NHS and the Brexit Dividend | Page 2 | Vital Football

NHS and the Brexit Dividend

Waste in the NHS is scandalous

My other half had a knee replacement 3 years ago. Following items provided afterwards that they refused to take back:

metal walking stick
bath seat
knee pad gadget to freeze the knee to reduce pain

I broke my arm last year. Following items provided not wanted back:

metal walking stick
arm sling (washable)
tramadol pain killers (had 1 but got a reaction so a lot left)
therabands for physio exercises

[QUOTE="valenciagill, post: 1463163, member: 13614
2. No medical/financial assistance for illegals or foreigners not paying in..[/QUOTE]

Genuine question VG how does that work for you in Spain.

Did you pay into the Spanish tax system ?
I dont recall if you lived and worked out there or retired out there.

Are you against the reciprocal arrangement the NHS gas with the EU? Presumably that will go when we leave.

Will you need to take out private health insurance to cover your needs when in Spain.

I guess many Spanish could view the thousands of northern Europeans who retired to the costas as health tourists.

These are genuine questions by the way

The stupid bleeding internal market that Thatcher imposed on the NHS employed thousands of non-clinicians overnight. Plus, it requires doctors and nurses to spend far too much time assessing outcomes when the true assessment of a patient's outcome is if he or she can go home after treatment.

Everyone one is an expert !

Maybe folk should stick to comments about football if they clearly can't understand the issues.

WayneKerr does love to rake up the past.
Sorry mate, but you can't change that.

The very simple point is that the NHS needs more money.
Where does it comes from ???
Who really cares as long as it gets it.

Phill66's point is very relevant.
The waste is at a horrendous level that would never be tolerated in any business.

[QUOTE="valenciagill, post: 1463163, member: 13614
2. No medical/financial assistance for illegals or foreigners not paying in..

Genuine question VG how does that work for you in Spain.

Did you pay into the Spanish tax system ?
I dont recall if you lived and worked out there or retired out there.

Are you against the reciprocal arrangement the NHS gas with the EU? Presumably that will go when we leave.

Will you need to take out private health insurance to cover your needs when in Spain.

I guess many Spanish could view the thousands of northern Europeans who retired to the costas as health tourists.

These are genuine questions by the way[/QUOTE]

I have a Spanish health card Mark
My wife and I run a business from home , and we pay 300€* for social security , which covers us both .

*per month

Ok, I'll stick to football. The horrendous private sector waste with "corporates" at Wembley. Even worse is that they have the best seats and miss half the match stuffing themselves with food and drink that the end consumer also ultimately pays for. I don't have to be ( and don't expect to be) wined and dined to get me to do my job properly.

Wayne, you can add the mushrooming of admin in teaching that the Tories have introduced with their new idea of schools "competing" with eachother (including gross amounts spent on marketing which is a total waste).

Thanks for replying VG. I guess something similar will need to be put in place for all the ex-pat retirees if the reciprocal agreement with the NHS is removed post Brexit.

The biggest issue is certainly waste and unnecessary visits to hospital particularly by the elderly. With the risk adverse society everyone gets taken into hospital by ambulance. My mate at work gets a phone call most weeks to say his inlaws have been taken in (despite being in a care home). Nothing wrong with them and they come back hours later. They are serial ambulance callers and due to the risk adverse society the ambulance crew always take them in.

We then have lifestyle issues caused by diet, obesity and general lifestyle - that alone will cripple the NHS. I speak as a type 2 diabetic and I know the level of NHS care I get "free at point of use". Totally unsustainable in the long term.

We could pay more in taxation (or don't replace the Nuclear deterrent) but until society gets a grip and starts to thin down our waistlines then the NHS has a ticking time bomb to deal with.

Take a look next time you are walking down the high street or at the Gills. I would suspect the majority will be overweight / obese and all ready to receive NHS treatment for life.

We can talk about health tourists if you like but fat people getting fatter is a far bigger drain on the NHS.

Ok, I'll stick to football. The horrendous private sector waste with "corporates" at Wembley. Even worse is that they have the best seats and miss half the match stuffing themselves with food and drink that the end consumer also ultimately pays for. I don't have to be ( and don't expect to be) wined and dined to get me to do my job properly.

Wayne, you can add the mushrooming of admin in teaching that the Tories have introduced with their new idea of schools "competing" with eachother (including gross amounts spent on marketing which is a total waste).
The whole concept of league tables and countless meaningless exams have produced an school system where kids are like battery hens bred to pass exams rather than be educated. Of course, VG will come up with that total bollocks - it's meaningless bollocks that's hardly a drain on the NHS but then that's never stopped the ignorant bastard spouting off.

Thanks for replying VG. I guess something similar will need to be put in place for all the ex-pat retirees if the reciprocal agreement with the NHS is removed post Brexit.

The biggest issue is certainly waste and unnecessary visits to hospital particularly by the elderly. With the risk adverse society everyone gets taken into hospital by ambulance. My mate at work gets a phone call most weeks to say his inlaws have been taken in (despite being in a care home). Nothing wrong with them and they come back hours later. They are serial ambulance callers and due to the risk adverse society the ambulance crew always take them in.

We then have lifestyle issues caused by diet, obesity and general lifestyle - that alone will cripple the NHS. I speak as a type 2 diabetic and I know the level of NHS care I get "free at point of use". Totally unsustainable in the long term.

We could pay more in taxation (or don't replace the Nuclear deterrent) but until society gets a grip and starts to thin down our waistlines then the NHS has a ticking time bomb to deal with.

Take a look next time you are walking down the high street or at the Gills. I would suspect the majority will be overweight / obese and all ready to receive NHS treatment for life.

We can talk about health tourists if you like but fat people getting fatter is a far bigger drain on the NHS.
It would be sustainable if at first they cut out the needless admin. As a type 2 diabetic, have you had help from anyone who really knows what it's about? You get told to have a balanced diet when you know that carbohydrates are like poison to your body. No, I didn't think so. In Scotland, Type 2s are embarking on a 500/600 calories a day and the illness is disappearing. So, yes it would be sustainable if you and many, many others got the right advice, that would save billions.

I cant believe the sheer dross written in this thread about the NHS being unsustainable. Its entirely sustainable. Is there waste ? Yes as in any large organisation. Care homes are privately run and like to defer their medical costs to the NHS if they can. Similarly the when the private medical sector screw up its the NHS that ends up puting everything right if they can ( ive seen some shockingly screwed up plastic surgery done by some crusty old prof who just wants to keep his hand in)
Does the NHS have issues ofcourse it does so does Rolls Royce Tata Steel and any other large organisation.
What is indisputable is that the NHS provides world class medical care at minimal cost to the tax payer.

I cant believe the sheer dross written in this thread about the NHS being unsustainable. Its entirely sustainable. Is there waste ? Yes as in any large organisation. Care homes are privately run and like to defer their medical costs to the NHS if they can. Similarly the when the private medical sector screw up its the NHS that ends up puting everything right if they can ( ive seen some shockingly screwed up plastic surgery done by some crusty old prof who just wants to keep his hand in)
Does the NHS have issues ofcourse it does so does Rolls Royce Tata Steel and any other large organisation.
What is indisputable is that the NHS provides world class medical care at minimal cost to the tax payer.
Private medicine doesn't teach, deal with accidents or pre-existing conditions unless you pay heavily. Cut out the stupid, pointless and unproductive internal market.

My old school GP believes that your cover on the NHS should be similar to your travel insurance - if you put yourself at risk by being drink or taking a known risk you should be treated but also expected to pay the full cost of your treatment.

Some truth in that Wayne. Everything I get is various screening to verify that things are OK and in control.

Not a lot on the education front.

You are right about the carbs though. Sneaky buggers get everywhere

My old school GP believes that your cover on the NHS should be similar to your travel insurance - if you put yourself at risk by being drink or taking a known risk you should be treated but also expected to pay the full cost of your treatment.
People do pay through NI contributions just as you pay for [say] car repairs through insurance cover. I didn't see a doctor for about 20 years but still paid my NI dues.

I have also experienced NHS waste. It was all created by a visit to a 'stranger' of a local doctor. I was in hospital for several days and even a consultant maintained that I couldn't be released as, if anything subsequently occurred, I could end up suing them!!!

The share of the national income spent on health services is higher in Germany said:
Not comparing like-for-like.
In most of these countries people choose to pay for additional health treatments privately so giving the appearance of more spending on health care. i.e. personal choice

Maybe because:
a) "private" is not a dirty word. Many hospitals/clinics are owned by Mutual Societies/Co-ops (or similar)
b) Germans and French don't assume all health care is "free"

The Germany and French systems are quite different from each other.
The important thing is that people are protected from the cost of intensive, expensive treatment while often paying for the minor stuff.

A bit like paying the first £200 of your car-crash bill.

We need a proper debate on the NHS - without defenders shouting "U.S. health system sucks."