North American 2026 World Cup | Vital Football

North American 2026 World Cup

Gordon_Road_Mat

Vital Youth Team
A United Bid of Canada, the USA, and Mexico have won the rights to host the 2026, beating Morocco. The tournament will be the first to feature 48 teams.

The 'United 2026' bid was selected by Fifa member nations, winning 134 votes compared to 65 for Morocco.

The USA last hosted in 1994, and Mexico hosted in 1986 and 1970.

FIFA follows the money yet again.

FIFA follows the money yet again.

Not necessarily. If anything, it could be argued that geographically it would be more profitable for it to be in Morocco as it would be in the same general time zone as Europe.

The US-Canada-Mexico bid could be considered a lot less risky. Morocco doesn't have the infrastructure already in place and would need to do Qatar levels of investment to get every up to spec.

Not necessarily. If anything, it could be argued that geographically it would be more profitable for it to be in Morocco as it would be in the same general time zone as Europe.

The US-Canada-Mexico bid could be considered a lot less risky. Morocco doesn't have the infrastructure already in place and would need to do Qatar levels of investment to get every up to spec.

The FIFA bids predicted the United bid would earn $11Bn for FIFA, whereas the Moroccan bids would earn only $6Bn.

That's what I meant by following the money.

Morocco just does not have the infrastructure to host a event like this but sometimes its a event like this starts something new in a country which in my view is what these big events should be used for.

We now have a continent instead of a country, the next move will be a world cup without a host as such with matches being held across the world.

We now have a continent instead of a country, the next move will be a world cup without a host as such with matches being held across the world.

That is happening with the Euro 2020 Pan-european tournament. It does make you think that with the expansion to 48 teams, will singular countries ever host again? Only a handful of nations have the infrastructure and stadiums (35-40k requirement) to support that many games.

Off the top of my head, England, USA, Germany, France, Spain, and at a push, Italy are the only ones who could.

That is happening with the Euro 2020 Pan-european tournament. It does make you think that with the expansion to 48 teams, will singular countries ever host again? Only a handful of nations have the infrastructure and stadiums (35-40k requirement) to support that many games.

Off the top of my head, England, USA, Germany, France, Spain, and at a push, Italy are the only ones who could.

Brazil - Russia (lets see on that one)

The FIFA bids predicted the United bid would earn $11Bn for FIFA, whereas the Moroccan bids would earn only $6Bn.

That's what I meant by following the money.

Do you believe that the Morocco bid was actually superior?

All the stadiums have been built in the US, Canada and Mexico and only need refurbishing. Only 3-4 of the 14 grounds have been built in Morocco. The US, Canada and Mexico have first world transportation infrastructure, but not true for all of Morocco.

All the stadiums have been built in the US, Canada and Mexico and only need refurbishing. Only 3-4 of the 14 grounds have been built in Morocco. The US, Canada and Mexico have first world transportation infrastructure, but not true for all of Morocco.

It's not a question of whether the United bid or the Moroccan bid was superior or not, my grievance is to do with money.

If every world cup went to those nations who could guarantee minimal infrastructure needed, and high return, it would only cycle between the same 6 or so countries.

Superior in the good it would have done the country but not in finance for FIFA - The Moroccans are passionate about football and whereas North America dont really give a toss - it is a reflection of I feel about both countries.

I was in the square in Marrakesh the night they qualified, probabley one of the the best atmospheres ever and no trouble - anyone would have thought they had won it, and no I dont want to buy a T shirt as a souvenir.

So that's 3 nations that won't have to go through qualifying. I think those three should play off in a round robin with the winner automatically through and the other two having to qualify.

Great Britain would be ideal with stadiums in England, Wales and Scotland and, if you included Ireland, 48 teams would be a doddle. The problem with that idea is that the likes of Scotland, Wales and NI would fear that they could lose their separate identity.

We’ve recently had World cups in Qatar, Russia, Brazil, South Africa, Japan/South Korea. That leaves powerhouses like France, Germany, Italy and USA, with half of them leading to major investment in stadia. I think this overall leans towards the developing nations (or developing footballing nations).

To me under Blatter it had started going to ridiculous extremes due to corruption - had Pluto bid for a World Cup with paper bags of money and goodie bags of jewellery, a few lies about the games being held when the planet is nearest the sun etc, then we would’ve had a World Cup there. Qatar winning a bid was disgusting, not least when it was up against USA and Australia - two nations with a developing love for the game and the opportunity for worthwhile investment without bankrupting a country.

Yes, North America will bring in sponsorship. But look at the state of the Olympic Parks and their Governments of nations who have recently won Olympic bids!

The main gripe I have with this US bid is the joint bidding over 3 nations, two being huge in themselves.

As far as I view this, it is all about the head of FIFA wanting to invade non footballing countries, in order to spread the game wider, thus achieving a greater income for the major body, FIFA.
Sadly, in the meantime the serious supporters of the game can go and …..

Disappointed for Morocco, I felt they deserved it after previous unsuccessful bids. Mexico and USA have both had the tournament too recently, and travel between the 3 host nations will be expensive and long.

Well I'm really excited about a canada/usa/Mexico world cup. I enjoy going to the US so will be hoping i can make this in 8 years time.