Nob End Forums | Page 2 | Vital Football

Nob End Forums

Fair enough mate......... but bear in mind that Rosler was a midge's away from a play off final.
His tactics lost us that playoff. Far too negative at home. Played 10 behind the ball against a bang average QPR team who happily played out the 0-0 with us and took their chances of beating us at Loftus Road which they did. There’s a reason Rosler has lost three out of three playoff campaigns.

Notwithstanding all the responses and the critical analysis of tactics & recruitment, that Manager & team gave me one of my top half dozen football memories at the Etihad. Plus, regardless of the whys & wherefores, he was still just that midge's away. A midge's. That's all.

He was probably just a quality striker away Ant. Rumours early doors were that we were after yon Mon from Blackburn. That signing would have got us up automatically

Aye Jordan Rhodes. Owen Coyle wanted him using a chunk of the McCarthy fee from Everton to pay for it. Whelan blocked it.

I agree though a Charlie Austin/Jordan Rhodes would have got us through those playoffs I reckon. QPR had Austin and he was the difference.

Notwithstanding all the responses and the critical analysis of tactics & recruitment, that Manager & team gave me one of my top half dozen football memories at the Etihad. Plus, regardless of the whys & wherefores, he was still just that midge's away. A midge's. That's all.

You have Emmerson Boyce to thank for that memory. We’d have gone on to lose that game without his superhuman block.

Whenever someone mentions Emerson Boyce I always think back to his humanity with young Joseph at the cup final and it brings a tear to my eye. We've a lot of memories to thank him for.

Aye Jordan Rhodes. Owen Coyle wanted him using a chunk of the McCarthy fee from Everton to pay for it. Whelan blocked it.

I agree though a Charlie Austin/Jordan Rhodes would have got us through those playoffs I reckon. QPR had Austin and he was the difference.

I think we offered 10m and it was rejected so not sure Whelan blocked it at that time 10m for a champ striker was unheard of.

Incidentally at the time we should've gone 1.5m for Austin when Blackburn were asking for 12m for Rhodes before QPR came in.

We apparently ended up trying to get Riverie who a year later went to Newcastle from France for 4.5m (he flopped) but his club had a change of heart and decided to keep him at the last minute.

Then rumor was we enquired about Harry Kane who hadnt broken through at Spurs yet but were apparently put off by a 1m loan fee for a lad who hadn't really done much on his previous loans. Later that season was his break through. Imagine what could've been if we had Kane and Powell leading the line for us - even Coyle may have taken us up!

In the end i dont think we signed a striker at all.

MiW, I reckon Boyce found a spot in everyone's hearts that day.

C_Latic, FFS, you could say the same for Jordi, or Perchy, or even Carson. Give the Manager at least a little credit for setting 'em up right, and sending them out in the right frame of mind.

With either of those two it would have been automatic promotion. That was probably one of the biggest business mistakes Mr Whelan ever made.
If we were to get promted this season selling us for £30 million would be an even bigger one.
Alas we can not go through life thinking what if but why should we especially when its about someone we owe so much gratitude to.

We wanted a certain Mr De Bruyne on loan as well, Mourinho said no as Chelsea had an injury crisis at the time. If you remember De Bruyne had to start the first few games of the for them as a result.

With either of those two it would have been automatic promotion. That was probably one of the biggest business mistakes Mr Whelan ever made.
If we were to get promted this season selling us for £30 million would be an even bigger one.
Alas we can not go through life thinking what if but why should we especially when its about someone we owe so much gratitude to.

Imagine Kane up with with Powell and DeBryne behind him in the Championship!

Then if it wasn't for an injury to the Athletico keeper as they were getting ready to sell us DeGae from United we could've had him.

We also nearly swapped Palacios for Bale and money, when he was a dodgy left back and were sniffing around Pogba when he was an unfulfilled potential in Man U's U23s.

If i remember correctly we were also rumours to be looking at James who ended up at Real Madrid for 30 odd million back when he was in South America for a few million before he had made a name for himself under Steve Bruce.

It's funny seeing how how different everything could've been and how close we came to some of them.

Last edited: