Noses V Aston Villa: Sun 29th Oct - 12.00, The Sty. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Noses V Aston Villa: Sun 29th Oct - 12.00, The Sty.

I'll play I would be bang up for it lol

Would probably get sent off in the tunnel before the game even started though.

That's exactly the point Den. Derbies always bring out stuff like that as players overreact and adrenaline takes over . Experience is key along with quality .
We also rely on good officials, which won't happen no doubt

Yes it's a time for cool heads that's for certain.

Mind you the last few derbies have been quite tame compared to some.

The only guarantee for this game is that if we lose it will be the biggest meltdown/mass hysteria since the the last one.

villasince67 - 24/10/2017 00:34

Anyone betting against the usual SB negative 'do not lose' outlook.

Anyone betting against '67 slagging Bruce off whether we win, draw or lose?!
It won't be pretty...derby games rarely are! Couldn't care less how we win as long as we win....by whatever means! Their pace up front is the only thing that worries me. Nullify that threat and our quality should see us through. 0-2 to the Villa boys!

I'm quietly confident about this game. We played them last year with a partly crap lineup when we were struggling a little with life in the Championship. I'm not sure if any of you have checked it out but a look at the lineup last year kind of shows where we were at in comparison to this year's:

-------------------Gollini-----------------
---------------------------------------------
Hutton--Chester--Baker--Amavi
-Westwood--Jedinak--Gardner-
Adomah------------------------Ayew-
-------------------Kodjia-----------------

The general consensus is that Gollini, Amavi, Westwood, Gardner and Ayew are/were not even close to good enough for AVFC for whatever reason (lack of desire/experience etc.)

Also, Westwood, Adomah and Ayew were all substituted for Gestede, McCormack and Gabby who again are all deemed not good enough. That's quite a number of inadequate players to be playing in a local derby.

Compare that to this team:

-------------Johnstone-----------------
Elmo---Chester--Terry---Hutton
-------Hourihane--Whelan---------
Snodgrass------------------Adomah
-----------Davis----Kodjia-------------

Johnstone is a massive improvement on Gollini. The backline (with Hutton's recent solid form) is without a doubt one of the best in the league. The midfield is easily a top 6 midfield, even if I do have my niggling doubts about Whelan. Up top, Davis and Kodjia are both very good strikers.

Add to this the fact we've only lost 1 out of the last 10 games and our away day curse seems to have lifted, I feel like we have a very decent chance of winning on Sunday.

UTV :7:

Yeah I must admit I'm getting really pissed off with this winning 5 out of 6 games do not lose mentality that's creeping in. :39:

Admire the confidence from many of you but I just don't share it.
I guarantee we will not just turn them over with 3/4 goals. I don't ever recall us battering them at the Sty. Our wins there have always been tight 1-0 or 2-1.

Regardless of how awful they have been, they will be bang up for it with their only full house of the season.
It will be scrappy and tight. I just hope we can snatch it with a bit of quality.

Sorry to say I would gladly take a draw right now.

Sadly this fixture over at that shit hole is always devoid of any football to speak of and with hindsight is usually one of the lowpoints of the season.
The result is always everything in this one and unusually for me I think a 0-1 to us is on the cards, but would take a draw and no injuries out of this .

Melon Donkey - 24/10/2017 10:48

Yeah I must admit I'm getting really pissed off with this winning 5 out of 6 games do not lose mentaI dlity that's creeping in. :39:

Yep agree Melon. Since losing against Reading our 'do not lose at all costs' manager has seen us play 10 games. We've won 6, drawn 3 and lost 1 scoring a mere 17 goals and conceding 7. By my maths if we were to continue with this simply awful, negative run for the remaining 33 games we'd up with around 91 points which only goes to show that this boring 'do not lose at all costs' manager will only lead us to bloody good chance of automatic promotion. Not good enough...Bruce out!

I don't think we could've asked for better circumstances for us to go into this games given our slow start to the season. I'm confident going into the game but realistic enough to know that any form goes out of the window in a derby game.

In terms of the tempo, do we go again with a high pressing/high line/high tempo approach which worked on Saturday, or slow it down and tame the atmosphere. Given their poor defence and lack of firepower I'd like to see us go for it, there's no reason we can't score 2 goals and if we do there is a very small chance of them getting a win out of the game. That said, I can only see there being one goal in it.

I think the Sunday midday Kick off, smaller allocation for away fans and alcohol bans have tamed the atmosphere a little so I can't see us losing our heads and being intimidated. Whatever Brucey decides to do, we are experienced enough to be able to go out and do it.

As I'm a little superstitious about this sort of stuff, I refuse to back a Villa win so I don't jinx it. In that case I'll go Blues 1-1 Villa

MikeyVV - 24/10/2017 10:47

The general consensus is that Gollini, Amavi, Westwood, Gardner and Ayew are/were not even close to good enough for AVFC for whatever reason (lack of desire/experience etc.)

Personally wouldnt mind having Amavi at LB rather than Hutton and in all honesty I'd rather have him than Taylor but an attacking fullback doesnt belong in a team that sits back.

The issue with Amavi wasnt the player it was the manager.

Other than that all guys singled out offered us little altho Gollini I am sure in time will be a good keeper.

Lion Heart - 24/10/2017 11:26

Admire the confidence from many of you but I just don't share it.
I guarantee we will not just turn them over with 3/4 goals. I don't ever recall us battering them at the Sty. Our wins there have always been tight 1-0 or 2-1.

Regardless of how awful they have been, they will be bang up for it with their only full house of the season.
It will be scrappy and tight. I just hope we can snatch it with a bit of quality.

Sorry to say I would gladly take a draw right now.

Totally agree. Will be a scrappy tight game. In truth i struggle to enjoy them. 5-1 home wins excepted. They maybe shit but derby games always level things to a degree. Would take a scrappy win.

I think 4 points from blues and Preston away would be more than acceptable.

Your a team full of experienced players villa , go out and do your job in a professional ruthless manner and dispose of rodent , stinking , poisiness , filth.

Regarding the "got to be up for it" line , I honestly think the battering against Wolves has helped on that score. \its very fresh in their memories what happens when you don't give 100% in a derby.

I didn't think it on the night, but that result could actually be a blessing in disguise longer term.

Nervy start,we`ll score first.They`ll equalise.We`ll go straight up the other end and retake the lead,then they`ll be giving it a go and we`ll storm back up their end and make it 3-1.
They`ll have a player sent off.We`ll get a penalty...4-1,then they`ll be all over the place and we`ll knock another one in.5-1 to the Villa.

Okay,now that`s out my system....1-1 or 2-1 either way but definitely a Villa win. :19: