No surprise; Vert goes in summer | Vital Football

No surprise; Vert goes in summer

Spursex

Alert Team
Jan Vertongen hints at Tottenham exit after revealing desire ‘to play in Europe and learn another language’

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has hinted that he will look to leave the club once his contract expires this summer.

Vertonghen, who turns 33 on Friday, is out of contract this summer and while he has not ruled out extending his stay at Tottenham, the Belgian said that he is keen to learn a new language and find 'the right club'.

“I want to sign with the right club. It could be Spurs, or another club,” Vertonghen told Play Sports Kot.

“It must be a club with ambition. I want to play in Europe, as the national team is important for me.”

“I want to play in Europe and learn another language,” the defender said. “Spain and Italy are options. And the duration of the contract will also play a role."

Speaking last month, Vertonghen said he was weighing up the "pros and cons" of staying at Spurs.

He told Belgian show De Kleedkamer: "I’m in a process right now that I have to grab a piece of paper and write down the pros and cons of the options I will have soon.

"I will really have to decide what I want in my career. In three to four years, I will normally return to the place where I will likely settle down.

"And also very importantly: which competitions and prizes I still want to win. I don’t want to regret anything in my career."

Vertonghen has struggled to hold down a first-team place this season but Spurs manager Jose Mourinho said in December he would like the former Ajax player to follow Toby Alderweireld in agreeing a contract extension.

Not overly sad to see him go. He is class but way to apathetic. He just doesn’t seem to hurt if things go wrong and doesn’t seem to get motivated enough to make the most of what he has. I think I watched him in a game against Liverpool when the team was getting bullied to death and Vert just gave up. He looked scared and uninterested.

Can’t say he hasn’t been a good player for spurs because he has. But I will always think he could have been a LOT better for us.

Vert is a very experienced player but he is getting old.
He can be used only as a substitute.

We need urgently a CD who fulfils certain criteria:
he is dominant inside the box, he is long with long legs, can use his brains and has pace.
In modern football he also should be able to pass the ball.
A winner's character is a must for this position.

He did say he might re-sign with Spurs.

Sad to say I hope he doesn't. His best days are behind him and a long lay off from playing due to Corona will only accelerate that decline imo.

He's right that free agents will be more attractive due to corona but perhaps naive if he thinks big pay days will be available with multiple clubs.

I'm sure that the thinking in the Club 2-3 years ago would have been to develop Sanchez and Foyth as eventual replacements for Alderweireld and Vertonghen, unfortunately it hasn't worked out. The emergence of Tanganga has been welcome and probably allows Vertonghen to leave. I think Verts is worth another season with us, as cover for both CB or LB. He has however earned the right to negotiate himself a final decent contract elsewhere. A bigger decision for the Club is whether to persevere with Sanchez, or replace a player who was almost a record signing not so long ago, with another high price import.

He did say he might re-sign with Spurs.

Sad to say I hope he doesn't. His best days are behind him and a long lay off from playing due to Corona will only accelerate that decline imo.

He's right that free agents will be more attractive due to corona but perhaps naive if he thinks big pay days will be available with multiple clubs.

Freeagents might be attractive, but not those who want a fat sign on bonus and a 4 year contract at 33.

Vert is at a difficult stage of his career. I dont think he is good enough to be included in a title winning side abroad. He could still contribute for us in two positions on a regular rotational basis.

All the players who took part in our club's pathetic year through quarrels with the manager and fellow players should have been kicked out.

His gutless performances when Toby was sidelined through injury and non football related issues really tells me that he always needed a leader like Toby to excel.

He was great, but glad to see the back of him.

We've seen the best of Verts and now seeing the older slightly less motivated Verts.

If this is the new Verts then good luck to him getting game time in lowly Div 2 type clubs either in the UK or Europe.

If he wants to learn a new language he can sit on the bench for Sunderland.

Good things come in pairs. Walker and Rose, Alderweireld and Vertonghen, Kane and Alli. These are all players who should be remembered by Spurs fans as players who, whilst at their peak, made major contributions toward Spurs becoming one of the best teams in Europe for a period.

Yes indeed S&J. Albiet for a short period. They all provided us with great entertainment, which, lets face it, is the reason they pull on the shirt.
Pairs like Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles
Glenn Hoddle and Steve Perryman
Archibald and Crooks etc etc wil be remembered for their wonderful contribution and team spirit.

Ah...the memories. Things never stay the same eh.

I don't expect Spurs to resemble or perform like they did prior to the China Virus and nor do I really want them to. We've been in some sort of hiatus for too long now. Too many individuals with egos and not enough team players.

I wouldn't bat an eye lid at a total clean out and fresh start.

Agree, damn fine pro. Left it all on the pitch. Hold your head high Vert, you can leave with full honors!

Nah he left 75% on the pitch, he's often a bit of a wimp in physical duels. I'd also tidy up his dodgy ball control when he ventures forward, and his sometimes shoddy passing too. Other than that, I wish him well.