Notts Cricket Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Who does Cummins play for? Must admit I hadn't realised till yesterday that Dan Christian, James Pattinson and Peter Siddle all play for Victoria, so I assume we have fairly strong connections with them.

Who does Cummins play for? Must admit I hadn't realised till yesterday that Dan Christian, James Pattinson and Peter Siddle all play for Victoria, so I assume we have fairly strong connections with them.

KL, Pat Cummins plays for NSW and is a regular in India as well. He's also a decent lower order batsman and a regular in our Test side. And don't laugh but I think he's injured at the moment. If you can sign him you're on a winner.

Just out of interest here is an extract from Wikipedia about Alex Hales

"Hales first came to national attention in 2005 when, as a sixteen-year-old, he hit 55 off a single over (three no-balls, eight sixes, one four) in a Cricket Idol T20 tournament at Lords. [3] Ironically, he had been picked for his fast bowling ability. "

Three no balls = 9 balls
Eight sixes and a four =52 off 9 balls
Must have run the other 3 during the bowlers run up !

Seem to be a lot of injuries in cricket now, especially fast bowlers, Notts signed Paul Coughlin at the end of the summer in 2017. He immediately got injured playing for the England Lions (sort of England second eleven), In the West Indies if I remember correctly. He couldn't bowl all season (which is his strong point), but attempted unsuccessfully to play a couple of T20 games for us as a batsman.

We also lost Nash for half the season (bad injury diving to take a catch), and then Jake Ball started to suffer from fast bowling injuries which took him out from a lot of games at the end of the season, and helped him lose his England contract.

Hopefully they all get fit, and we have more luck next season !

Hello LK, nice to see you back on the cricket channel. You're right about fast bowlers and injuries, the jury seem s to think that it's largely due to the amount of the game that they now play. While it just used to be for the season ( old term ) now days it's nearly possible to play for the whole 12 months, so it's no wonder that they tend to perhaps try to do too much.
It does remind me of when I was very much younger and tried my hand at fast bowling. It was hard work and I gave it away in favour of slow bowling, off breaks which had an immediate result with very little effort.

These days it seems to be a short life and a gay one for some good fast bowlers. And who could blame them ?

And I'm enjoying Brexit as well.

:whist:

LK, a bit of good news just to hand. Both Pattinson and Cummins are back in training and both expect to be ready to play at the beginning of November. I think we might have a series with India at that time and if correct would expect to see them both playing.

Just noticed that James Pattinson is playing for Victoria again. Wonder if he will be available again for next season?

I wouldn't if I was him. Year round cricket does take it's toll of cricketers especially fast bowlers.

A short life and a gay one RB. It's hard to blame these young fast bowlers though, a chance to make serious cash in a short space of time and set yourself up for life. Yesterday I made the mistake of watching S.A. slaughter Oz in the first of 3 one day series, Cummins was playing but didn't manage anything much. possibly not quite ready yet. Our team is in a state of complete rebuild at the moment and it looks as though we have a very long way to go.

A short life and a gay one RB. It's hard to blame these young fast bowlers though, a chance to make serious cash in a short space of time and set yourself up for life. Yesterday I made the mistake of watching S.A. slaughter Oz in the first of 3 one day series, Cummins was playing but didn't manage anything much. possibly not quite ready yet. Our team is in a state of complete rebuild at the moment and it looks as though we have a very long way to go.

Just hope that England don't continue to poach our players. If they do we will never rebuild. Haven't seen much of Stuart Broad during his career at Notts. English footballers don't have to virtually leave their clubs to play for their country.

Just a quick word to bring you up to date on Pattinson.

He set up Victoria on Monday for a win against South Australia at the MCG taking 3 for 24 in what the papers described as an inspired spell.
This was his first Sheffield Shield game since having back surgery last November. Looks as though he'd be worth having at Trent Bridge again.

And he's not bad with the bat either.

Nothing to do with Notts, or England but OZ are playing India in Adelaide today in the first 5 day game of the series. India won the toss and are batting, but perhaps regretting it as they are 56 for 4 at lunch. Starc and Cummins 1 wicket each, Haxlewood 2. Temperature in the middle 40 degrees.
I pass this bit of info on just in case there happen to be any Indian supporters reading this !
And our batting is a bit up and down too. Well a lot really so it might be interesting.

:tophat:

The IPL auction takes place a week today. 4 x Notts players are looking to be picked up - Gurney, Patel, Hales & Christian.
Christian is only contracted for T20 - but the other 3 ( if successful ) could miss 4 x 4 day matches & the entire programme of RLC group games.
Just have to hope that no one wants them.

The IPL auction takes place a week today. 4 x Notts players are looking to be picked up - Gurney, Patel, Hales & Christian.
Christian is only contracted for T20 - but the other 3 ( if successful ) could miss 4 x 4 day matches & the entire programme of RLC group games.
Just have to hope that no one wants them.

We will miss Hales, but Patel had a poor season last year and though Gurney is pretty good, we have a few decent replacements for him now. Ball, Coughlin, Fletcher, Chappell, and maybe Broad will be available early season, and Footitt fit again.

I've been lucky enough to watch the first 2 games of Oz v India and they have both turned out to be beauties, the first won by India by just a few runs, the second won today in Perth by Oz, Indias last 4 wickets going for 2 runs.
Kohli made an excellent century in his first innings but the game was dominated by the bowlers, particularly by the fast men on both sides.
I can't name the 4 Indian bowlers but for Australia it was Starc, Cummings, and Hazlewood. Any one of those 7 players would be a godsend for Notts.
Sorry to say it but I found both of these games much better to watch than the last series of Australia/England tests. Sign of the times perhaps ?

Kolkata Knight Riders have signed Harry Gurney for the IPL for £85k, so looks like Notts might have to start the season off without him. Hales hasn't been signed up, but if I remember correctly he was called up as a late replacement last time.

Notts have had four players called up by England Lions. Three of them are new signings Ben Duckett, Joe Clarke and Zak Chappell. They have all been called up for both the 50 over tour, and A Test tour of India. Matt Carter has also been called up for the 50 over tour.

Good to see Carter getting some recognition, and I hope he gets more game time for Notts this season.