Notts Cricket Thread | Page 26 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Watched the England v NZ netball semi-final. Quite entertaining, but not really bothered about the result.

The BBC have an Ashes team selector. I cannot believe that Joe Clarke of Notts is one of the options !! He is currently seventh in the Notts averages , averaging 23.25 . In his first game for us (Yorkshire) he scored 209 runs and was out once. Since then his record is 15 innings, out 15 times, 163 runs av 10.87 . Clarke and Duckett have both been useless this season. England seem to select players on name not form, not that Clarke will be picked. Can't really believe Broad is an option either !

Yes LK, I had to laugh at that as well, does some of these guys good to come down to earth occasionally. At the moment I'm much more interested in which players Forest are going to sign to propel us up the table.

:thumbup:

I have it on good authority we’re about to announce the signings of Smith, Warner & Cameron. They’ll stop at nothing to try & win matches ?

Sorry ORF - a low blow but I couldn’t resist ?

I have it on good authority we’re about to announce the signings of Smith, Warner & Cameron. They’ll stop at nothing to try & win matches ?

Sorry ORF - a low blow but I couldn’t resist ?

Made me smile TPL, those fellows have copped a lot of stick over here too although all 3 will end up playing for Australia again but in Smiths case I can't see him ever captaining Oz again. That will really hurt him.
I did notice that there's no game scheduled for Trent Bridge in this Ashes series, that wouldn't happen too often would it ? And I have the feeling that you blokes will have the last laugh, too many problems with our lot at the moment.
I don't know how enthusiasm is for the game in England but it seems to be on the wain here, registered players appear to be down compared to just about all other team sports, perhaps T20 and 1 day games will take over, and the fact that we only have 6 State teams doesn't help. Notice too that if I'm right the football starts at just about the same time as the Ashes. Not very clever.

I enjoy cricket but football is the main attraction, Forest in particular.

English cricket is in a strange place ORF. People are interested in Test cricket, but not County Championship games. With the IPL , Big Bash, and T20 not to mention franchise leagues in the West Indies (Caribbean Premier League), Pakistan (Super League, and even Afghanistan, the better players can give up on County Championship games and still earn more.

Already Notts have lost Gurney (Melbourne Renegades, Kolkata Knight Riders, Quetta Gladiators, Notts T20 only) and Alex Hales . With the advent of "The hundred" and a new Euro T20 slam (Dublin, Belfast,Glasgow, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Rotterdam) , more players are going to have to choose between T20 and the longer formats. Why stand on a field for most of four days, if you can earn more playing for a couple of hours occasionally?

Pleased to see James Pattinson in the Ashes squad . (Though I'd rather see him back here playing for Notts !).

Australia Ashes squad: Tim Paine (capt), Cameron Bancroft, Patrick Cummins, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

Ireland 26 for 6 . Looks like England might escape their embarrassment at nearly losing to a team who's players are generally not even county level !

It does look as though the whole cricket setup is changing, over here we don't seem to see much in the way of a crowd at the State games but the T20 matches pull the crowds in and also the 50 over games but both seem to attract different audiences. International 5 day games, depending on the opposition, also draw a decent crowd mostly, normally a full house for England and to a slightly lesser extent, India. The rest of it depends on who the opposition might be.

Also the best of our players make their living in the T20 games, mostly overseas. Can't blame them either.

And I couldn't see Ireland winning that game !

Looking at the respective sides I wouldn’t be buying a ticket for the 5th day in any of the Ashes Tests this Summer. Both batting line ups are so fragile it wouldn’t surprise me if at least one game didn’t reach even the 4th day.

Looking at the respective sides I wouldn’t be buying a ticket for the 5th day in any of the Ashes Tests this Summer. Both batting line ups are so fragile it wouldn’t surprise me if at least one game didn’t reach even the 4th day.

I should have added that the Ashes games are different in the sense that "The old enemy comes into it, plus the Barmy Army". It's a different feeling, but friendly in spite of that. But you're certainly right about the Aussie side, we seem to be unable to get it right and on top of that our fast bowling attack doesn't always come off either. I wonder some times whether these cricketers just play too much for their own good. I don't know enough about some of your lot to have a decent opinion but that will change in the next few weeks.
I think it will all be on TV here, hope so anyway, the interest never goes away.

I still have an old mate living on the South coast and he's in the habit now and then in the event of an England win of sending me a mug suitably engraved. Gets right up my craw !*-

I'm going back to the TV now to watch the second half of OZ v Argentina in the rugby union, Oz leading 10 - 3 but nothing in it. Good game.

Nice to see James Pattinson in the Aussie eleven. Stuart Broad is off to a good start too. Funny that he never seems to do much for Notts !

Nice to see James Pattinson in the Aussie eleven. Stuart Broad is off to a good start too. Funny that he never seems to do much for Notts !

I watched the first couple of hours and Anderson was the star man although he didn't take a wicket. Broad was lucky enough to take two. My eyes are closing again so will have to read the rest in the morning, just hope that the Aussies can make a fist of it. Smith and Head are starting to look settled.

Watching the second day, England 22 for 1, Roy caught Smith bowled Pattinson. First time I've seen Pattinson, he's got brains as well as ability.

Don't know where we'd be without Smith.

I thought you found that out last year !

I did.
England 301 for 8, this game is turning out so far much tighter than I thought it would, and if it wasn't for a very fragile Aussie batting lineup we might have a chance. Even Smith in his present form can't keep that up. At the moment though it's great to watch.

I did.
England 301 for 8, this game is turning out so far much tighter than I thought it would, and if it wasn't for a very fragile Aussie batting lineup we might have a chance. Even Smith in his present form can't keep that up. At the moment though it's great to watch.
Australia are favourites now.The loss of Anderson and batting last will be difficult for England now.

Australia are favourites now.The loss of Anderson and batting last will be difficult for England now.

Yes it will be Ingy, Anderson is my long time favourite fast bowler, trouble is he.s getting a bit long in the tooth now but even so our batting lineup leaves an awful lot to be desired and Smith can't do it every time. We've been in this fix for 18 months now and are no nearer to fixing the batting than we were. Should make for an exciting finish, we're lucky here, it's all on TV, all you have to do is stay awake. I usually watch til lunchtime, then my eyes won't obey my instructions.

Are you able to watch ?

Yeah I am watching it ORF.I expect England to fail with the bat under pressure....hoping for some rain. Also hoping they will prove me wrong chap!