Norwich City’s Financial Black Hole | Vital Football

Norwich City’s Financial Black Hole

Tuckster.
It really has, hence my response on the home page article.Not enough time to work out the finance but to sum up my response there.

Last season.
Parachute payments + sale of Jerome, Murphy, Pritchard.
Income of £ 45 million.
Buys / loans including fees ( say £ 15 million )
Nett income of £ 30 million.
This season
No parachute payment + sale of Maddison.
Income of £ 20 million ( nett and optimistic )
£ 10 million more required to match last season.
If £ 5 million to be in transfer kitty ( that will buy a league 2 striker )
£ 15 million to be raised. That is sale of Nelson and 2 others
plus managing to offload Naismith, Martin and Jarvis.

As you said Tuckster its all looking financially bad for next season already.
Add selfish owners, clueless manager and dire tactics and league one is a reality.

Since we had the (much applauded by unwise fans but met with horror by wise fans ) relegation all we have for two years is an unsincere apology from Balls Up where he stated that ‘mistakes have been made’ . The Smiths and the Board have not learnt a thing since then , and despite sysmic changes of faces not one single thing has improved or really changed . While ever the Smiths remain in charge we will have no money for investment , no drive , passion , hunger and desire to succeed ,and as DG says we are now set up by our magnificent leaders for another relegation instead of promotion

Its time for the fans who cheered relegation, thought there was a chance of an immediate return to prem and that Farke could get us in play offs last season ( as tired old cliche goes ) to wake up and smell
a combination of starbucks, pret, costa and nero total hot drinks menu.

Good to see the self-funded model is working well and the club is in a really good state to getting back in the big time.

That blackhole will get bigger too. If we sold Maddison for £25 million, say, and then we signed two players for around 5 million we will then be told that all the money is gone.

Time to really look to sell the club - lots of very rich people out there who would love to buy this club.

The Smiffs are too selfish to sell . They are only interested in a leagacy and handing to club to Nepotism . Seeing the club move forward with new investment just doesn’t interest them

It will be a slow decline as the Smiffs oversaw before when we stagnated over several boring seasons and gradually got closer to league one before finally getting relegated.
Based on recent decline from 19th in prem, 9th and then 14 th in championship, going down 9 and then 6 places I predict a
17 th place finish next season.
If the Smiffs still cling on to ownership it may take a further 3 seasons to actually get relegated.
I am predicting relegation in 2021 / 2022 season.

I see Villa are in massive financial issues - they have been paying massive wages and spent too much also some issue with HMRC.

Maybe they will have to sell some players cheap. Go for Hogan he is a good forward and just needs a change of scene and some game time.

You look at the Villa squad and you can see why they might be in trouble lots of big players who must be on massive wages.

What has happened to Villa doesn’t mean that we are doing things right . The smell of ‘little sensible Norwich’ is heavy in the air this morning and the Smiffs must be feeling smug that their now famous ‘prudence without ambition ‘ ( how long ago was that poster displayed to the Smiffs ?) has reaped a long term mediocrity . I guess that if a relegation to League One occours at some time then the Smiffs and their unamabitious cronies would apply the same argument and we would stay in League One for a very long time .If that’s what you want as a fan then fair enough

Ambition and a desire to be in the Prem won’t work by chucking money at it, but you are going to need a bit more than the financial help than the Smiffs bring to the party . What you need is an owner who has drive , passion , hunger fight and a determination to take his/her club into the Prem . He or she then needs to surround themselves with Directors , Managers , Coaches , players with those same attributes who can transmit the journey forwards and upwards to the fans .

I take as my example of the way forwards as Huddersfield Town who were a nothing club since their relegation from the top flight in 1971 . Dean Hoyle bought the club a few years back and although he is isn’t a billionaire he used his money to bring in only those with the same passion for the club as him . He put a great deal of time money and effort to get the fans to buy into his driving ambition (for example offering season tickets for £100/in their Championship days ) . He instilled in everyone at the club that with his financial help and the passion , burning desire , hunger and drive of all those involved with HTFC that they would succeed.The rest is history
So what have we we got ? A totally unambitious pair of doddering pensioners as owners who instill no drive , passion , hunger , burning desire and fight to take us up . Our Board never talk about these attributes , and this malise is transmitted to the coaches , managers, players and fans , who now generally sit in silence.
Don’t be fooled and be conned by the Smiffs that they have got it right , because they haven’t , and worst of all don’t think the Smiffs are right based solely on the fact that Villa have got it wrong .
There is another way forwards and the Smiffs and current Board cannot be part of it.

PS... as a postscript, can anyone rememberwhen we often used to beat Huddersfield Town 5-0.? How you have fallen NCFC

Last edited:
Totally agree YB. :clap::clap:

I am mystified by how many supporters are taken in by the Smiffs and their total lack of ambition and utterly selfish ways to keep hold of their toy at expense of future of our club.
Maybe they share their acceptance of mediocrity and slow slide to league 1 but I do not and want them to sell up asap.

McNally speaks today about the ‘embarrasing’ 14th finish with parachute payments .Whilst many fans appear to be delighted with our efforts last season and chortle on about solid progress being made , I tend to agree with McNally that it simply wasn’t good enough ( my opinion ....if you enter a competition then at least AIM to win it even if you don’t).

McNally also speaks about our total failure to strengthen the squad (and IMO replace the manager) when we were promoted at Wembley being down to the Board refusing to invest in the team . I can only assume that McNally is telling the truth , so yet it comes down yet again to our Owners and pathetic Board who do want our club in the Prem m and have no drive , hunger , passion and determination to take us there .
I am now totally at a loss to understand why there are fans who still think that the Smiths are the right people to take us forwards and upwards when it is staring them in the face that their ambition is to suppress the club and keep us down (read the now infamous Times interview the Smiths gave ). It really is time for them to go and allow a new era to begin

Smiff is clinging on to her distant past when she could write a decent cook book for the average bod to follow recipes and produce half decent home cooked food. That was about 15 years ago.
She was not a personality but a plain cook with a tedious presentation style as had a shortage of charisma.
Nobody takes any notice of her now as times have changed. Food has become an art form and tv full of programmes ( like it or not ) where food is taking centre stage and invention and presentation are key.

I recall her saying commenting in an article about never wanting to see a smear across a plate again, during professional masterchef. Maybe that is not a great use of a good piece of prepared food but its what is happening right now and sticking a boiled egg on a piece of toast is not.

Smiff treats NCFC like she does her career. They used to be good, play attractive football and be part of the premier league but are now in decline due to not moving with the times.
I do not expect Smiff to go back on tv and cook to modern standards with brilliant presentation but to be remembered for her important
contribution to where cooking is today when sitting back on the sidelines and being consulted about her place in history.
She now needs to do that with NCFC. Sell up, sit back and if we move forward feel proud of her past contributions towards this as a new regime moves us into 21 st century football.
If she continues to cling on knowing that without more investment
the club will eventually slide into league 1 and what she thinks has been achieved over past 15 years will go down as failure rather than the adoration she so craves.
History has shown her to take club down to third tier for first time in 50 years, fortunatley get McNally / Lambert to produce a miracle
and then through gross mismanagement throw away a coveted premier league place twice in 3 seasons.
Now she is taking us back to third tier again.

Smiffs. If you love the club then sell up and let someone with drive, passion, hunger, business and football knowledge take over.

New kit release, I'm guessing, on 1st July. That should help with any other financial issues. Charging around £40 (is That the price for kit)?

I had some mysterious e mail this morning from NCFC saying the next statement is on Wednesday 27th June . I am all on edge !!