Notts Cricket Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Well yesterday the weather forecast for today was a whole day of rain with lightning . What do we get - a sunny day! Went down - a new record one day crowd of over 14,000! Just a shame that Notts fast bowlers got bashed all over the place, whilst debutant Matt Carter took 4-40 off his ten overs. Don't think I have seen a spinner with such a slow walk up! He makes Patel look like he is a dynamic bowler, though behind the stroll up there is obviously some well thought out bowling. Hopefully he has a decent career ahead of him. Incidentally he's the brother of former Notts player Andy Carter.

By the time we batted, the weather turned overcast, which seemed to make batting more difficult for us, and we were never really in it.

Need to win at least 2 of our last 3 Royal London games to get through to the last 8. 3 more wins may get us a home tie. Hopefully Hales will be back for the next game now the IPL has finished, but he has hardly played, so will he be in form? Some interesting decisions to be made over the bowlers too. Was Gurney rested for the last game, or was he injured?

Well you never know which team is going to turn up!
Looked to be behind the eight ball today making 200 & not even batting out our overs.
And then the bowlers excelled - led by Fletch ( match winning performance ) & another encouraging 10 over stint from Matt Carter.

Really enjoyed it yesterday. Thought it was a better game than those where the batsmen tonk it all over the place. At half-time we looked like we had thrown it away. 202 against a Worcestershire side that had chased down 380 on Tuesday didn't really look enough. When they started batting it became clear that this was a difficult pitch to bat on, and when the run rate reached more than one a ball, it always looked like our game, except when they hit a six and four off two balls.

Really enjoyed it yesterday. Thought it was a better game than those where the batsmen tonk it all over the place. At half-time we looked like we had thrown it away. 202 against a Worcestershire side that had chased down 380 on Tuesday didn't really look enough. When they started batting it became clear that this was a difficult pitch to bat on, and when the run rate reached more than one a ball, it always looked like our game, except when they hit a six and four off two balls.
Lienking do you know why we haven't used the new no 11 much as it appears we are wasting a player at the moment?

Lienking do you know why we haven't used the new no 11 much as it appears we are wasting a player at the moment?

Due to slow bowlers ruling in limited over cricket he was there just in case. When he was warming up in practice he seemed to have talent, in which case his day will come.

Assume you mean Blatherwick, as Gurney is number 11? (11th on the batting list). The first game I would guess the plan was to split 10 overs between him and Carter, but Carter bowled really well. The second game despite Fletcher bowling really well, was more suited to slow bowlers. Carter, Patel,Mullaney and even Nash had a go with the ball ! We do seem to play a lot of these games with someone who doesn't really do much - Sam Wood, Root (not to quite the same extent) and now Blatherwick, though he's in the early days of his career.

Agreed Lienking. Can only assume that Blatherwick was selected as a genuine third seamer. The track though proved more conducive to slow / spin - hence Matt Carter getting 10 & even Nash getting 5. Jake Ball was used sparingly ( 6 overs ) & as a result Blatherwick missed out. Nothing more sinister than that...

The NP says Gurney will miss the last two 50 over matches, so I would guess Blatherwick will get his chance next week.

Opposite to last season as reliant on some excellent bowling this season.However ,saying that, great batting display by Mullaney. Well done Notts!

Second win on the trot that has been rescued from the jaws of defeat.
And another impressive bowling performance from the young sprog Matt Carter.

Massive game on Thursday against Derbys. Looks like the winners will go through, and the losers will go out. The top two (Warks and Worc.) are also playing each other, so a decent win could possibly take us into the top two, which I assume would get us a home game in the next round.

Now Ball has been called up for the England squad! Hales is available for the game this week, so presumably Ball will be too. IF we get through, they presumably won't be available next week, which is a farce. Maybe they will let Broad play, though he seems to reserve his best games for England.

From what I can see none of the ODI’s against Aus clash with our white ball games - although whether the ECB would release Ball / Hales for any RLC quarters / semis if we were to get there must be doubtful.
If they were to be selected for the ODI’s against India then we are knackered - they could miss 5 x T20 games!
With regard to the 4 day game Ball could miss 3 games ( Hales of course doesn’t play red ball cricket any more ).
And the ECB have confirmed that Broad will not be allowed to play in the next 4 day game ( Somerset ) with no guarantee that he would be allowed to play in any other games.
The ECB couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery!!!

You fellows seem to be getting an awful lot of cricket at the moment, could this be because TV is involved or is there some other reason ? You'll be seeing a vastly different Aussie side this time round for the ODIs, the normal pace attack is completely gone, no Smith or Warner, and other changes due to injuries etc. Can't see that we'll be very competitive unless you lot decide to be a bit lenient. Trying not to laugh. What's wrong with Broad ?
Over here our CA has just sold the TV rights for the ODI games to Foxtell so that's another expense I'm not prepared to pay. Bloody annoying.

I'm enjoying reading all your comments on Notts. :tophat:

Broad is in the England test squad (Central contract for tests only). Hales and Ball have central contracts (ie England contracts) only for limited overs cricket. The next test match is on 1st August, but Broad is "owned" by England so despite the fact they don't need him for two months, England can tell Notts he can't play for us. As TPL says they have already said Broad can't play in our 4 day match against Somerset starting on Saturday.

We have a massive game on Thursday . Isn't Broad capable of bowling ten overs for us and recovering in two months!? If we win I assume the Quarter Final is on the 14th June. England are playing Oz in one day games on the 13th and 16th. Presumably a QF with no Hales, Ball and possibly Broad. What is the point in having all these tournaments then stopping the best players playing in them? (Money!).

The World Cup is a massive tournament, but personally I couldn't care less if we beat Oz in a random one day game.