norman hunter | Vital Football

norman hunter

Bugger. One of the real tough players of my youth taken by this shite.

Norman “Bites yer legs” Hunter. RIP.

In my time of going to watch FGR managed by Mark Cooper I was fortunate to meet his dad Terry on one occasion and told many a tale about playing in the great Leeds team of the early 70’s! He said that Norman Hunter was the same in training as he was during a game! One incident was Norman going in studs up on Billy Bremner and wiping him out! Norman then standing over him saying “Get up, I ain't finished yet” 😂

RIP indeed. 1970 Chelsea v Leeds FA Cup final was when I first watched him play. In a match that almost everyone could have been sent off, Norman ' bites yer legs Hunter v Ron 'Chopper' Harris was something to behold!

Slightly hunched, knees bent, arms out wide hands open, watching, watching........snap!

I saw Norman play dozens of times and he could be naughty but he wasn't a big, bruising, steam in defender and didn't really have the physique for it. When he did tackle it was well timed and ruthless but he could play a bit too.

I travelled on a Leeds United supporters coach to the famous Derby v Leeds game where Lee and Hunter swapped punches, a frightening afternoon all round. Arriving back at Elland Road a friend and I decamped for a drink in The Peacock where the team were installed in the lounge discussing events. Norman was genuinely amazed at Lee's reaction and they were clearly set for a long session.