Norwich City vs Latics | Vital Football

Norwich City vs Latics

Lazysid

Vital 1st Team Regular
A draw would be a good result.
Head says 2-0 to them but heart thinks we could nick something.
( I think that covers it!)

This week will go a long way to tell us what to expect in the rest of the season.

Last week showed us we've got a very good chance of avoid the relegation battle this year, this week will shows us if we can mount a push for the play offs.

Norwich are a tricky one to call as they under achieved last season under their current manager, but that could be the transition phase as he's clearly rebuilding the club in his own image with so many new forign signing. This season their results have been much better in the league but their fixtures have been only Sheff U (which they lost) from the middle of the road sides and either the promotion chasers (Leeds, West Brom, which they lost and Boro they won) and the relegation strugglers (Preston, Birmingham, Reading, QPR who they beat and Ipswich that they drew). So it's hard to know if Norwich are just beating the sides they should to be a mediocre mid table side or if they are going to be play off contenders justt yet.

The big difference for Norwich this season is they have genuine goal scorers in Rhodes and Pukki and Hernandez looks absolute dynatime on the wing but thankful he appears injured. Looking at the Norwich highlights from this season they don't seem to have any obvious reoccuring weaknesses or strenghts that really stick out. I read that at centre half they aren't that great at the physical side of things so if that is right i think Garner is a good shout going in rather than Grigg and obviously we know Nick isn't afraid to mix it. They look a good solid side and i think this will be another tough game. But we've got to not show them the respect we showed Brentford where we seems more worried about them and not it didn't allow us to play our game. It's easier said than done but i think if we can play our way we've got a good chance of getting a point, but i think Norwich will be coming at us strong too and if we don't impose ourselves properly they will probably get the best of us.

There are absolutely no easy away games at this level and i think this is a good test for both sides to see if either can prove they've got higher ambitions than mid table safety in them.

Dunkley had a horrific giveaway on a back pass that nearly cost us a goal and could've warranted a sending off on the tackle.

Other than that a fairly even match so far.

Countless decisions against us leading up to the pen. Need to show some life going forward to get a result.

Was the pen contentious? I noticed 2 players got booked between it being given and taken.

Strong tug by Connolly as their player tried to cut in with the ball in the box. It was less of a penalty than what Dunkley got away with in the first half but I think most will say it was deserved.

Walton and Gibson went into the books immediately after for arguing what I assume was a long streak of poor decisions by the ref leading up to the pen.

No shots on target. Top marksman on bench.
Settled for nil-nil draw when we took our lonely striker off and replaced him with a defensive midfielder. Cost us a point in the end. Who would think we miss Massey so much but would be nice if we had a good enough replacement for him.

That was a terrible game to watch. Dunkley should of been sent off. His pass back was very short, then fouled Pukki in front of goal. As the last man and clipping his leg from behind he should of been sent off.

Ref was shocking. Worst so far this season. Within the first minute he gave them two soft free kicks. Which was an indicator for how highly incompetent he is as a ref. Not biased, just very poor judgement throughout for both teams.

Can't remember us creating a single chance, system didn't work today. They always had us outnumbered all over the pitch. They looked quicker than us too. Fullbacks at times were dealing with 1v3. Tried the offside trap which failed 5-10 times. They went in as we stepped up.

Only chance I can remember is James freekick on the right was perfect, Evans was less than half a yard away from heading it in.

The second half pen was not a pen for me. Connolly had his hands on Pukki but not enough for a pen. But can't complain as it was stupid play from him. At least Dunkley didn't get sent off. Only positive from today.

Important to remember that Paul Cook is still learning on the job in the Championship with it being his first season. But he needs to learn fast that shutting up shop with about 20 minutes left away from home more often that not leads to you getting punished. What happened to going for the win every game? Very disappointing performance and got what we deserved for our negatively. We miss Massey hugely away from home as we have no pace so can’t really counter. For me Cal has to start against PNE.

We’ll get away with performances like that on a long away trip with little fans but play like that and lose against PNE in front of 4k Wigan fans will be a huge blow to the built up togetherness and positivity between club and fans.

Who would think we miss Massey so much but would be nice if we had a good enough replacement for him.

Despite the better judgement of those that don't wear rose tinted glasses, we signed McManaman to play there. Given his inability to get and stay fit I've still no idea why.

From what I understand today the referee was appalling and spent 60 minutes trying to make up for incorrectly not awarding the canaries a first half penalty. Like our last away day we deserved nothing out of it so can't complain at the result.

Watched the replay of the Dunkley first half penalty incident about 10 times and not clear as to whether he knicked the ball or took the players leg. Slow motion on the TV might clear it up or a better angle than the one on Sky Sports and the refs view.
The given penalty, looks like a clear grab by Connolly, however their number 18 I think 2 seconds earlier does an identical pull back on James to win the ball to set up the penalty so that is poor from the referee.

As for the tactics away from home, went for it the first 2 games, scored 5 goals and won 1 and should have won both.

Then since then we've gone defensive scored 0 goals in 3 games and tactically are nullifying ourselves. A tight game with an hour gone, 10 shots a piece and we make 2 defensive subs in the last half an hour and Norwich unsurprisingly control the last 30 minutes and win.

Bring on McManaman and Grigg up top and we could have won 1-0 instead. I'd rather lose by going for it, than lose trying to grab a 0-0.

Studds that footage doesn't show the incident clearly. Connolly was on Pukki before the ball was passed from wide. Which is why the pen was given by the time he shoots he's released him.

Since seeing it live and now from the highlights(zero from us). I still think Connolly holds Pukki, slowing his run. Although not a pen for me. It probably is within the rules to give that.

Dunkley attempts to tackle from behind(After trying to pull him back). He might get the ball but it doesn't matter if he got Pukki first. Looked stonewall to me.

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11512525/norwich-1-0-wigan

Last edited by a moderator: