Notts Cricket Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

The T20 games attract massive crowds in the evening. The majority of people at the 4 day games must be pensioners though. At an 11 o'clock start an awful lot of people disappear around tea to go home. A two o'clock start still means most workers will have missed two sessions before they make it to the ground at 6. The weather has been great this last week (even in Wales!), but generally it's too cold over here to be sitting out all evening till gone 9, especially when you have already wasted the chance of playing on a sunny morning!

A few weeks ago I managed to get myself on to Notts mailing list and can hardly believe how times have changed.
Live music, fireworks, family activities and more.
Back in the day I could never even get a seat under cover and cricket was the only activity.

Do you think that you folk might be spoiled ?

The T20 games have music, fireworks, flamethrowers, dancers and a very large dancing squirrel ! The atmosphere is fantastic, and whatever we think of it, it will be the future (saviour?) of cricket. Your line about a "seat under cover" is quite amusing though. The only thing that I find worse at TB nowadays is that the majority of stands have arty farty backs on them that provide no cover whatsoever! Though I've not been in it, only the Fox Road stand appears to have a lid on it that would actually keep the rain off you, and that stand appears to be miles from the action! This means that with a good downpour 15,000 people have to hide under the back of the stand to keep dry!

Think you're right about the saviour of cricket, the proper game itself is probably too slow for a lot of folk these days. Times change.
In the days that I remember I think that the seating setup consisted of simple wooden benches with no back to them and I do remember sitting on the grass at times. Wouldn't do today.

Not expecting a great deal from this years T20 campaign - suspect Notts are a couple of players short & will miss Hales & Ball badly.
Hope to be proved wrong.

Not expecting a great deal from this years T20 campaign - suspect Notts are a couple of players short & will miss Hales & Ball badly.
Hope to be proved wrong.

Think Hales will only miss the first five games? Ball depends on whether he gets a test call-up. Dan Christian is pretty useful, but not entirely sure why we are bringing Ish Sodhi back. Didn't really do much last time, and with Patel, Nash and Root we already have three spinners, even if we want to protect Matt Carter from the format. Sodhi at his best can still only bowl 4 overs, and his batting isn't up to much.

We need a spare bowler, but will probably have Fletcher, Gurney, Christian, Sodhi, Patel, Mullaney, Nash, Root even if Ball doesn't play. Only Moores, Wessells and Hales (if he plays) are non-bowlers. Surely we should have gone with another international batsman?

Missing 5 of 12 is a hell of a lot! I had the temerity on Twitter to question the re engagement this year of Sodhi only to be absolutely destroyed by Dan Christian.

Haha positive thinking LK - I fear that the damage will have been done ( & we had our time in the Sun last year - was one of my most enjoyable sporting occasions & I've been to more than my fair share of national & international finals across a number of sports ).

After last nights excitement, we have more tonight! Start of the T20 against Warwickshire aka Birmingham Bears. Looking forward to it on yet another glorious day. I should be old enough and wise enough by now to know it won't last, but after a couple of sunny weeks you always assume it will stay the same till the end of summer! Mind you I'm not a great one for the hot weather. Took a saunter down to Attenborough nature reserve for ten minutes whilst someone else washed all the seagull poop off my car! No camera, so sods law I saw the black swan for the first time. There used to be one at Colwick. Wonder if it's moved, or has another one got lost on a day out in Australia!?

Well, after all the excitement the cricket was rubbish. Notts batsmen never got going. The batting was even weaker than I expected with 4 bowlers playing (Ball, Fletcher, Gurney and Sodhi). With Patel, Mullaney and Christian playing we only need 3 bowlers max. Not really sure what other batsmen we have now. Libby is a 4 day player (at best!). I suppose Fraine is next in line. Is Root good enough? At 25 he needs to cement his place in the team, and it looks like Nash could be out injured now too.

Ironic that Hales was there in full cricket gear, but was only allowed to watch!

Last edited:
After the first eleven, we seem to have a load of young bowlers - Carter, Luke Wood, Milnes, Blatherwick and Kitt to mention just a few. On the batting side we have lost Taylor J, Taylor B, Lumb, Smith and only brought in Nash. Ross Taylor has gone back too.The fact we signed Fraine then played him the next game implies we have no decent batsmen coming through, another reason why we should have got another batsman for the T20.

I don't know what his keeping is like (seems ok from what little I know about it!) , but Tom Moores looks like he has a good future here after making a promising batting start in replacing Chris Read.

Last edited:
Did you go to the England India match at Trent Bridge yesterday, TPL. Ironic that no Notts players played, with Hales injured and Ball dropped.
Notts are at Derbyshire tonight. We should win, but in T20 you only need one batsman to get going to get a strange result. Madsen, Godleman and a couple of others are capable of that.

Just flown back in from hols today LK - hence not there but also missed the 3 away T20’s.
Will be at TB Tues & Fri - just hope we retain our winning habit!

Well, just as I was beginning to think I might have my words stuffed back down my throat, we see another pathetic performance.
I’m afraid the powers that be at TB got carried away by last seasons tremendous achievements - but the time to strengthen is when you are doing well. Several players should be nowhere near our first choice X1 - Fraine & Root being the obvious candidates from last night ( not that I’m blaming them for the shambolic collapse ).
The 3 away wins were at Northampton, Derby & Leicester - but these are surely ( along with Durham - yes the team that beat us last night ) the weakest counties on the circuit.

Last night was a bit of a disaster. You can never tell whether it's a good pitch or whether they were batting well/we were bowling badly, but Durham made batting look easy, and it was a shame that Latham didn't get his hundred. 185 off 20 overs is only a reasonable target nowadays. At 67-0 after 29 balls, I was starting to get bored as we were going to win so easily. 118 off 91 balls required. Then we went mad with terrible batting. Even when Fletcher came in, he only needed singles and to leave it to Dan Christian. So what does he do - tonks it in the air and gets caught ! Moores and Newell SHOULD know more than us, but I'm not convinced on this one. As you say, Fraine and Root aren't up to it. Why didn't we bring in an overseas batsman, and use Carter as the spinner, or if we want to protect him Root, as we already have numerous bowlers.