Notre Dame | Vital Football

Notre Dame

buckielugger

Vital 1st Team Regular
Not strictly about Lincoln, but of all clubs, we must have biggest Cathedral link of all.
We are Imps after all...

Anyway, whilst sat watching the near total loss of this historic cathedral, I decided to look up when Lincoln's suffered its two big destructions, the fire and then the earthquake.

Spookily, the Lincoln earthquake occurred on this very date, April 15th, in 1185....

Seems they launched an appeal for money to repair it a while back. Wonder if Ken Richardson has put anything in.

There was also the storm in 1549 that removed the central spire, meaning that the cathedral was no longer the world's tallest building.

Awful, 2nd architectural icon badly damaged by fire in recent years following Glasgow School of Art.

My wife and I did the Cathedral roof tour last year - well worth it. But what is happening at Notre Dame illustrates how vulnerable it could be in a fire, with the ancient timbers from Sherwood supporting the roof

Very sad to see the happenings at Notre Dame. The iconic cathedral . At least it seems the main structure has been saved .

I guess these historic old buildings would not have any sprinkler systems.
Although even that could not prevent a fire that starts from above the roof as this one may well have done.

Oh yes.
Amazing to think that for several hundred years we had the tallest building in the whole world, beating the previous title-holder, the Great Pyramid !
Yes, and also if the central spire had stayed in place it would have remained the tallest building in the world until the age of the first skyscrapers in America c.1880s

We Trained our way around Europe last summer. Taking in Paris and a visit to nitre dame on the way. Very sad to such an historic and iconic building go this way.

Very sad. My wife & I visited Paris, including Notre Dame, on our honeymoon 30 years ago, then took our two girls there for a short trip on our 10th anniversary, not that you could see much then as the whole of the front elevation was covered in scaffolding. Beautiful building though. ?