Not so meaningless stats | Vital Football

Not so meaningless stats

gordonbankole

Vital Reserves Team
Dear All

This has definitely been the most barking mad season in my 40 years supporting the club - if you doubt what I'm saying, here's some proof:

The season can pretty much be divided into four parts - horrendous start, fantastic recovery, another horrendous run, another fantastic recovery.

Horrendous part (Ipswich home to Derby away, then Brum away to Blackburn home) Played 23 Points 15.

Double that and you're vying with Bolton for bottom spot - we'd maybe shade it on goal difference.

Superb part (Rotherham home to Reading away, then Forest away to Fulham home) Played 22 Points 47.

Double that and you win the league.

Those effing transfer windows had a terrible effect on everyone, players included, but a couple of international breaks brought about a complete change of form.

Finally, fair play to DS - some serious questions were being asked despite having been dealt a crap hand, and he has come up with the goods when we were sliding towards a relegation battle (his words not mine).

Regards

Gordon

Really interesting when you put it like that, good stuff gb.

It's been a weird and tough season at times, sounds stupid after our 2nd top half finish, but for a while things looked pretty grim. Maybe this was all necessary and we'll be the better for coming through it. Agree with you on DS - I doubted him but he's come through a tough time with flying colours.

MB must have some balls, with so many of his decisions coming good and now looking like genius. I'm over the post Warbs hangover that troubled me for so long, and although I stand by some of my criticisms, I'm sorry for having doubts at times, he's a far smarter man than me and thank god he's in charge.

My highlight from Saturday was when Andy Gogia joined us outside the Royal and we all had a little sing as the Fulham bus pulled away from GP. You don't get that at Chelsea.

Have a good summer y'all, keep coming on here, we're lucky to have this place trust me.

Dear Mr Rebel Bee

MB and Devlin have both admitted mistakes have been made, and credit to them for this. Fans have every right to ask questions and should not be pilloried for doing so. Unfortunately there are some self-styled uber fans (I think we've come across a couple on Greville's blog) who take any criticism of our owner as a personal affront, and despite the fact that the likes of you and me temper any criticism with praise for everything MB has achieved over the years, they conveniently ignore this and bracket us with the abusive teenagers on Twitter, who are exactly the ones who should be pilloried.

As it happens, I have confidence lessons will be learnt from this season and everyone can move on from the post Warbo hangover which, whether the ubers like it or not, cast a shadow over the last 12 months.

Regards

Gordon

I don't think we'll lose sleep over it will we GB, same for others on here or that blog who've had questions.

If they actually read our stuff they'd see the difference, but that was never going to happen. And the club is better anyway for us all having it out this season. We aren't living in North Korea.

Have a good summer mate.

Things I have learned this season.

There are things I kind of already knew.....

o You need an all sorts mixture of different kinds of players to make a good team
o The winning or losing margin in football is narrower than almost any other sport

......and new things I have learned

o Foreign players need even longer than lower leaguers to adjust to the different style
o Stats are a support only, you have to have deep knowledge of the division you are in
o I’ve watched The Killing and Borgen on TV, and learned some Aarhus jokes, but sorry, I really don’t give a monkey’s about FCM
o MB is a risk taker
o Don’t upset Gordon
o I have really enjoyed this forum, so thanks to everybody

Nice stuff Spanish, nothing I can argue with there. I've learned plenty too this season - mostly to be a bit more patient & more trusting in MB's vision (although i'll still call things honestly and as i see them).

We have a good little crew on here, let's keep it going - apart from this place it's the GPG or nothing.

Oh and well done Burnley, that'll be £3.5M in readies please.....

It has been a strange season I agree, very roller coaster. But from the moment that first goal went in at Forest a kind of renaissance seems to have descended over the club followed by this extra ordinary run of results.

DS is generally well thought of, most of our summer signings are coming good, fans faith has been restored that the club is on the right track and there is renewed anticipation for next season. I guess like all fans we are a bit fickle but in reality it is about fine lines between success and failure which is so true in this division.

Thrashing Fulham and being above that lot in Shepherds Bush has given a warm glow to the end of season and to top it all we seem to have genuine talent coming through the academy system.

Onto Huddersfield and hopefully a top ten finish. Not my favourite ground but it will be nice to make the journey in a very relaxed mood and hopefully the team will finish in style and we will look back at this season as a good one in the end.

this season has been like a ride on the worlds best roller coaster with so many ups and downs and tight turns it was amazing if next season is going to be as good as the last few seasons just strap yourselves in and enjoy the ride
!