Notts Cricket Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Think I’ll pass on renewing my membership - no refunds this year if Covid continues to stop fans attending games ( treated the same as being lost to the weather ).
Already 3 x 4 day games have gone ( from a maximum of 9 ).
Wonder what we’d be saying if this was the way Forest treated season card holders.

Didn't realize that Notts had won by an innings, I was about to suggest that they bring back Bill Voce but then realized that you fellows wouldn't understand what I was talking about.

Some of us do ORF

Yes, you caught me out there although I'm prepared to bet that you blokes didn't actually see him in action. I was lucky enough to see him play a few times, big burley bloke, I always thought he was impressive even before he bowled his first ball.
Saw a photograph of the ground recently and thought it was quite impressive, nothing like the old days when we sat on movable benches. Bloody uncomfortable too. At that time I was a cadet in the local police force and they employed several old professional cricketers, interesting times.

Yes, you caught me out there although I'm prepared to bet that you blokes didn't actually see him in action. I was lucky enough to see him play a few times, big burley bloke, I always thought he was impressive even before he bowled his first ball.
Saw a photograph of the ground recently and thought it was quite impressive, nothing like the old days when we sat on movable benches. Bloody uncomfortable too. At that time I was a cadet in the local police force and they employed several old professional cricketers, interesting times.

Fair play ORF.
Since his Notts career ended in early fifties(?) I never had the privilege...

You must be even older than me ORF. My earliest memories of Notts cricket are when Reg Simpson used to be a team to Skegness to play the local cricket club every year on a Sunday, as it was pre John Player Sunday League. It was the highlight of the season it was always billed as R. T. Simpson's Notts XL, and usually consisted of most of the Notts 1st X1, and attracted a decent crowd. One of my main memories as a young lad was seeing the players consuming copious amounts of Bateman's beer sat in front of the pavilion as they waited to bat. Always a good day though.

You must be even older than me ORF. My earliest memories of Notts cricket are when Reg Simpson used to be a team to Skegness to play the local cricket club every year on a Sunday, as it was pre John Player Sunday League. It was the highlight of the season it was always billed as R. T. Simpson's Notts XL, and usually consisted of most of the Notts 1st X1, and attracted a decent crowd. One of my main memories as a young lad was seeing the players consuming copious amounts of Bateman's beer sat in front of the pavilion as they waited to bat. Always a good day though.

Yes, definitely older than you, in fact Reg Simpson was in the Nottm City Police Force at the same time that I was a cadet. He was a good looking fellow and very popular with the ladies besides being a good cricketer, he used to play for the Police Force too at that time.
I'm able to keep up with Notts cricket on the computer, not live but all the detail minute by minute, had to go to bed before the Worcs game was over, but can hardly believe the result, Fletcher must have had a field day.
Got to say though that Forest is still my main love, Notts cricket second.

I used to go down to Trent Bridge after school circa 1970 during the Sobers era. Little doubt he was one of the greatest cricketers ever. World class batsman, and are there any other test bowlers who were both fast bowlers and spinners ? Sounds strange for a cricketer, but everything he did was smooth and graceful.

After play I used to collect autographs. Nicest team were Kent, despite having super players like Cowdrey, Knott and Underwood. They would get all 11 players to stay and sign autographs. Yorkshire (Boycott, Illingworth etc) would just walk past you and go home, and unfortunately Sobers was like that too.

Stuck all my autographs in a book with sellotape, now they are all goopy. Sellotape doesn't age well !

Luke Fletcher is having quite a season ! 31 wickets at less than 12, and currently top of the bowling averages (excluding the one wicket players). My dad used to tell me about someone called Gamini Goonesena, who I remember for his name if nothing else !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship/averages

LK, you're just not old enough to remember Goonesena but he played in my day, slow bowler but very destructive and possibly the first of his kind. Terrific to watch and he was somehow able to turn the ball a heck of a long way and took a lot of wickets. Played for his country, I think Ceylon as it possibly was in those days.

Never had the patience to collect autographs.

I used to go down to Trent Bridge after school circa 1970 during the Sobers era. Little doubt he was one of the greatest cricketers ever. World class batsman, and are there any other test bowlers who were both fast bowlers and spinners ? Sounds strange for a cricketer, but everything he did was smooth and graceful.
THE best in my eyes, you didn't mention his world class catching as well. He would open the bowling for West Indes sometimes and then come on later with his spin absolutely incredible player, only thing he didn't do was keep wicket, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he had done that at times as well. How much would an IPL franchise had paid for his services

Think I’ll pass on renewing my membership - no refunds this year if Covid continues to stop fans attending games ( treated the same as being lost to the weather ).
Already 3 x 4 day games have gone ( from a maximum of 9 ).
Wonder what we’d be saying if this was the way Forest treated season card holders.

Yes, don't think I'll be there this summer either. Still not sure what to do about my Forest season ticket at the moment as well. Getting back to normal, and sitting in the middle of 20,000 fans are slightly different things under the current circumstances.

Dearie me. Think I'm fated with my sport this week. Following what must have been the dullest display I have ever seen from a Forest team at the CG, excused by the fact they were mainly young kids, I went to Trent Bridge last night. Great bowling on a difficult to bat on pitch . 126 needed to win off 120 balls. Could be tricky, but then after 40 balls we are 63 for one. At this point , surely the players should engage brains and go for singles. Hales goes for it, gets caught. Duckett gets run out. We still go aerial, and player after player gets caught. Harrison and Mullaney both hit it square to the boundary, same shot, aerial both caught by Darcy Short. Just when we have no chance to win , Carter hits 3 sixes, we now need 3 off the last over to win. (Turns out after the game we would have won with 2). Dane Paterson just needs to get his bat on the ball for a single, and give Carter the strike. He fails to score off the first three, and gets out off the fourth. We have lost by 2 runs . Unbelievable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO50404

Last edited:
Dearie me. Think I'm fated with my sport this week. Following what must have been the dullest display I have ever seen from a Forest team at the CG, excused by the fact they were mainly young kids, I went to Trent Bridge last night. Great bowling on a difficult to bat on pitch . 126 needed to win off 120 balls. Could be tricky, but then after 40 balls we are 63 for one. At this point , surely the players should engage brains and go for singles. Hales goes for it, gets caught. Duckett gets run out. We still go aerial, and player after player gets caught. Harrison and Mullaney both hit it square to the boundary, same shot, aerial both caught by Darcy Short. Just when we have no chance to win , Carter hits 3 sixes, we now need 3 off the last over to win. (Turns out after the game we would have won with 2). Dane Paterson just needs to get his bat on the ball for a single, and give Carter the strike. He fails to score off the first three, and gets out off the fourth. We have lost by 2 runs . Unbelievable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO50404
With a record like that LK just make sure you stay away from Derby on Saturday.

:whist:

Just been watching LIVE Notts V Lancs on the computer, this wasn't available last season over here. No charge either.

Ah the march of time.

I knew Notts would finish behind Lancashire, but can't believe that it was only by half a point. If only we'd dcored those four more runs we needed on Wednesday morning. AS for Warwickshire winning , that's a bit of a farce, as Notts finished ahead of Warwickshire in the first league, yet Warwickshire were given more points to take through to the second league . Notts basically lost all their wins, Warwickshire kept theirs. Notts played ALL the same teams as Warwickshire and scored MORE points than them in those games. That Warwickshire ended up as champions is a farce.