Next season | Vital Football

Next season

LGC

Vital Reserves Team
Well here we are again at the end of the season. Usually at this time of year I spend a few days licking my wounds and then realise that the new season is only 2¼ months away and I begin to get excited about the future.
This year there are no wounds to lick and I am looking forward with anticipation and a little bit of trepidation.
Firstly I was concerned about our cost base particularly with journeys to Torquay, Yeovil, Hartlepools and Gateshead and the like to fund but also with the move to full time.
The Board's recent statement (see SCFC Website) has calmed the financial fears but has raised again the concern about fitness for the part-timers over a long season when they are juggling a job with their contribution to the team. The statement shows that the Management are cognisant of this and will look to operate within the limitations to the best of their ability.
I think the Board have made the correct decision as Administration with points deductions following financial overspend is the thin end of the wedge.
The other problem is that members of the team could believe that they have a limited career span in which to benefit from the higher wages paid in the Football Leagues as full time players and jump ship. I hope that they don't and hope that they give it another year to see if County can take them up the pyramid to greater riches. Perhaps it will be appropriate to those players thinking of cashing in to look at the progress (!) made by Danny Lloyd and Jason Oswell. No one begrudged their chance at the jackpot but both came back to the Non-League scene albeit at National League Premier division level. Hang on if they stayed they would be there with County! Let that be a salutary lesson to all thinking of moving on for the cash only.
I don't know how many of those offered contracts are already (well at 30 June) free agents but I hope that they all re-sign.
Heres to the future and trust that if Jim loses players he can recruit to replace like with better.

Good thoughts LGC... not sure the promotion has fully sunk in with me yet!

My thoughts are;
Based on no inside knowledge whatsoever but just a gut feeling you get in business (and I am 22 years into that way of life)... regarding our owners;

They are nowhere near 'bad' owners. Some of them made spectacularly bad decisions and were at the helm (or on the board at least) when we went from a club out of admin with NO DEBTS to a club with (I think published somewhere) around £1 million in debts.... but I do believe they are not here to rape and pillage the club.

My further gut feeling is that the owners are keen to recoup at least some of their losses... so some spend but mostly keeping things tight... grow slowly and keep their number one asset happy Mr J Gannon (or relatively happy).

Bottom line... steady progress but cut that debt (their debt) down. At some point, a sale, which will bring them breakeven or a profit.

So IF that is their mindset then going full time is not that attractive. We have a very decent squad of players ( OK.. Warby has gone and maybe one other.. Dux? ) and a great manager and I think enough oomph to get to mid-table without any drama.

Is that good enough though?

My personal feeling is; consolidate this year and build again. As long as we keep some forward momentum I will be happy. Signing up those players with potential, so that we get a transfer fee would seem to be sensible.

I may be guilty of a being too cautious but that step up into the football league is going to require the club to strengthen on and off the pitch and I think it is too much to ask next season. Perhaps one or two more years?

And at the end of the day, I think that will mean new investment from new owners.

-----

(anyone out there who has a different view please sign up and post - we want this place to be a sensible and welcoming 'virtual space' for all County fans! )

The worry with new owners is that there have been some turkeys recently and not that many owners like City or Liverpool.

Latest County News