No get out of jail clause for the board.. | Vital Football

No get out of jail clause for the board..

Spursex

Alert Team
Well, it's as I said last week, the board are determined to try and back Jose until/unless it becomes impossible to do so..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-tottenham-contract-details-23502263

Jose Mourinho contract details shed new light on potential Tottenham sacking

Not only has any title challenge crumbled away, Tottenham are not certainties in a top-four race that is still wide open, which has piled the pressure on Jose Mourinho

By
Matt MaltbyContent Editor, National Sports Network Desk
  • 10:39, 15 FEB 2021

Daniel Levy is in no hurry to axe Jose Mourinho, with the Tottenham chief deciding not to insert a break clause when he hired the Portuguese manager.

Spurs' 3-0 defeat by Manchester City over the weekend was a fourth loss in five Premier League games, during which time Tottenham have also been knocked out of the FA Cup by Everton.

In the middle of December Mourinho's men were top of the table, yet a run of two wins from the following nine games has seen them slip to a staggering 17 points off leaders City.

Not only has any title challenge crumbled away, they are not certainties in a top-four race that is still wide open, which has piled the pressure on the manager.

Jose Mourinho is under pressure as Tottenham's manager

But, according to the Athletic, the club will not rush into a decision over Mourinho's future despite their struggling form.

It has also been claimed that the contract he signed in November 2019, when he was hired as Mauricio Pochettino's replacement, does not include a break clause.

Indeed, Mourinho is contracted to the club until the summer of 2023 and would be entitled to a significant payout should the club opt to sack him.

Therefore, while the manager will need to oversee a turnaround in form quickly, it is understood that Spurs supremo Levy is willing to back the experienced boss.

Amid the disappointing results, Mourinho's style of football and the team's defensive frailties continue to be highlighted by critics, while uncertainty remains over the status of Gareth Bale and Dele Alli, who appeared as second-half substitutes.

"We had a gameplan," said Japhet Tanganga, who was recalled for his first Premier League appearance of the season, following the Man City defeat.

"We knew City were in form and a dangerous team.

"We defended well but the penalty changed the whole game.

"If Harry's free-kick goes in it changes the momentum.

"But second half they just showed their quality and once they got the second goal I think their confidence was high and you could see they were the better team (on this occasion).

"I'm happy to make my Premier League 'debut' this season but we need to look back as team and see where we can go and do better.

"We move on to the next one on Thursday."

Last edited:
BBC pundit makes claim about Jose Mourinho and Tottenham Hotspur dressing room

subhankar_mondal_pic_54586.jpg

Subhankar Mondal
2 hours ago

Garth Crooks has written on BBC Sport that he does not think that the Tottenham Hotspur players are fighting for head coach Jose Mourinho.
The former Tottenham forward, who now works as a pundit for BBC Sport, has suggested that Spurs conceding eight goals in two games shows that Mourinho does not have full control of the dressing room.
Crooks thinks that the Spurs payers are not fighting for him and are not united in their cause.

Tottenham suffered a 3-0 defeat to Manchester City in the Premier League at the weekend following a 5-4 loss at the hands of Everton in the FA Cup.

Crooks wrote on BBC Sport: “As for Spurs, Jose Mourinho is convincing no-one when he tries to tell Tottenham fans that his team are fighting for him, or united in a cause, when they have conceded eight goals in two games.”

No one can say for sure how Tottenham players feel about Mourinho at the moment.

However, Spurs fans should stay positive. True, performances and results in recent weeks have not been great, but Mourinho is a world-class manager who knows how to get the best out of his players.

It must be remembered that Tottenham are still very much in the running for the Premier League top four this season.

Spurs will play in the EFL Cup final and could go on to win the Europa League as well.

The North London club are going through a bad spell, but now is not the time to give up.

So true in your post there Real, but and its a big but, things could change for the better, starting on Thursday, am I grasping at straws here, maybe I should get my coat Lol!
I have absolutely no doubt that we will win comfortably on Thursday Pompey, but that in itself won't change anything. I'd go further and say that we are likely to see some better football and performances in the Europa League going forward, than we've been seeing or will see in the PL. All our eggs are in the Europa basket now.
There are however some good clubs left in the Europa with a better trophy pedigree than us, whereby it is difficult to see us winning it. No Europa trophy, and no PL top four, which is the probability, gives Levy a big decision in the summer.

The issue as I see it is that you cant turn on and off good and poor performances. You cant guarantee to play well in the Europa games and at the same time not give too much in the PL. Surely you build good momentum in winning as many games as possible and with good football.
I'm inclined to agree Greavesie, but I do feel that we will see greater urgency, commitment and intent in the remaining rounds of the Europa, which I think has always been Mourinho's primary target, than we have been seeing in the PL. Whether this will bring any success is doubtful though.

seems very un-Levy like to not have any criteria for Jose.

A couple of people with Spurs connections said they thought he'd have a reduced compo if he failed to get top 4 this season, and so thought there was zero chance of him going before the summer... but this seems to contradict that.

seems very un-Levy like to not have any criteria for Jose.

A couple of people with Spurs connections said they thought he'd have a reduced compo if he failed to get top 4 this season, and so thought there was zero chance of him going before the summer... but this seems to contradict that.

So hard to see how this has even been leaked, and it must have been leaked, that being the case, it's either a club decision to dampen down speculation or from Joses camp to let the World know what 'failure' would cost the club!

On balance, I don't believe it, every contract the club signs has agreed exit clauses and a contingent liability like this, would if I recall my company rules, have to be reflected in the accounts.

I think it's nonsense.

What's happened is that we went from being top to then being in touch with top. We then lost touch with top but were in touch with 2nd. We're now not in touch with 2nd or 3rd and 6 points from 4th.

The boards mood will change if we keep losing touch with another place at the top to the extent that we're losing touch with even the EL places.

The West Ham game is massive.

The whole Mourinho hiring still, to this day, makes no sense to me. Its very easy to say 'look at his record' but it was/is just the most thoughtless of decisions. Its confirmed to me once and for all that Levy and the board have zero footballing instincts.

Even if a trophy is won under Jose, the decision to hire him will cost the club progress in the near future.

The big question surrounding PSG has always been whether cleaning up against mediocre opposition in France every week disguises the fact that they've seldom reached the heights when matched up against the best from elsewhere in Europe. Last season could well have been a turning point, reaching the CL final was be far their best European competition performance in twenty years, and if last night's game is anything to go by they look set to crack on further. Any which way Poch looks to have landed with his bum in the butter.

I'm no financial expert but has Levy backed himself into a corner here.

The debt still owing on the stadium due to the loss of revenue with to no fans coming in; the gamble he's taken with Mourinho at £15M per year (and the compensation package he would be getting if sacked) and bringing Bale back which at the moment both do not seem to be working out that well, coupled with teams such as Everton, Villa, Spammers all performing well this season a top six spot is no guarantee.

A win in the Carabo cup definitely not a certainty, lifting the Europa cup would be only way to guarantee European football next season, which financially is essential and to avoid the possibility of one or two of the "big guns" being sold by Levy.