Notts Cricket Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Worst kept secret - but great news!

Clearly been after him for ages, but only two weeks since ORF reported he was returning from another injury, so let's hope he lasts the four months. Think it's time to get my season ticket again! Some games against Northampton next week, free to everyone.

First day down at Trent Bridge today. Think this is the earliest the County Championship has started, and it was quite nippy. Came home at tea, but we dropped Root, and I believe we dropped a second chance off him later. No Pattinson yet, but we are off to a decent start, with a debut century from Clarke, though we didn't really build on that today.

I missed the 2nd day ( as I made the ‘mistake’ of preferring to go to Rotherham ).
What a player have we got in Joe Clarke - but how much will we see of him at Trent Bridge ( especially as his runs in this game are being witnessed first hand by both the England captain & national selector [ James Taylor ] )?
Some of the things that your hear from Notts members ( it’s not just football fans that can be numpties ) are priceless:
1. On day one ( before a ball was bowled ) the guy in front of me was bemoaning the fact that he might have to watch Notts ‘bat all day’! ( I was dumbfounded ).
2. Today ( day three ) I elected to watch from the pavilion ( always a good source of imbecilic comments ).
- Guy to my left talking to his mates when Samit came on to bowl ‘He’s only got one ball & he’s bowling far too flat’. Result 3 wickets in 4 overs!
- Same guy a few minutes later when Slater lost his wicket. ‘Worried that we might collapse’ ( Notts were 6/1 at the time but effectively 123/1 in the context of the game ).
- Same guy just 5 minutes later. ‘Nash is an accident waiting to happen - he’d better find a different way off the pitch back to the dressing room when he’s out’ ( I didn’t catch his comments after lunch when Nash then made his 50 ).

All of the above comments are exactly as I heard them.

Notts enjoy a membership of circa 8,000 but a good number of them are bloody clueless ( hence my preference usually to sit at square leg / point - as far away from some of them as possible ).

Good lead now......Clarke will likely miss out on 2 centuries as we will probably declare overnight do you think TPL?

Would have thought Clarke will be allowed to get second century...if rain would prevent a result anyway....why not?

To be fair TPL Notts do have a history of collapsing (maybe most cricket teams do at times) , and neither Nash or Patel (bowling) did very well last season. In fact none of our regular batsmen averaged much over 30 last season, presumably the reason behind the mass end of season signings. In the last couple of seasons at least, we also start the season well, then go to pot, almost throwing promotion away in 2017, and nearly getting relegated in 2018. In fact, I believe in both seasons we only went up (or survived), because of points deductions to other teams !

As Toms says, I do hope Clarke gets 15 minutes. He's got to be good, they've named one of the stands after him already!

Last edited:
Have to disagree there LK.
I’ll be in my seat at start of play & expect to see Broady or Fletch roaring in at 11.01.
The forecast is now for no rain - in which case going for the win is the only consideration.
PS you’re right of course re Notts ( & others ) having previous - it just annoys me intensely when members ( who claim to know the game ) are so negative. And don’t get me started about those that continue to walk around ( at the front of the pavilion ) during the over - bloody halfwits!

Bit of a disappointing day. Two wickets in the first hour, then nothing for the rest of the day. Root and Ballance easily batted the day out.

A young lad in front of me had his photo taken with Joe Root. It had been printed off, and Root came out of the pavilion before the game to sign his picture and gave him a pair of signed batting gloves too. A nice touch!

When I was his age Gary Sobers played for us. Just used to march past autograph hunters and go home !

Well thank God Yorkshire are like a leopard that never changes its spots!
Whilst a Yorkshire win would’ve been somewhat of a travesty ( Notts could’ve batted on & on ) they gave up on a possible victory incredibly tamely. With 17 overs left & 10 an over required ( and 2 England batsmen well established ) I would’ve wanted my team to at least give it a go for say 5 or 6 overs - but they walked off when they were the only team in with a chance of winning.

TPL it was obviously a good batting wicket, but at the same time no one actually managed to score runs particularly quickly. Ten an over isn't much in one day cricket, but presumably Notts could simply have put 6 or 7 fielders on the boundary. Coughlin tried to buy a wicket with a leg side field, but generally scoring was pretty slow. I gave up at tea and came home, as I did on Saturday too.

TPL it was obviously a good batting wicket, but at the same time no one actually managed to score runs particularly quickly. Ten an over isn't much in one day cricket, but presumably Notts could simply have put 6 or 7 fielders on the boundary. Coughlin tried to buy a wicket with a leg side field, but generally scoring was pretty slow. I gave up at tea and came home, as I did on Saturday too.

Ditto - I also left at tea. Stand by my assertion though that Yorkshire could / should have at least ‘tested the water’ for 5 or 6 overs - absolutely nothing to lose.

Think I'm fated at the cricket ! After I missed what seemed like an entertaining day, went today and saw one wicket in three hours. Abell and Barratt both got centuries against Notts. In the last game Root and Ballance scored centuries too, so I've hardly seen Notts get any wickets and the last four opposition batsmen all got hundreds. Added to going on day two of the first game when Notts collapsed, not really seen the best of them yet ! Being a few degrees warmer would make the cricket more enjoyable too !

Lancashire on the 19th April. Think Pattinson will be here for that one, so let's hope we get more entertainment then !

Think I'm fated at the cricket ! After I missed what seemed like an entertaining day, went today and saw one wicket in three hours. Abell and Barratt both got centuries against Notts. In the last game Root and Ballance scored centuries too, so I've hardly seen Notts get any wickets and the last four opposition batsmen all got hundreds. Added to going on day two of the first game when Notts collapsed, not really seen the best of them yet ! Being a few degrees warmer would make the cricket more enjoyable too !

Lancashire on the 19th April. Think Pattinson will be here for that one, so let's hope we get more entertainment then !

Agree with that summary LK - we look pretty toothless in the field ( I left at lunch today having seen most of the game yesterday ).
Pattinson can’t come quick enough.

Saw 1 wicket in three and a half hours . Eight more went down after I came home !
Massive fight on now to even get a draw out of this one.

Well not quite the start to the season I envisaged - a tame draw against the Yorkies & a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Somerset ( totally outplayed ).
Thank god we have Pattinson fit & raring to go - we need him.
Just wonder if Clarke was under immense pressure over the last few days given his mates’ court case - hopefully he’ll recover in plenty of time for Friday.

Well , seen 823 runs today ! Despite scoring 417 for 7, Notts looked like they had lost this till James Pattinson stepped in with a match winning performance. That's 7 centuries I've seen in my last three days down at Trent Bridge.

Last edited:
Well , seen 823 runs today ! Despite scoring 417 for 7, Notts looked like they had lost this till James Pattinson stepped in with a match winning performance. That's 7 centuries I've seen in my last three games down at Trent Bridge.

Only got there as Notts were just concluding their innings - clearly missed a treat. Was resigned to defeat when Lancs were @ 370/5 - rescued by James Pattinson.
The bowling resources were stretched to the limit with the failure of Zac Chappell to produce anything like what was required.
One question - was Hales not considered? Surely the ECB didn’t prevent him from playing ( or have I just answered my own question )?