Notts County v Mansfield | Vital Football

Notts County v Mansfield

Lienking

Vital Football Hero
Went to the match yesterday to see how the Forest lads are getting on. Anyone who thinks MON plays hoofball should have been compelled to go and see this ! Walker had a thunderous shot go well over the bar after about 5 minutes, but Mansfield couldn't muster a single shot on target in the whole game, so I won't hold my breath that Walker and Grant will make it here.

Grant did take some reasonable dead ball kicks, but neither of the above did anything in a poor quality game. Despite their league positions what little class football there was came from Notts, with Craig Mackail -Smith scoring a great goal. Jordan Smith had a pretty good game, but his kicking is still no better than Pants. He did make a good save from Doyle, who took some great corners, and the save actually came from a swerving corner that would have gone straight in.

Gomis for Notts had some nice touches and seemed pretty quick, but he was playing against two centre-halves who were about as mobile as me ! In fact Turner could (and probably should) have been sent off for a two armed rugby tackle on Mackail-Smith after about ten minutes.

Though Mansfield improved their passing in the second half, what little football there was came from Notts, which looks promising for them for their latest version of The Great Escape. Don't think any of the Forest players will make it here, though Smith looked reliable, and early days for Gomis.

Thanks for the update.

A few of us on here having being saying for the last 2 seasons they aren't good enough.

Cheers for that.

There was a time when Grant was scoring for fun and it looked like he was finally kicking in but behind the goals there was no real substance and when the goals dried up...

Walker unfortunately is league one at best and Smith won’t ever be more than a jobbing Championship keeper unless something remarkable happens.

Gomis could have a future but there’s a long way to go.

Sad to say, the absolutely dire standard of teams at the bottom of L2 mean that Notts will probably survive now they have spent a load of money again.

Not sure quite how financially viable the club is- their wage bill must be astronomical.

I would urge them not to bother with the buckets at the CG next time the financial chickens come to roost. Plenty of us remember and won't be fooled into doing that again

Thanks LK, that's the sort of information we don't get enough of on here, and it's important. I think it was Apollyon throwing a bit of doubt on the quality of some of our youngsters and that echoes the opinion I've had for a while now. Always good though to hear from a supporter who has actually seen them play.

And I still have a soft spot for Notts, don't care about the buckets, that happened at a different time and different circumstances.

Thanks LK, that's the sort of information we don't get enough of on here, and it's important. I think it was Apollyon throwing a bit of doubt on the quality of some of our youngsters and that echoes the opinion I've had for a while now. Always good though to hear from a supporter who has actually seen them play.

And I still have a soft spot for Notts, don't care about the buckets, that happened at a different time and different circumstances.

It was the buckets quickly followed by the crocodilian attitude when Munto came along, followed by "save us" again.

And the Yates thing rankles.

Doesn't matter now- the other side's are so shit, they'll survive and we'll never hear the end of it.

Nottingham can forget about 2 European cups- Notts have finished above 23rd in league 2!

Take it easy Pope, you'll give yourself a heart attack. I didn't say I liked the way that Notts had acted, just that I didn't care. Particularly in the case of Yates, that would wrankle if I let it. But there's more to life.
Your quip about 2 European cups and Notts finishing above 23rd might be considered a bit offensive by some but I happen to be in a fairly considerate mood this evening so I'll forget it.

:yes:

Take it easy Pope, you'll give yourself a heart attack. I didn't say I liked the way that Notts had acted, just that I didn't care. Particularly in the case of Yates, that would wrankle if I let it. But there's more to life.
Your quip about 2 European cups and Notts finishing above 23rd might be considered a bit offensive by some but I happen to be in a fairly considerate mood this evening so I'll forget it.

:yes:

Offensive?

Seriously, of all the things that have been said to you by various people on this forum, that is the closest thing to offensive? Not seeing what you are seeing, sorry.

My point was that it was about atmosphere. Not trying to play the 'nottingham' card, but you felt it more if you were here when they suddenly became 'rich'.

But some people care, some dont

Oh dear Pope, you were the poster who all of a sudden pulled Forest into the post. Not needed and pointless, wasted on me. And as for caring, I've probably spent more years caring about Nottingham football than you've had hot dinners.

But it's all about opinions and that's the only way I've ever seen it and I won't be changing any time soon.

Oh dear Pope, you were the poster who all of a sudden pulled Forest into the post. Not needed and pointless, wasted on me. And as for caring, I've probably spent more years caring about Nottingham football than you've had hot dinners.

But it's all about opinions and that's the only way I've ever seen it and I won't be changing any time soon.

ORF, if I have said something that has upset or offended you then please accept my sincere apologies.

Pope, you're very generous with your apologies and it's appreciated although I'm not offended. This forum is all about different opinions and I value yours even when I may not agree.
Your views are at times a bit divisive but even so they're worth reading and make a major contribution to this forum.

Don't stop now.

:cheers:

Never disliked Notts, in fact for a short period around 1970 I did used to go and watch them on the non-Forest weekend. I was brought up supporting Forest though, and found after a bit that I didn't have the passion for them. I have always looked for their results (and Mansfield). This did change a bit after we played them in the Sven Munto friendly game. I turned up early to buy a ticket in the Forest section, but they wouldn't take cash for that bit! Bought a ticket in the Notts bit, and couldn't believe the abuse Forest got when they ran out, plus a bloke tormenting some young Forest fans on the way back about how Notts were one of the richest teams in Europe! They had just beaten us too, if I remember correctly.

Never disliked Notts, in fact for a short period around 1970 I did used to go and watch them on the non-Forest weekend. I was brought up supporting Forest though, and found after a bit that I didn't have the passion for them. I have always looked for their results (and Mansfield). This did change a bit after we played them in the Sven Munto friendly game. I turned up early to buy a ticket in the Forest section, but they wouldn't take cash for that bit! Bought a ticket in the Notts bit, and couldn't believe the abuse Forest got when they ran out, plus a bloke tormenting some young Forest fans on the way back about how Notts were one of the richest teams in Europe! They had just beaten us too, if I remember correctly.

I used to have a good mate who supported Notts and had to go with him at times, in turn he used to go with me to see Forest. This was before 1970, well before and times were different to what we have now. The enmity didn't seem to exist then, nothing like today. By the time we'd walked home the Football News was out and it was time to check on either Forest or Notts, followed by Mansfield, always the same. It was a ritual, probably goes some way to explaining my current views, they haven't changed except that Lincoln has been added this last few years. Must add that at times Notts were worth watching.

Losing 3-1. Good. Fuck ‘em.
They have plenty of time to turn it round and Stead and Makail-Smith to bring on.

I don't trust these L2 teams to do their jobs properly any more.

Would be a great result of it did finish this way though- stent their momentum

I used to have a good mate who supported Notts and had to go with him at times, in turn he used to go with me to see Forest. This was before 1970, well before and times were different to what we have now. The enmity didn't seem to exist then, nothing like today. By the time we'd walked home the Football News was out and it was time to check on either Forest or Notts, followed by Mansfield, always the same. It was a ritual, probably goes some way to explaining my current views, they haven't changed except that Lincoln has been added this last few years. Must add that at times Notts were worth watching.

I remember watching Forest at Meadow Lane after our Main Stand burnt down. The wooden flooring shook as people jumped up and down. I believe we played six games there and didn't win once.

Later, after Clough became Forest manager, walking up London Road with a mate as people came out of Meadow Lane after an evening match. Almost bumped into Clough, Taylor and a couple of kids, one of whom must have been Nigel. I had long hair in those days and I'm sure BC gave me a look of disdain.