Nigel Adkins | Vital Football

Nigel Adkins

ManchesterLatic89

Vital Reserves Team
Just seen on a general football forum (fans of all clubs) that i occasionally visit that apparently Nigel Adkins is out of contract at the end of the season.

I know it is a long shot and the likelyhood is that he will stay at Hull but wondering if it is worth perhaps testing the water and seeing if he is interested in the job at our place if we can survive.

Im astonished personally given how he has turned around Hull's fortunes that he has not been tied down to a new contract yet. Wonder if it down to issues between the fans and ownership at Hull and worries about potential lack of funds for the summer as a result of the ownership there cutting back and having to make further cuts this summer as a result of further drops to the parachute payment money.

Its a long shot but you never know, Adkins would be a substantial upgrade on Cook, that is for sure.

Just seen on a general football forum (fans of all clubs) that i occasionally visit that apparently Nigel Adkins is out of contract at the end of the season.

I know it is a long shot and the likelyhood is that he will stay at Hull but wondering if it is worth perhaps testing the water and seeing if he is interested in the job at our place if we can survive.

Im astonished personally given how he has turned around Hull's fortunes that he has not been tied down to a new contract yet. Wonder if it down to issues between the fans and ownership at Hull and worries about potential lack of funds for the summer as a result of the ownership there cutting back and having to make further cuts this summer as a result of further drops to the parachute payment money.

Its a long shot but you never know, Adkins would be a substantial upgrade on Cook, that is for sure.

The funny thing is though a couple of years ago he had an absolute nightmare at Sheff U for their budget and looked utterly hopless compared to Caldwell that season and prior to that an indifferent spell at Reading. But the job he's done at Hull is absolutely brilliant and his previous spells at Southampton and Scunthorpe too were outstanding. Goes to show how certain managers and clubs just fit perfectly while others don't.

I imagine that if he's not signed a new deal already after the incredible form they've been in over the last 6 months there is something going on behind the scenes - maybe he's looking at his options or the Hull board are messing him about on terms or budget. I'd certainly not be apposed to making an offer in the summer if he fancies a new clannege and we are in the market for a new boss.

Awful manager and awful at recruitment. Hull have been one of the worst teams I’ve seen this season. They are where they are thanks to Bowen mainly, should sink like a stone next season when he leaves.

When we get rid of Cook we need to show some proper ambition. David Wagner, Aitor Karanka. Get that chequebook out IEC!

Awful manager and awful at recruitment. Hull have been one of the worst teams I’ve seen this season. They are where they are thanks to Bowen mainly, should sink like a stone next season when he leaves.

When we get rid of Cook we need to show some proper ambition. David Wagner, Aitor Karanka. Get that chequebook out IEC!

I think you’re doing Hull a disservice there. Bowen has been involved in 25 of their 97 goals this season (around 25%). It’s a reasonable proportion, but I wouldn’t say it’s indicative of a one-man team. They have other good players; Fraizer Campbell’s scored 12 goals and made 6 assists playing as a forward, Kamil Grosicki has been one of the players of the season in my book and has 9 goals and 12 assists (3 times as many assists as Bowen). Mark Pugh was also a good signing; good enough to start for a Championship-winning side throughout 2014-15 and he has done a decent job for Hull this season. All of these players were recruited by Adkins, I believe (except for Bowen who came through the academy), but it’s worth remembering that even Bowen was little known before Adkins turned up, and so don’t you think he deserves a little credit for developing him as a player?

I really like Hull. Think they’re an honest, friendly club, and I like Adkins as a person and a manager. Would love him as manager of Wigan, but let’s not write Cook off yet.

I also think you are doing Adkins a diservice for what he's done at Hull - he's mopped up the mess created by the previous manager built a very decent team there in what was difficult circumstances with the board messing around over finances in the summer.

Karanka or Wagner will not be options with the best will in the world. They are likely to want stupid money and budgets to even consider it and even then they may still fancy bigger and more glamerous clubs than us. Wagner already apparently turned down West Brom and wants to go back to Germany and i dont think Karanka would go a club unless they gave him a daft budget for signings - something that we wont be doing.

I think you’re doing Hull a disservice there. Bowen has been involved in 25 of their 97 goals this season (around 25%). It’s a reasonable proportion, but I wouldn’t say it’s indicative of a one-man team. They have other good players; Fraizer Campbell’s scored 12 goals and made 6 assists playing as a forward, Kamil Grosicki has been one of the players of the season in my book and has 9 goals and 12 assists (3 times as many assists as Bowen). Mark Pugh was also a good signing; good enough to start for a Championship-winning side throughout 2014-15 and he has done a decent job for Hull this season. All of these players were recruited by Adkins, I believe (except for Bowen who came through the academy), but it’s worth remembering that even Bowen was little known before Adkins turned up, and so don’t you think he deserves a little credit for developing him as a player?

I really like Hull. Think they’re an honest, friendly club, and I like Adkins as a person and a manager. Would love him as manager of Wigan, but let’s not write Cook off yet.
Sorry, not enough to convince me and won’t ever be. And don’t get me started on the job he did at Sheff Utd, leaving them in the worst state they’ve ever been since I’ve followed football.

By the way the players you mentioned such as Grosiki weren’t recruited by Adkins. He took charge mid season last year after Leonid Slutsky was sacked. Grosiki signed for Hull when they were in the Prem. So you’d expect them to be up the right end of the table when they still have Prem players such as him and David Marshall to call upon.

I’ve said this before about Atkins as he always gets touted by some folk when we have a vacancy because he used to play for Wigan back in the Stone Age. If he wasn’t a former Wigan player then not one person would want him here with his CV.

I also think you are doing Adkins a diservice for what he's done at Hull - he's mopped up the mess created by the previous manager built a very decent team there in what was difficult circumstances with the board messing around over finances in the summer.

Karanka or Wagner will not be options with the best will in the world. They are likely to want stupid money and budgets to even consider it and even then they may still fancy bigger and more glamerous clubs than us. Wagner already apparently turned down West Brom and wants to go back to Germany and i dont think Karanka would go a club unless they gave him a daft budget for signings - something that we wont be doing.
Last I heard IEC were committed to us losing the maximum amount of money that keeps us in line with FFP as said by Darren Royle. So why can we not attract the likes of Karanka? It’ll be no different at any other Championship club, the FFP rules apply the same to each team. 39 million loss over three years. If IEC are willing to straddle the line then get the best manager in possible to get us up within that timeframe.

Last I heard IEC were committed to us losing the maximum amount of money that keeps us in line with FFP as said by Darren Royle. So why can we not attract the likes of Karanka? It’ll be no different at any other Championship club, the FFP rules apply the same to each team. 39 million loss over three years. If IEC are willing to straddle the line then get the best manager in possible to get us up within that timeframe.

The maximum amount for us is relatively low as it's proportional to turn over. We want to be ambitious but it's got to be a sensible and slow build up rather than a fast track spending spree that Karanka would demand to make sure we dont do a Bolton.

I expect us to spend in the summer but i think we are talking 5m and Karanka at Boro and Forest spent more than that on one player.

And don’t get me started on the job he did at Sheff Utd, leaving them in the worst state they’ve ever been since I’ve followed football.

Oh yeah, I know how poor he was at Sheffield United. In 2015-16 he finished 11th with the same side that would storm the league and achieve over 100 points under Wilder in the following campaign. I even remember one of my friends saying that he hoped United didn't go up that season, as they simply didn't deserve it with the way they'd played. However, it was a good point that KDZ made about different managers fitting in at different clubs. Solskjaer is the obvious example; he was sacked by Cardiff just a few months after being appointed, and had limited success at Molde. Yet something just clicked at Man Utd, and it goes without saying that he has done a fantastic job in turning around their performance levels, and results, drastically. Equally, Adkins was unsuccessful at United to say the least, and mediocre at Reading, but did a good job at Scunthorpe, Southampton (whom he guided to the Premier League after securing back to back promotions), and now with Hull. Therefore, if we did appoint him, it'd be a gamble; would he suit us and do as good a job with us as he has with those clubs, or would we experience the Adkins of Sheffield United and Reading? However, due to the limited nature of the options available to us regarding decent, experienced managers at this level, I think it would be a gamble worth taking. Obviously, this is all hypothetical on Cook being sacked, and may never materialise.

By the way the players you mentioned such as Grosiki weren’t recruited by Adkins. He took charge mid season last year after Leonid Slutsky was sacked. Grosiki signed for Hull when they were in the Prem.

You are 100% correct that Campbell and Grosicki were not recruited by Adkins, that was a mistake on my part. Pugh was though, and there are several other players whom he did recruit, that have done well for Hull this season. He did bring Marc Pugh to the club, as well as signing players such as Reece Burke (who didn't do much with us, but is a good young player, and has done well for them this season), as well as Tommy Elphick from Aston Villa. Jordy de Wijs has impressed in defence, and Eric Lichaj was a shrewd signing from Forest - he's been a solid presence at the back.

Also, even though Grosicki, Campbell and Bowen weren't recruited by Adkins, don't you think that he deserves some credit for their development? Campbell was somewhat of a forgotten man before this season, having scored just 5 goals in the 3 seasons prior to Adkins' arrival. I was checking out the Hull fans’ forum prior to our game against them, and someone mentioned that they were shocked by how well Campbell was playing. Grosicki was a good player, but Adkins has transformed him into one of the best in the league, in my opinion. Bowen was little known before Adkins showed up.

So you’d expect them to be up the right end of the table when they still have Prem players such as him and David Marshall to call upon.

I think this is unfair. They still had those players when Hull were floundering at the bottom half of mid-table, before Adkins arrived. Also, I think it's harsh to pick out two or three players of Premier League quality, and use them to undermine Adkins' achievements. We have two players of Premier League standard on their day, in Nick Powell and Reece James. It doesn't mean we should be “up the right end of the table” with the squad we have. Regardless, Stoke have exemplified the fact that having good players doesn't necessarily equate to success. Their squad is packed with so-called 'Premier League players', yet they are 16th. One more thing; as much as I like David Marshall, I'm struggling to think of any PL side he'd actually get into nowadays, such is the standard of goalkeeping.

I’ve said this before about Atkins as he always gets touted by some folk when we have a vacancy because he used to play for Wigan back in the Stone Age. If he wasn’t a former Wigan player then not one person would want him here with his CV.

To be honest I didn't even know that he used to play for us.

Sorry, not enough to convince me and won’t ever be.

I have no issue with this. Just trying to present a different side to the argument.

Last edited:
When you look at how we've wasted money, i think i'd prefer a better manager with less money than this one with more.

How much of the wasted money (and I'm certainly not disputing that we've wasted a lot) is down to the current manager, how much was down to a former chairman and how much isdown to the recruitment team ?

I wish I knew the answers, I suspect no one on this board knows for certain but we'll all have our theories.

Whichever way it's been done in the past would you trust Cook with a penny of it going forwards?

Whichever way it's been done in the past would you trust Cook with a penny of it going forwards?

On the assumption that not all of the previous poor signings were down to Cook (although I recognise that some will have been) and on the assumption that some of the previously adequate / good signings were down to Cook (although I recognise that not all will have been) then personally, Yes, I would give him another go next season.

I am not a big fan of going through the sort of season we have had this time around and then binning the manager without seeing what lessons he may have learned. It's his first season at this level and I'm sure he'll be the first to acknowledge it's been a steep learning curve but I'm not prepared to let some other club reap the benefits of those lessons learned whilst we go through the inevitable upheaval of a full squad revamp under a new manager.
I personally would reassess prior to the January window next year (or sooner if it's been a disastrous August to October).

Yes, yes, I know, head in the sand, deluded happy clapper. yawn.

we need some one that can wheel and deal and that man is not Cook people keep saying these new owners will put cash in no signs yet of any