Not so mighty Leeds | Vital Football

Not so mighty Leeds

Kentbee

Vital Reserves Team
What an enjoyable evening if a little tense in the first 25 minutes or so of the second half. We should have had the game won by half time but a penalty miss and not quite ruthless enough in front of goal meant Leeds were bound to have ago after the break. Still that last 15 minutes was magical and we thoroughly deserved the win.

Strange side Leeds, they obviously have some very good players ( and expensive ones I would think) but they looked quite disjointed at times and it was hard to work out what sort of game plan or style of football they had. Saiz and Ayling looked the most threatening but their big number 9 was a donkey and that centre half with gloves and socks over his knees!!! looked like he wanted to be anywhere but GP at a packed evening game.

Good performances all round but special mention for Woods ( back to his best) and Watkins , who was too hot for their defence to handle even if he did go down some blind alleys at times.

Liked the way Mepham just slotted in at half time with ease, he could be some player for us.

Some victories taste better than others, especially with teams you love to hate. I'm with Cloughie on this, the 'great' Leeds sides of the sixties and early seventies were thugs and cheats. They had some great players, but basically they kicked lumps out of anybody with skill and started the pressuring of the ref and "professional" tactics that Ferguson introduced to Man U.

To give you some idea of just how strong the feeling is, I was up North and loudly supported Chelsea for the 1970 Cup Final and replay. If only their fans realised just how much the "we should be beating teams like this easily" adds to our enjoyment.

At the beginning of the season, Leeds would have sneaked a winner. So proud of the team to keep believing and go for the win.

Just a brilliant night at GP, with team,& fans all pulling together to get the win against yet more entitled opponents. We've had quite a few of these since promotion & you really do have to pinch yourself sometimes. Well done to owner, head coach, staff & team for having the vision to build this new team. Things really looking up, who knows how far we can go???

Thought Dean Smith summed it up well in pre match interview when he said "Ironically we haven't played so well in the last two matches as we were when we were being beaten"
For much of this match I thought we were the better side, the first 25 minutes of second half, as Kent says, were nailbiting but so was the bit between goal two and three. They could and should have equalised with that free kick.
I thought the aforementioned Mepham was excellent. I feared for him at start of second half as they had brought on two and obviously changed things round which would put him under pressure. I actually prefer the duo of him and Barbet to Bjellend (who once again contrived a pass that put us under immense pressure - thank you Mr Egan) and Barbet. Yoann showed his worth again. Why is he so constantly overlooked.
Maupay restored my faith in the last two games. After saying I felt he was the most exciting prospect as a striker in years he went off the boil. Now two penalties and two goals in two games because of him. He's not a great player, his ball control and first touch remind me of....well....ME. But he is a constant pain in the arse to the opposition and that will always create goals and chances.
As ever, an International break stops our momentum though. I just hope we can carry it on this time unlike the last couple of years when we needed time to pick up again.

Thought Dean Smith summed it up well in pre match interview when he said "Ironically we haven't played so well in the last two matches as we were when we were being beaten"
For much of this match I thought we were the better side, the first 25 minutes of second half, as Kent says, were nailbiting but so was the bit between goal two and three. They could and should have equalised with that free kick.
I thought the aforementioned Mepham was excellent. I feared for him at start of second half as they had brought on two and obviously changed things round which would put him under pressure. I actually prefer the duo of him and Barbet to Bjellend (who once again contrived a pass that put us under immense pressure - thank you Mr Egan) and Barbet. Yoann showed his worth again. Why is he so constantly overlooked.
Maupay restored my faith in the last two games. After saying I felt he was the most exciting prospect as a striker in years he went off the boil. Now two penalties and two goals in two games because of him. He's not a great player, his ball control and first touch remind me of....well....ME. But he is a constant pain in the arse to the opposition and that will always create goals and chances.
As ever, an International break stops our momentum though. I just hope we can carry it on this time unlike the last couple of years when we needed time to pick up again.