball duck!). Could we not get Dan Christian to play for us ? Seems a bit crazy playing a Championship game in the middle of the T20 tournament too. Anyone would think the ECB don't know what they're doing. Notts are not having much luck this year either, with Coughlin, Nash and Hales all injured.

Well Hales doesn’t play red ball any more.
The powers that be are more interested in the brand ‘Trent Bridge’ than the squad of players.
The batting line up would struggle in Div 2 - no where near good enough.
I didn’t bother to go today - fearing the worst. Gives me no pleasure to say I was right!

We have just played six T20 games. After one 4 day match we play 8 more. That's no excuse for Notts as it must be the same for Surrey, but it's ridiculous planning. Even in the good years (including promotion last year) Notts have gone to pot half way through the season. We have a weak enough team, but now Patel and Mullaney have lost form. Libby, Fraine and Root are still trying to get their careers going. They said Hales would miss 4 T20 games injured, so I assume he will miss at least 2 more.

Theoretically we are playing Surrey for top place. The reality is we will be lucky to stay up.

Looks as though T20 reigns on here.
A few weeks ago I managed to get onto Notts mailing list, so far all I've heard is T20 news and the offers of cheap tickets to see those games.

Joe Hardstaff and Bill Voce would be turning in their graves.

How many Championship games nowadays go for the full four days. I feel I'm being cheated out of my season ticket in order to give the players one or two days each match an extra holiday. I'm sure they just give up when they see which way the match is heading.

How many Championship games nowadays go for the full four days. I feel I'm being cheated out of my season ticket in order to give the players one or two days each match an extra holiday. I'm sure they just give up when they see which way the match is heading.

RB, are you suffering from cricket depression ?

ORF, much as I love cricket it's all becoming a bit of a farce, though personally I do find T20 entertaining . I could be wrong on this, but going from memory the original shorter games were in the Sunday League, and interspersed between the County Championship games, which were only three day games. Test players were away for probably 5 matches, but were available the rest of the time.

We now have 4 day games,50 over games and T20. The T20 tournament started at the beginning of July and continues till at least Aug 17th (further if you get through). These are now all played together so each team can bring over two foreign players (mercenaries as you called them!), in our case Dan Christian (Aus) and Ish Sodhi (NZ). At the same time the central contracts deprive you of your own best players (Broad and Hales) and Mullaney has even missed games playing for the Lions team.

In 2020 (ideally named for T20 cricket) another tournament starts. This will be between 8 teams (one based at Notts). I believe these will be city teams but (I could be wrong here) they are not allowed to be named after the city or county! Top players such as Joe Root would be allocated to a team for publicity, but NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY. So the idea is we rival the IPL whilst not allowing our own best players to play! They then decided that " to appeal to women and children" who aren't capable of understanding T20 cricket, it will be called "the hundred with 15 overs and a 10 ball over to finish!

I have just been reading that 3 trial games may be played at Trent Bridge in September. These games have already been sold to tv, so will presumably go ahead.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/other-sport/trent-bridge-ecb-hundred-trial-1801036

Just as an aside we have had 7 weeks with no rain. During this glorious weather the only cricket we get is T20 games from 6.30 to 9.15 at night. The championship games are shoved to the two ends of the season. I try to go to one day of each championship match, but it does take the fun off when they're played in early April and at the end of September !

LK, first reaction to your post was "what a mess". And on reflection that sounds about right. At times I still wonder how much money and greed are involved. Over here it's still much simpler, we have the 5 day Tests, 50 over games (which now are only available to watch on pay TV) and T20 which I have to admit through clenched teeth is probably the most popular although it's normally a full house for the Tests and 50 over games. Times are changing and gathering pace too, my style of cricketing day is gone, perhaps not before time, folks these days want something more of an instant nature and I have no problem with that. We still have the Sheffield Shield games between the states but generally the crowds are poor, perhaps partly due to the fact that there are only 6 teams involved. Doesn't lend itself to big crowds.

There's no doubt in my mind that our normally good weather plays a large part in all this especially in the evening matches when it's possible to just saunter down to the ground after work and relax in warmth and comfort.

And after looking at the photo of Trent Bridge in your post I now know for certain that I'm a bit past my "use by" date !

It’s an absolute mess guys. The ECB, under the dubious leadership of Mr Graves, is intent on England playing more tests ( inc a worthless one now shoehorned into the 2019 schedule ), ODI’s & T20’s. In an effort to pay for this he is to introduce a 100 Ball Franchise tournament that no one wants - he claims that this will attract the worlds top players & yet it will be staged at the same time as Tests thereby ruling top England players out. This will clearly will mean that counties in the existing T20 tournament & 4 day game will be short of some of their overseas players.
The ECB is bent on destroying the game in this country!

Interesting that Edgbaston are saying there are 10,000 unsold seats for the first day of the India test tomorrow. Unless England are playing in the Ashes or World Cup, I couldn't really personally care less how they do. More interested in following Notts, but I really don't want to be seeing cricket where all the best players are missing. We have now picked a player (Rashid) for the test team who can't even be bothered to play County Championship cricket.

Good game last night. In the balance right down to the last over. Sodhi took a MOM 4 for 17, which is more like the sort of thing we should be expecting. Finally put my name in the ballot for two of the ICC World Cup games at Trent Bridge Aus v WI and Aus v Bangladesh. £20 bronze seats. Can't help but think the Indian fans are being ripped off. Tickets for India v NZ are between £55 and £175 for adults.

Interesting to find out why the ballot needs your DOB, phone number, gender , who you support etc. Must be getting paranoid, but everything you do now seems to be a data collection exercise!

England are 87-7! Am I the only Englishman who finds this funny? There is no connection between England and county cricket any more. The players don't play for their counties, but are then expected to miraculously produce test form when they play! Have we ever played with two wicketkeepers before? In the short game with Bairstow/Buttler/Billings we even manage to fit 3 in!
I bet I've seen more of a cricket ball in the last month than Broad has!

They started on Wednesday, so at this rate the game won't even make the weekend. How's that (no pun intended) for a masterstroke in planning!

India 112-6. Both sides are batting like they don't want to win this! Notts are playing at 7 o'clock on a Saturday night! Suppose they have to avoid the football, but why schedule a T20 fixture on a day when they know either Forest or Notts County will be at home?

Another poor performance by Notts. Gave away 206-2, then didn't even make the game exciting. A decent innings by Mullaney, but he seemed to slow down thinking he was home before he got run out. Lost by 72 runs, which is probably the most one sided game since we beat Derbyshire last season.

A very hit and miss season...hope we have enough to stay up in div 1 of the championship