Nostalgia | Page 3 | Vital Football

Nostalgia

I suppose you could add boultham park hall to that, as well.

Yes of course. I started off with the factory people, moved on to random houses but forgot BP.

Of course Bracebridge Hall survived, home of several times mayor Francis Clarke and his cure-all Blood Mixture. I think he was aged 47 when he died.

Yes of course. I started off with the factory people, moved on to random houses but forgot BP.

Of course Bracebridge Hall survived, home of several times mayor Francis Clarke and his cure-all Blood Mixture. I think he was aged 47 when he died.

It's been a care-home for years, I think. Probably saved it from neglect and demolition.

It's been a care-home for years, I think. Probably saved it from neglect and demolition.

I think it was "Gothic Products" or something in its early redundancy. There was a red neon vertical name

G
O
T
H
I
C

in some sort of Gothic font.

Wyatt and Hayes for school uniforms, Foster Brothers, Wingads, Nobbs where I got my first fishing rod, Bert Reynolds, and last but not least Mr Parton's sweetshop opposite St Marks.

Burton's for me a year earlier.A nice sensible grey with waistcoat, suitable for other occasions.
It was Burton’s for my work suits from 1964 but Dad always used Wyatt & Hayes and as it was his treat that is why I went there. I still remember choosing the material from those sample holders, being measured up and then going back to collect the made up suits from Burtons with them being folded, wrapped up in sheets of brown paper and tied up with string. No off the peg ready made up suits in those days.

Thinking of nostalgia, my daughter just asked me what Mild was, as in a pint of.
Haven’t seen it in a pub for years, presume no longer exists?

I've occasionally seen it, I think. Beer festivals sometimes have it and I think when Wetherspoon's do their "beer festival" you can occasionally find it.

Yes, it was in the 1950s and into the early 1960s. Really lost popularity then with the end of steam. I took two of three photos at Central in about 1961/62 but they're not very good. This one is B1 61003 'Gazelle'.

View attachment 40080

I think that is probably the only decent design Edward Thompson ever did! Good looking and successful locos. Least said about his attempts at Rebuilds on Gresley's designs the better.

Mild used to be the boys' beer (until draught lager was introduced).

In some Lincoln pubs, pint bottles of brown or light ales were popular.

I think that is probably the only decent design Edward Thompson ever did! Good looking and successful locos. Least said about his attempts at Rebuilds on Gresley's designs the better.

I think the K1s were OK, and the O1 rebuilds of the O4s. The Gresley P2s were too long for the curved Scottish route they were put on. Unfortunately the A2s they were rebuilt to had poor adhesion, and I remember two of them having great difficulty starting from Plat 6 on successive Sundays in 1959. It seemed as if Mons Meg 60504 would never get away, but it did eventually.