NHS and the Brexit Dividend | Page 3 | Vital Football

NHS and the Brexit Dividend

People do pay through NI contributions just as you pay for [say] car repairs through insurance cover. I didn't see a doctor for about 20 years but still paid my NI dues.

The unwritten contract is that you subscribe while working (NI contributions) and it is available when needed.
Like you, I didn't need to see a doctor for many, many years. just by good luck I expect.

Then in my fifties I needed a knee replacement. NHS ? No way Jose.
The wait was ridiculous.
So I saved the NHS a lot of money by paying for myself in a private hospital.
Kims in Maidstone was fabulous, but had anything gone wrong, I'd have expected to be transferred to Maidstone or Pembury, who by rights should have been doing it in the first place.

Everyone one is an expert !

Maybe folk should stick to comments about football if they clearly can't understand the issues.

WayneKerr does love to rake up the past.
Sorry mate, but you can't change that.

The very simple point is that the NHS needs more money.
Where does it comes from ???
Who really cares as long as it gets it.

Phill66's point is very relevant.
The waste is at a horrendous level that would never be tolerated in any business.

Concur with Phill66’s point about waste although the example he makes is small fry. I worked for Big4 management consultants and finding process improvement opportunities in the NHS was easy. The difficult bit was actually implementing the changes. The criticism is always pointed to senior managers and the government - but the truth is that the whole of the NHS Needs to accept some responsibility - from the receptionist, the porter, the nurse, the surgeon, senior managers and government. There is an inherent inertia in the NHS. Apart from clinical improvements, they are very reluctant to change working practices. I am adamant that small changes would improve patient service and reduce cost.

One anecdotal piece of evidence. Our local hospital has a big antenatal clinic. At lunchtimes, everybody goes to lunch. They completely close the department down for an hour leaving expensive equipment laying idle; and reducing patient choice. By staggering lunch breaks they could improve asset utilisation and reduce CAPEX costs. Never going to happen!

Concur with Phill66’s point about waste although the example he makes is small fry. I worked for Big4 management consultants and finding process improvement opportunities in the NHS was easy. The difficult bit was actually implementing the changes. The criticism is always pointed to senior managers and the government - but the truth is that the whole of the NHS Needs to accept some responsibility - from the receptionist, the porter, the nurse, the surgeon, senior managers and government. There is an inherent inertia in the NHS. Apart from clinical improvements, they are very reluctant to change working practices. I am adamant that small changes would improve patient service and reduce cost.

One anecdotal piece of evidence. Our local hospital has a big antenatal clinic. At lunchtimes, everybody goes to lunch. They completely close the department down for an hour leaving expensive equipment laying idle; and reducing patient choice. By staggering lunch breaks they could improve asset utilisation and reduce CAPEX costs. Never going to happen!
I was in hospital today and, while waiting to see the consultant, an elderly couple were sitting waiting for a porter to take the wife to their car. Nobody came for well over an hour because all porters were serving or having lunch throughout the hospital. Eventually, the elderly man found a wheelchair and did the job himself with three receptionists looking on. Not really sure who is at fault but perhaps lunchtime appointments [the only time many patients can drop by] should be deleted from the schedules.