Notts Cricket Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

Joe Clarke confirmed on a 4 year deal - worst kept secret of the season.
Fair play to Newell, Moores et al - I accused them ( rightly I believe ) of complacency after last seasons success but they are building a good squad for next season.
As was said earlier - just need a quality overseas player, preferably a bowler.

Cricket results aren't going ou r way...we had better bat well or it could be relegation!

Well having spent several hours down at TB today my impression is that Steve Birks has been asked to prepare a flat - no result - wicket. A draw will suit us fine...

Last edited:
Well having spent several hours down at TB today my impression is that Steve Burns has been asked to prepare a flat - no result - wicket. A draw will suit us fine...

TPL, that sort of game used to bore me stiff, that's one reason why I've found 50 over cricket more enjoyable, at least you get a result. Unless the weather gets involved.

Looks like we are safe but no thanks to our players who have been shambolic in this match

Futures of Patel Wessels libby and mullaney need to be considered. One day players maybe. We need another opener and a proper spin bowler at least. Very very poor and we got lucky

Very lucky LK!
Both our bowlers & batsmen must’ve been playing on a different track to Somerset. The bowlers yesterday were toothless & the least said about today’s batting the better!
Only reason we survived was Lancs losing last 3 wickets for nowt when they were just 27 runs from relegating us.
Agree re Mullaney - a captain he is not!

Will Fraine has been snapped up by Yorkshire on a three year deal ! May prove me wrong, but he certainly hasn't done anything at Notts to make me think he is a great loss. Billy Root has a year left on his contract, but I would have thought Notts would be happy to release him if he gets any other offers.

Lucky to stay up, but we had some bad luck with injuries - Coughlin, Nash and Ball all missing a significant number of games.

Hopefully next season they will be fit, and at least now we have more competition for places. Maybe Hales will return full time after the World Cup too.

Well Newells comments suggest we didn’t try to keep Wessels - but at 32 years old a 3 year contract would’ve been difficult to justify.
Similarly Fraine has been given a 3 year deal by Yorkshire. Agree with LK here - surely not earned such a contract.
For me Nash should be jettisoned - done nothing to suggest he was a good signing.
Can’t see Hales ever playing red ball cricket again - without the incentive of an England place why should he put himself through another 56 days of cricket each year for ( relatively ) peanuts. Not the keenest workhorse - happy to sell his wares across the T20 tournaments around the world ( can’t say I blame him ).

If Nash is jettisoned, we need another proper opener. Mullaney never really cut it for me as an opener

Not surprisingly Billy Root has been allowed to leave. Joined Glamorgan on a two year contract. Hopefully he will get more of a chance there and have a successful career. Meanwhile our new signings of Slater, Duckett and Clarke need to show the promise they have. Though the T20 and 50 over cricket is more level, it is one thing averaging 40 with the bat in division two. It is another thing doing it in division one. Wessells and Patel averaged about 50 in 2017, but couldn't reach 30 in the top division.

Any more signings in the offing?

Can't see any more signing news. Still need to sort out our overseas players for next season though. Presumably the ECB will also need to make some announcements regarding the "hundred" at some stage too.

Any news on James Pattinson, ORF ? If I remember correctly he was out injured not long after leaving Notts in 2017, so he must have been out injured over a year now. We desperately need someone like him next season.

Any news on James Pattinson, ORF ? If I remember correctly he was out injured not long after leaving Notts in 2017, so he must have been out injured over a year now. We desperately need someone like him next season.

Oz needs him just as much as Notts LK but no news that I know of, will try to find out something definite and let you know.
Meanwhile we managed to draw with Pakistan in the desert !

LK, regarding Pattinson. He is still injured although he's talking of a comeback this season. He's been unlucky in the sense that he seems to clear up one injury only to get the next one. Not the only fast bowler to cop that. Pretty sure that he won't be appearing for either Notts or Oz any time soon, if ever.
Get the impression over here that Cummins is likely to be the next cab off the rank. Only one way to find out.