Not Such A Bad Place | Vital Football

Not Such A Bad Place

In all seriousness, why not? Every other fucking place gets away with it, and many of them can't hold a candle to what we've got.

Medway, largely without knowing it, has had a hugely influential and highly respected music and art scene for the last thirty years, and has done absolutely fuck all to to capitalise on it. Anything that chips away at this terrible inferiority complex that we've got can only be a good thing.

Look at Hull, for example. As long as I can remember, it had the reputation of being a remote, philistine shithole, even though it never was such a thing. They turned it around, so why shouldn't we?

Medway is bidding to be the city of culture for 2025. Strood is ok, but the other towns let Medway down...

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/council-bids-for-city-of-culture-208845/

I heard about this before it was announced at a meeting of a new initiative Medway Champions. I was pleasantly surprised at the work and finances being planned for Medway. They are deadly serious and the announcement of the bid was/is to be made at parliament.

https://www.wearemedway.co.uk/

They went over the money being spent all over Medway, not future but actually now! And someone had thought 'what an idea to run trains to Hoo again, who woulda thought of that lol. No answers on gill planning but MEMS owner was at meeting. Can give more detail if anyone is interested.

just noticed I am in the photos on their twitter lol. lucky I was not picking me nose or summit lol.

Last edited:
I must admit that I was pretty impressed when I visited the dockyard.
Maybe Medway can set up open top bus trips through Rochester and up to Darnley Road.
That would be different.

I must admit that I was pretty impressed when I visited the dockyard.
Maybe Medway can set up open top bus trips through Rochester and up to Darnley Road.
That would be different.

already have an open bus tour from Rochester visitor centre. You are right it should instead go to Darnley rd, plenty of history on the way through the roman built high street area, past the 11the century norman church, go via the knights templers house and then up the ancestral home of darnley rd to where the german prisoners of war (mainly kids) used to collect their water whilst building the houses above columbine rd. Forgot the main thing - the site of the deceased Jubilee Pub.

The Italian prosoner of war camp in Rainham that became my brothers' junior school.

The Anglo Saxon ditch that divides Men of Kent and Kentish Men running alongside Maidstone Road in Wigmore, UP and DOWN. What more do we need?

Last edited:
The clincher is the chippy in Gordon Road. You read it here first.

I'm sure the extra tourism would be great for the Queen's Head. The council need to link this site to their info page, so we can tell them where it is, and how to get there :-)

Actually visited the Medway Towns as a tourist for the first time when I was back 2 years ago.

Ok, main reason was the Gills game and catch up with relatives, but still a tourist.

Believe me, comparing to the rest of UK that we saw, Medway stacks up pretty well. Rochester High St and the area around the Castle & Cathedral is up there with every historical site. There are some superb outlooks over the river from many vantage points around the towns. Agree about the Historical dockyard, great spot. Also some stunning scenery in the local outlying villages. And some terrific old world pubs all around.

All capped off by Priestfield Stadium.

Go for it Medway.

Are the Russian submarines still in the Medway opposite Strood railway station.
Theirs a tourism highlight.

Medway towns have a fine heritage, especially in terms of maritime history. Be loud and proud, hope you receive due accolade and cultural recognition.