Notts Cricket Thread

Looking forward to another 4 days @ Trent Bridge:
Membership ✅
Suncream ✅
Shades ✅
Grub ✅
Beer Money ✅
Tough shift but someone has to do it...

May have to rethink my plan to spend all 4 days at the game ( probably won’t even last more than 3 ).
Peter Moores suggested that the win over Hants was a very professional performance.
Unfortunately yesterday proved to be the opposite - totally outplayed by Lancs.
The batting line up is just not good enough I’m afraid - made so much worse when Taylor cops a duck & Samit is comically run out by Moores Jnr.

What happened in Samit's run out? Taylor & Samit both ended up at the same end in the last game ! I like to get to one day of each game if I can, but must admit I'm not devoted enough to sit for all 4 days. Hoping the weather/game position etc make it worth me going tomorrow ! Will make do with just checking the scores on the BBC site today.

Thought I might go down for however long we last in the morning, but the forecast is pretty bad, so may not get to any of this one. Not too keen on going to Welbeck to see the next home game either. Nearer to drive to Derby or Leicester to see us play!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/nottinghamshire/averages

This time yesterday the BBC said it was going to rain all morning. Didn't bother going, which is a good job as we didn't last long! Looked at 11.30 and Libby and Moores were putting up resistance. Looked again at 12.15 and it's all over! Did we last an hour? We are still top though.

Poor batting. Two ducks from our overseas star Ross Taylor. Chris Nash, our other batting signing is averaging 12, with a top score of 26 from his 9 innings. Desperately need to improve our batting.

Notts have signed 21 year old batsman Will Fraine. Apparently he already plays for our second eleven. Has gone straight into our squad for the Lancashire game tomorrow.

Underwhelmed. Failed to get either Jennings or Northeast over the line preseason & now dealing in bargain basement - sound familiar?
Let’s hope he comes good - the 50 over batting line up looks thin, particularly in the continued absence of Hales at the IPL.

Today we play our sixth competitive fixture. This is the third game against Lancashire! Whoever does the fixture list needs shooting. Fraine's stats are pretty average - lets hope he proves us all wrong, though I don't think he will play today. Surely Root will come in if we don't play Libby. Libby scores very slowly, but it could be that on a poor wicket runs scored become more important than run rate in a 50 over game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/870785.html

Root playing instead of Libby, but Fraine in for Broad! Presumably Broad is not allowed to play, but surprised we haven't gone for one of the young fast bowlers Kitt or Milnes, as I assume Footitt is injured again (and possibly still out on loan). 3 fast bowlers with Patel, Mullaney and Root making up the other overs. Think Nash can bowl a bit too.

Lancs playing 5 spinners so no surprise that we are looking to get 20 overs out of Mullaney, Patel, Root & Nash.
2 wins from 31 A cricket games @ Old Trafford - doesn’t augur well.

First List A win at Old Trafford in 27 years - an unlikely win after a predominantly ‘backs to the wall’ performance.
I’ll take it though and move on.

First List A win at Old Trafford in 27 years - an unlikely win after a predominantly ‘backs to the wall’ performance.
I’ll take it though and move on.

Yes,really can't believe we won that. With 10 overs left, Lancs were something like 240 for 3, needing only 80 off the last ten overs. The pitch was great for batsmen, but difficult to score quickly on. The difficulty in scoring and some tight bowling made all the difference.

Not too good yesterday. Did we make the wrong decision in not batting first, or did we just not bowl or bat well enough? Lets hope Will Fraine comes good, otherwise he will become another Sam Wood (always seemed to be there to make up the numbers?). Presumably he will be replaced by Hales after this week, as the plan seems to be to go with three bowlers plus Patel and Mullaney, with Root and Nash as back-ups.
Shame that Coughlin isn't fit.

Totally outplayed LK - batting & bowling well below par.
My understanding is that Hales return will be delayed as the Sunrisers will qualify for the knockout stage of the IPL - will miss at least 3 more games by which time it may be too late?
The signing of Fraine is an odd one & suggests a desperate move - what was plan B given that Hales could possibly be snapped up by IPL? And they’ve known about Coughlin for a while.
Add to these the failure to attract either Jennings or Northeast & I detect a less than ambitious approach to building on last season ( especially given the raft of departures - Taylor [James], Taylor [Brendon], Lumb, Smith, Hales ).

Lost Hutton too, and what is wrong with Footitt? Have we done a Forest, and signed a player who is permanently injured? Think Hutton is better than Luke Wood, though I can see why he left bearing in mind he thought Coughlin and Footitt would be playing. Moores is off to a decent start, Ross Taylor a fair start (but could do better), and Nash has been disappointing so far.

Good win yesterday. Apparently 409-7 is the highest score against Leics in a 50 over game. We know what Samit and Wessels can do, but it's nice to see Moores doing well again. Have we found a future England keeper? With the bunch of keepers we are taking to the World Cup, maybe he needs to change sports, as De Gea is impressed!

Another home game today. may go down for the start, but the weather forecast is rubbish. At least with a season ticket you don't pay just to watch it rain, but must admit I don't really want to sit for six hours waiting for them to start again!