Norwich City vs Latics | Page 2 | Vital Football

Norwich City vs Latics

Studds think you maybe right with that. If you look on the highlights he points to Kipre. Which is beyond a joke. A pen for blocking a shot.

Having just seen the penalty incident I fail to see how it was given against Kipre - it must have been for a foul by Connolly, though to be honest I can't see any foul by him either - though I concede the tv angle isn't clear to make a definitive judgement. We'd only know definitively if the official explained why it was given, but of course they won't so it will forever remain I mystery I guess.

Sadly the officiating in this country, certainly below the top flight, is in the main inept. It seems like every week there is a contentious decision that affects the outcome of a game that is rarely correct. We seem to be on the end of more poor decisions than we get.

Course we are. I remember eight years of shit we got from them in the Greed League and the two previous seasons in the Championship were probably even worse.
However today zero shots on target and some negative substitutions dealt help the cause either.

I've just seen it again. The referee does indicate he gave it against Kipre, which makes it even worse. What a load of bollocks, never a penalty, utterly ridiculous decision.

I doubt even Mighty could find justification for that one.

First things first aloha from Benidorm.......second to the suicide squad IT IS ALL ABOUT STAYING IN THIS DIVISION.....yes we lost but we will lose these type of games because we just aren't good enough but it is all about getting enough points to survive....regarding the ref..ignore the little burglar he just needs cock in his gob like any homer does....anybody remember moss ( shithead ) when he give Arsenal that bag of shit penalty ...bastard.

Anyroad ..give um a shout fer me 're Swansea

Come on you tics

after watching that it was awfull but typical southern shyte ref sticking up for the softies never a penalty
norwich are the worst team we have faced so far but needed help from the ref
but also not one shot on target from us is a real bummer we need a real striker i dont think grigg is good enough at this level ok he only came on late
but niether is anyone else in that position

I doubt the ref will be held accountable for his two penalty gaffes today - again we're on the wrong side of some suspect officiating away from home.

Oh well, while I was a little bit disappointed at how we sat back in the second half, 8th after 10 games is certainly nothing to complain about. With more experience, I think we'll pick up our away form - maybe a morale-boosting win against struggling Preston next week could prove the catalyst for a strong run of form on the road.

Don't really get the critics of Grigg and Mcmanaman at this stage - they've played a limited amount and have both shown their good enough to perform at this level. They're both confidence players who need some positive momentum to perform at their best, and hopefully once they're both fully fit again they can hit the ground running.

Not really having any healthy attacking options to bring off the bench obviously didn't help us today, and I think Norwich's ability to bring players like Rhodes on shifted the momentum crucially in their favour.

Thankfully, we won't be playing too many teams with that calibre of striker on the bench - we might not have had any shots on target today, but we had a lot of good passages of play in the attacking third and gave Norwich as good as we got for large parts of the game. They might have stuttered out of the gates, but I don't doubt they'll be right up there when it matters most.

If it wasn't for a ridiculous penalty decision at the end (yes, we got away with one too), we'd be talking about how solid a point we earned against a team that had won four straight. As Paul Cook said post-Brentford, lets wait until we see how the rest of the week plays out. As with a week ago, it could still be an excellent week of results if we show what we're capable of against Swansea and Preston.

Plus, we definitely owe Swansea a pasting after what happened the last time we played them five years ago, so I'm looking forward to that one!

I thought it was a cast iron red card and penalty that the ref missed in the first half against Dunkley.

But i don't think it was a penalty in the second, i thought if he gave it against Connolly it's incredibly soft and if it's against Kipre he should be struck off as an official - that is diabolical, completely inexcusable. I guess you can argue that it evens itself out but it doesnt does it - Nowich might have got their luck evened out today but we've still had way more terrible decisions against us than for us. I wasn't sure on VAR but after the start of this seasona and seeing how shocking the standard of refs are - i think the sooner the better now as i'm fed up of crap refs.

I think today Norwich were crap and there for the taking they were so sloppy at the back and kept giving us the ball in good areas but i feel when we got the ball in those areas we weren't brave enough to make the most of it. We played too many hopeful balls almost like we had players afraid to run at their man or carry the ball if they had space in front of them for fear of leaving gaps behind them. It wasn't to the same scale as Brentford (although Brentford were light years ahead of Norwich) but we showed them too much respect and we just didn't seem to believe in ourselves enough. Especially at the start of the game Norwich looked all at sea but we seemed almost relucant to make the most of the gifts their dodgy passing from the back gave us and by the time they started to wake up later in the game our best chance to punish them had gone. Our full backs didn't get forward enough absolutely kills any threat, our crossing was poor and there was virtually no penetration. Vaughan might not have been on but we deployed the tactic of lumped the ball at Garner more often than not rather than trying to play give and goes with him.

Like others have said i think if we believed we could've won that and instead of trying to get a point pushed for the 3 i think we'd have got them. It was a really poor decision by Cook to settle for the draw and start and make defensive subs as our high press was working well as they were poor possesion at the back and were struggling to play it out. Attack was our best form of defence, especially as our offside trap was sprung multiple times quite badly. Nowrich were pretty decent in final third on the rare occasion they got the ball that high up the pitch and as soon as we stopped getting men that far forward it played into their hands.

I never like the idea of trying to almost stop playing and just keep the opposition out, espeically so early but we did that at Bristol and it worked and today we did it and it didn't - so it's one of those that it's success determines if it was a good decision or not. But i think we've got to be more ambitious when it's 0-0 and Norwich are average at best.

Another thing i've noticed particulary today but in the last few games is how slack we are at picking up players from throwings and short corners. We are generally quite good at pressing but we do seem to switch off and let players comfortably recieve the ball from a throw or corner without being under much / any pressure. We got caught a few times with short corners today - we need to keep our concentration and be more altert in those situations and it could've easy cost us.

I love Cook but he got it wrong today for me. The way we play our game is our strength, and when we've been away from home i fear we are worrying too much about our opposition to show the bravery we need to play to our strengths and get the full backs to join in attacks and the overloads.

Walton wasn't that busy but did well when called upon.

James the lad is a talent, excellent in 1-on-1's but he needs to work on his crossing, he puts in a lot of crosses but a lot of them are not so good. Also felt he should've just cleared his line under the circumstances rather than risk losing the ball as he did for their goal.

Robinson works hard and his pace get's him out of trouble for his defensive mistakes, but his realy strength is getting up the line and we just didn't see enough of that today. He's a key part of our attack and he wasn't involved in it enough today.

Not his best game, did overall ok Dunkley if you overlook that horrific mistake in the first half.

Kipre was solid again but sometimes he seems to panic and lump the ball forward and give away posession when he doesn't need to.

Morsy and Evans were a bit deeper and quieter than you'd like.

Powell unfortunately quite annoymous today, we are obvioulsy going to not play as well if he isn't on song but the rest of the team can't rely on Nick every week. Others needs to step up and take responsibility if Nick has an off day and i don't think they did.

Windass offered absolutely nothing again on the right, should've been off for McMannaman just after half time we were crying out for his pace and pentration. Windass i think tries hard but i think he's not getting involved in the play enough, he's not putting enough crosses in, he's not able to carry the ball and beat a man. He says himself he's not suited to play on the right - i think he's right.

Jacobs was poor today overall.

Garner was feeding off scraps today, he's much better and battling, winning the headers and holding the ball than Grigg or Vaughan when we go long but he's still no Andy Carroll monster target man and it's still not an effective tactic for us. Think he should've gone off for Grigg with about 30 mins to go.

Connolly got to say the more i see of the lad in midfield the more i'm confused that he apaprently did really well there for Ipswich, he looks every bit a clumbsy defender out of position rather than the lad who apaprently blossomed into a central midfield role last year. Thought his introduction was a bad choice.

Don't think Gibson was the right choice at the right time in this instance, felt we needed more attacking imput to push Norwich back rather a defensive midifield switch. Wonder if Evans had a knock?

Grigg came on far too late to do anything, that wasn't the right call leaving him on the bench so long.

Overall I think today showed us that any ideas we had of crashin the play offs are realistically a little further away than we may have hoped after the Bristol game maybe got our minds to dream a little. I think even if you take out the penalties we just didn't do ourselves justice today, Norwich were very beatable and we weren't able to exploit them. It shows that we've still got quite a lot of work to do, but i think the good news is we aren't that far away - i think it's a question of having more belief and bravery when we go away to teams. Hopefully that can come in time, but as disapointing as this loss and performance was and another dodgy ref, we can't get too down after the start to the season we've had. Hopefully this with inspire us going into the next 2 games like the Brentford loss did going into Hull and Bristol.

Last edited:
I've just seen it again. The referee does indicate he gave it against Kipre, which makes it even worse. What a load of bollocks, never a penalty, utterly ridiculous decision.

I doubt even Mighty could find justification for that one.

From the EFL highlights on Quest I can’t see the ref indicating anything against Kipre - if he did then the ref clearly got it wrong
Connolly however had both hands on the shoulder of the Norwich player as soon as he started to run into the box so I can see why he might have given it for that.

However, the Norwich striker (Steeperman??) clearly pulled James back earlier which allowed him to win the ball & lay it off so if you don’t give one I don’t see how he can say the other one was a foul

For the 1st half one I think there’s enough doubt that Dunkley may have got a toe to the ball before the striker shot - the ref was miles away though so was in no position to make the call

after watching that it was awfull but typical southern shyte ref sticking up for the softies never a penalty
norwich are the worst team we have faced so far but needed help from the ref
but also not one shot on target from us is a real bummer we need a real striker i dont think grigg is good enough at this level ok he only came on late
but niether is anyone else in that position

A decent wide attacking midfielder or a greater impact from wingbacks may help our lonely striker whoever may be playing in that position.

From the EFL highlights on Quest I can’t see the ref indicating anything against Kipre - if he did then the ref clearly got it wrong
Connolly however had both hands on the shoulder of the Norwich player as soon as he started to run into the box so I can see why he might have given it for that.

However, the Norwich striker (Steeperman??) clearly pulled James back earlier which allowed him to win the ball & lay it off so if you don’t give one I don’t see how he can say the other one was a foul

For the 1st half one I think there’s enough doubt that Dunkley may have got a toe to the ball before the striker shot - the ref was miles away though so was in no position to make the call

I couldn't see it myself initially, but on the two minute Sky highlights he definitely points at Kipre on the floor as the 'offender' when he's being questioned why it was given. Utterly bizarre.

Re the first, I'm probably in the minority but I thought he challenged for the ball so it wasn't a red. I also thought he touched the ball as it clearly deviated, though accept he may have made contact with the attacker from behind in doing so, as such it may have been a penalty but the footage wasn't overly clear on that.

Grigg came on far too late to do anything, that wasn't the right call leaving him on the bench so long.

I don't think Cook had a choice - he probably wasn't meant to be involved at all yesterday otherwise I'm sure he'd have been brought on earlier. I'd rather save him until he's fully fit rather than risk playing him 30 minutes only to aggravate an injury.

I don't think Cook had a choice - he probably wasn't meant to be involved at all yesterday otherwise I'm sure he'd have been brought on earlier. I'd rather save him until he's fully fit rather than risk playing him 30 minutes only to aggravate an injury.
We just returned 6 points against Hull and Bristol with Garner up top so there was no need to risk Will but if we were to take garner off his replacement should have been Will rather than a defensive midfielder.
What happened to the fast, up tempo, high pressing game that was being promoted earlier in the season.

Instead of looking at the ref for the "poor" decision we should concenstrate on the fact that we let another soft and late goal in again that cost us point, what is it the third already this season?
I dont think its necesseraily a fitness issue but we do fade late in games.

Agreed. Nothing I hate more than conceding late goals as well although I expected it this season due to how young and inexperienced our defence is. Should have conceded in stoppage time against Bristol City as well so this is turning into a genuine problem. Burn is a huge loss because he’s not there ordering everyone around and commanding confidence in others due to his height. Even more reason why we should be going all out to score in the last ten minutes rather than parking the bus.

All game it looked like they could score and we wouldn't if we played all day. Unlike the other games where we've given away late chances, been fatigued or sat back.

Issue for me at least was the lack of work rate from our entire midfield, never got close enough with the press. When we had the ball in defence our entire midfield was pressed causing us to go long. When they had the ball at the back and through midfield they had a lot of time and space.

The shape was disjointed, we had 2 up front, 2 high wingers. 2 Defensive midfielder's neither high or deep enough. Also the defence was too deep. We had large gaps all over the field. Between the attack, midfield and defence. It was one of the worst performances I've seen from us in a long time. When we tried to use the off side trap they had so much time to execute the pass that it worked against us every time.

Powell looked injured or really fatigued, tired. Stayed as a forward for most of the game and never pressed the ball. Jacobs tried but was always out of position.

It seemed we tried to space our players throughout the pitch, which played into their hands. We never move the ball well and gave them an easy time with the ball.

The first 4 games were brilliant its a shame we haven't played near those standards since. At least we're being competitive, even if the play isn't exciting to watch.

Really ?....9 points from 5 games since he was injured is promotion form. Ah well...that doesn't fit the narrative so let's make it up as we go along.
No coincidence that we’ve been sh**e away from home without him. No pace at all going forward. Four away games without Massey four defeats. And the only entertaining game of those four was the one that Cal Mac (the closest comparison to Massey) started.