Not Latics - Euros. | Page 26 | Vital Football

Not Latics - Euros.

Let's hope this myth about Southgate being a good manager is put to bed. Best squad of players we have ever had and still cant win anything.

Let's hope this myth about Southgate being a good manager is put to bed. Best squad of players we have ever had and still cant win anything.

Don't think so ste...66, 90 and 96 better all round sides. I know this is more tactics than ability but 2 defensive midfielders don't work against the better sides. That said, Rice was our best player.

Didnt Southgate say he picked the takers? I'm not sure if they refused to take one rather than he didn't ask them to.

If they did refuse then you'd be disappointed as you'd think they would step up.
Probably we was trying to shift the blame away from the players as he knows how brutal the supposedly fans can be. Don't forget he missed that penalty & he knows how it feels.

Its the way the penalties were taken that gripes me, if the players were'nt confident even though they held their hands up then why piss around with stupid stop start run ups.
When you're up against a keeper that big wouldnt it make more sense to smash the ball hard and low?
Ive seen harder back passes than them three pens, meat and drink to any keeper.

Rashford’s penalty was plenty hard enough…he’d ‘sent the keeper for a pie’ ..he was just out on accuracy…..but it ought not to have gone to penalties In any case.

If the manager had set up to try and win the game we may well have done so …..first half Kane our centre forward was our best and only creative midfielder! ….
I’d genuinely have sooner lost the game in either 90 or 120 minutes ‘going for it’ than timidly trying to hang on for ages.
We scored what was frankly a brilliant goal as a result of defenders getting forwards and beating opponents …and Italy never came close to stopping the move or the finish.
Spain showed that Italy were vulnerable if you got at them on the floor, it was just that their finishing was poor that saw them go out. We were given an object lesson by Spain and we started out by executing that, giving us a blinding opening goal …..but after that …not a single shot on target ….hardly any effort even off target ….in a final…and at home ???
Southgate may well be as lovely a chap as they say and I’m sure he’s very good to his Mother …..but he probably drives ar 22 mph and has seven locks on his back door.

Sorry mate but rachford taked pens for Utd. Never looked liked scoring that’s what he was brought on for must have been nin the game plane. He missed trying to be clever.
Why just pick on Rashford?4 times you have come on and pointed the finger at Rashford alone!The manager lost us that game,no one else but you seem to have a scapegoat that suits you! Negative tactics,way too late substitutions,and wrong selection of takers!Managers fault and no-one else

Why just pick on Rashford?4 times you have come on and pointed the finger at Rashford alone!The manager lost us that game,no one else but you seem to have a scapegoat that suits you! Negative tactics,way too late substitutions,and wrong selection of takers!Managers fault and no-one else

Read post 526 please.

Hindley, this is our best squad ever when you see the bench we have talent everywhere. If it was used to its proper potential we are European Champions this morning.

Awful decisions from Southgate there,bring two players on after 120 minutes then their first kick is a penalty then put a 17yo on the last penalty!Saka was visibly terrified walking up for that!Terrible management
Saka should never have been brought on in the first place. How is he rated so high by Southgate? He has been so poor most of the time. Sterling too stunk last night and big H playing in midfield. No service for him in the 6-3-1 set up.

Bringing two lads on to take penalties when they hadn't had a touch until that point was a mistake. Grealish and Sterling should have taken one.

That said, no complaining. We've had the best tournament we've had in years and we have a young squad who will only get better for the next few years.

Poor choice of penalty takers aside, Southgate deserves a lot of credit.

Italy deserve the cup on the basis of tonight's game, and on balance, the tournament as a whole. They've been excellent, so no sour grapes from me. Congratulations to Italy.

England move on... World Cup next year: our lads will have learned a lot from this Euros, and they'll be even stronger next year.
Only thing we know for certain is that most of them lot will be a few million quid better off than now when the World Cup takes place.

Superb achievement getting to the final.
Played some great stuff in some of the games.
Changed tactics and formation in different games (to match - and beat - the opposition).
Fell short at the last minute.
Well done to all the players who put up their hands to take a penalty.
Semi final last time, final this time, maybe next time.
They can all - manager included, maybe especially - hold their heads high.

Oh, and the only failsafe place to put a penalty is high in the corner, like McGuire ......... and of course, Franny Lee.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="moonay, post: 2925735,

But was it though Moonay? We had by far the easiest side of the draw, yes we beat the Germans, but they are not a great force at the moment and don't forget we played 99% of games at home. Do you think we would have got through the other side of the draw ? Very doubtful in my opinion.

Making Italy look like City takes some doing. If we had been any deeper the players would have been in the crowd. Even Italy couldnt play their trademark counter attacking style coz they were camped in our half. Pitiful tactics all round last night and it has cost us dearly.

Southgate has made some good decisions at this tournament, often against what most would agree with at the time. However last night he made some very poor ones.
Firstly he should have made the subs earlier as we were obviously getting a bit "leggy" in some areas.
Secondly how can it be right that two players who were on the pitch only 3 minutes were chosen to take penalties 3 & 4 followed by a 19 yr old at penalty 5.
Overall Italy fully deserved their win as they were the best team from around30 minutes in, but Southgate should be experienced enough to know that the penalty takers he chose were the wrong ones at the time and they will have to shoulder the stigma for a long time.
Thirdly some of our tactics were questionable in that we were too defensive, yes we probably got pushed back by Italy at times but many other times we seemed to just be a yard too slow and not pressing anywhere near enough.
Poor management of a good team who were beaten by a better team and manager.

[QUOTE="moonay, post: 2925735,

But was it though Moonay? We had by far the easiest side of the draw, yes we beat the Germans, but they are not a great force at the moment and don't forget we played 99% of games at home. Do you think we would have got through the other side of the draw ? Very doubtful in my opinion.

You can only beat who's on front of you. I agree that we probably had the easier side of the draw, but beating Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark, it's no mean feat. (Well done Scotland for holding us to a draw).

Oh, and as we played Ukraine in Rome, (not sure if we played outside Wembley for any other games), that makes it 86%. ;)

It was a great start for England but ultimately the better team over 90 minutes, and the tournament won. In reality this was England's first real tough opponent and they weren't a million mile off. There are some great players with huge potential, but a large number earn their wage at mid-table clubs. These are then stepping up to go to to toe with some of the best in the world. There will be cracks and limitations, which ultimately requires a change in tactics. You cant play Italy like you would approach Denmark.

My take on the penalties is that if you bring someone on with the sole intention of taking one then you have to do it early enough to let them adapt to the atmosphere. Get your nerves out of the way on a 15 yard through ball, not from the penalty spot. But tournaments are won on penalty shootouts and the thought that you just stick your hand up and say "I'll have one", isn't true. A lot of planning goes in to it and Saka would have been chosen ahead of others for a reason. If he's good enough to play premier league football and in an international final then he's good enough to take a penalty. Sometimes you don't get them perfect, other times you come up against a magical keeper, last night England came up against both.

Anyway, it's the furthest you've gone in over 50 years. Disect it, get frustrated about it and be proud of it. Many (not on here), have again let England down, and that shouldn't be the lasting memory of England's tournament. Despite the emotion, everything I've read here has been respectful and level headed. Unlucky, roll on league 1

Last edited:
Hindley, this is our best squad ever when you see the bench we have talent everywhere. If it was used to its proper potential we are European Champions this morning.

I agree if it was used properly it could've won the whole thing, but I'm not sure i'd go as far as to say the best ever squad. It was strong and better than most others at the tournament but in the past we had the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Hargreaves, Beckham, Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry and Cole etc in their prime.

I agree if it was used properly it could've won the whole thing, but I'm not sure i'd go as far as to say the best ever squad. It was strong and better than most others at the tournament but in the past we had the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Hargreaves, Beckham, Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry and Cole etc in their prime.

All great players but today we have 5 subs and our options from the bench is fricknin in the past we have not had this strength in depth. A good team yes but when you think of the class we can bring on in my opinion makes it the best squad ever.

Having slept on it, I haven’t changed my mind. It’s fine reaching a final but you have to make the most of it and try to win. We didn’t suffer bad luck, Italy didn’t have good luck, we didn’t have a nearly moment, we were weren’t the victim of a poor refereeing decision. We got beat fair and square by the better team because we were t courageous enough to win it.

However the most galling thing is we allowed Italy to be the better team. We scored early and then played over two hours of football without having a shot on target, and barely one off it. We couldn’t retain the football, we couldn’t transition up the field and were knackered as we just sat back and allowed them all the possession and chased the ball around. It was a truly woeful approach. Not only that we had the luxury of having 5 subs in 90 minutes and never utilised the bench. It was pitiful and quite frankly Southgate needs to shoulder the responsibility.

As for those penalties, I’m not sure what more can be said. A 19 year old who has never taken one in his life should not be on the 5th and I feel sorry for him. Not so rashford or Sancho who had one job and both fucked it up. However Saka has been thrown under the bus. Grealish has said he wanted one, but Pickford was down before him in 7th. I think Southgate lost the plot quite frankly and when you factor in that Scotland debacle as well both he and the FA need to be considering his position.