No fans until 2021? | Vital Football

No fans until 2021?

bfcpete

Vital Football Hero
There is a report on the BBC Sport website quoting a leaked conversation from a PFA rep who was on the conference call between the EFL, clubs and thd PFA today. A number of different options were discussed. The EFL don't expect crowds in grounds until 2021, unless a vaccine is found before (that doesn't surprise me). One of the options is promoting 3 clubs from each division and having no relegation. There would be extra relegation places in future seasons to rebalance the numbers in each league. If the existing season couldn't be finished then promotion would be based on on sporting merit.
A right mess!

A right mess indeed Pete. The only ones wanting the season to be aborted are the munure lovers. Personally I don't see a problem finishing it behind closed doors. The risk is far less than that of NHS key workers, although it should not be a comparison in terms of importance. Absolutely no reason why, if all tested, it should not resume. Far worse gatherings happening with a lot less fit people, the press for instance outside Boris's hospital and supermarkets etc. lets hope common sense prevails.

Last edited:
extra relegation in future FFS. lets really let the big spenders get promotion and shaft the rest. the only ones wanting to do something other than the resonable , end it now or closed doors are those in the bottom spots. What happens to Bury of they cancel the season, do they get allowed back in.

English Football League players below the Championship have reportedly been told the 2019/20 season will not be finished because of problems concerning coronavirus testing.
The Premier League could return as early as June 8 with football chiefs willing to spend around £4million on 26,000 COVID-19 testing kits as part of their plan.

GETTY IMAGES
The EFL may not resume this season
Players will be tested twice to ensure safety as they remain committed to fulfilling the remaining 92 fixtures of the campaign.
However, this does not appear to be the case lower down the English football pyramid.
The Daily Mail report that EFL players below the Championship have been told that one of the main problems stopping games resuming is the number of coronavirus tests that would be needed.
The report also says there is little expectation that any football will be played in June despite plans for clubs to resume training next month.
This came as a result of an EFL board meeting on Wednesday.

Jamie O'Hara believes the only way forward is to end the season immediately
Most Championship clubs are said to be committed to finding a way of resolving the season but support further down the pyramid is waning.
If the season were to end then there would be debate on how to determine promotion and relegation.
One of the options is possibly using a ‘sporting merit’ system with points per game a viable choice to be used

reading the cost involved in the PL finishing, neutral grounds , all the PPE, food as takeaways, low country players feigning injuries not to play they might as well do a PPG and call it a day. tough on the bottom teams but as one commentator said Brighton to face Liverpool , manure and citeh on neutral grounds and go do by a point didnt seem right either.

I am beginning to think the PL also won't be completed. France, Netherlands and Belgium already cancelled and others under pressure to do so

I suppose, because we're mid-table obscurity, it doesn't really matter BUT imagine if we'd been in the play-offs or better still in an automatic promotion place!
Gawd, we'd be livid wouldn't we.

the best idea ive seen is points per game, then the playoffs take place and the season is done. Yes we'd be livid especially if we were in 10th spot with an in form team chasing the last spot. someone has to lose out but imagine this, the nobbers might just beat fulham but the trees dick them in the final to increase their play off failure rate.

Appears its all down to the imagination now. Might as well forget about football, this is not going to go away for a long time yet. I'm losing interest tbh.

Pretty much inevitable i'd say some crowds are so small it won't matter. Why not allow all BFC season ticket holders for 2019/20 in with associated social distancing which would be easy to do. No away fans of course

Pretty much inevitable i'd say some crowds are so small it won't matter. Why not allow all BFC season ticket holders for 2019/20 in with associated social distancing which would be easy to do. No away fans of course
That is a very fair solution.

I am beginning to think the PL also won't be completed. France, Netherlands and Belgium already cancelled and others under pressure to do so

Report in the SportsMail today saying that the PL are split between the big clubs (who want to finish to collect TV money, other bonuses and Champions League qualification) and the smaller clubs (who want to void the season to prevent them getting relegated and losing their gravy train). The big clubs say that if they don't start soon (with appropriate measures to workaround the virus) then there is a chance that they would lose next season as well, if they have to wait for a vaccine. They say a number of clubs could become bankrupt.
Can't see any big transfer fees being paid with this uncertainty