Notts Cricket Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Another good win. Need some early points on the board, as we are notorious for fading later on in the season. Even last season we were miles clear, and only just scraped promotion at the end. We are the Derby of cricket !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/nottinghamshire/averages

Same link as before, but this shows what County cricket has been like so far this summer. We are top of the league despite 4 of our top 6 batsmen averaging less than 15 ! In 3 games the highest score from any of our players is the 57 by Ross Taylor. Good to see that Tom Moores is off to a good start with the bat. Hopefully his glove work is up to scratch too.

Four bowlers averaging less than 15 per wicket. Great to see Luke Fletcher doing well after the blow to the head ruled him out for part of last season.

It's nice to see all four of our fast bowlers in the top seven of the bowling averages at this early stage.

Looks like a good bank holiday of sport for me:

Friday - Trent Bridge
Fri eve - City Ground
Saturday - Trent Bridge ( or Northampton Saints v Worcester Warriors )?
Sunday - Bolton
Monday - Trent Bridge

Sorted...

Just found out that our Cricket Association has sold the 50 over games to Pay TV to which I don't subscribe. And don't intend to either. What a bummer. We still keep the proper cricket on free to air so that's something, I really can't believe that we need the cash, some of our players are overpaid already. Times are changing for the worse.

It's giving me the pip !

Mark Footitt gone back to Derbyshire on loan for 28 days. He was on the verge of the England team when he moved to Surrey in 2015. Hasn't done anything to prove that Notts decision to sign him was right, and appears to be behind Luke Wood at the moment. Hopefully he will regain form and fitness, and show what he can do again.

Not Notts but informative. We have just appointed a new coach, Justin Langer, at one time a good opening bat for Oz. He has just finished transforming W.A. from has beens into a good competitive side, a straightup family man who with a bit of luck will make our Test players into a side with principles instead of the rubbish which happened in S.A.

Hope you fellows will let me know in due course.

An interesting days play yesterday. Libby looked like he couldn't hit a dead fly. He needs to improve if he is going to keep his place. Mullaney and Patel gave their wickets away trying to hit, and Ross Taylor learnt that Samit doesn't do quick singles! Taylor and Patel both ended up at the same end of the pitch, just when Notts were going really well.

Need to bowl well today, as Amla and Rossouw look dangerous.

Need to bowl well again today! Hants need 358 to win still, so we have plenty of runs to play with. Seems a decent batting track now, so we will probably need to work hard. Need to get some points on the table, as we have a habit of fading later on in the season.

Straightforward win in the end - encouraging to see all bowlers contributing.
Interesting to note that Hants - last season - won just 3 matches ( drew 8 & lost 3 ) & yet finished mid table.
First target ( imho ) is to retain division one status - promising start.

The BBC currently has a selector where you can choose your own England team. Interesting that as well as Broad and Ball, Samit Patel has become one of about twenty or so players you can choose from.

The BBC currently has a selector where you can choose your own England team. Interesting that as well as Broad and Ball, Samit Patel has become one of about twenty or so players you can choose from.

We want none of that. We want them firing on all cylinders at Trent Bridge like Stuart Broad did against Hants on a rare appearance for Notts.

Another home game tomorrow, and we need to get some more points on the board before we lose Broad, and possibly Ball. I don't think Ball will make the England team, so it's doubly annoying when he gets in the England squad, misses the Notts game (or part of it), then doesn't play for England.

Got commitments tomorrow and Saturday, but hoping to get down there on Sunday.