Next Season | Page 3 | Vital Football

Next Season

Will Keane has had many spells in the Championship at a variety of clubs and struggled in them all. I'm not suprised people are sceptical about him performing at that level - there is a considerable weight of evidence to say he's not good enough.

But football is a funny game and sometimes a player moves clubs and their performances drastically improve or collapse and they are like a completely different player. Keane has been prolific for us, maybe that's down to being at a lower level but maybe he's one of those players who's just found his form at Wigan and he'll carry it on at a higher level. It's impossible to know until we see him next season but he will be full of confidence, which can make a huge difference to any player - if he gets a good start he may be able to carry his form into the Championship. We'll have to wait and see.

Another factor I'd say is I think there are 2 versions of how Keane plays, the first as a midfielder play maker pulling the strings and is at the heart of everything - Nick Powell like - i think that version could be a Championship player. The second is more of a deep lying striker who is looking more to get into goal scoring positions than create them and is a poacher on the periphery of games looking for moments to pop up. I think that version will more likely struggle next season, as the team generally found it difficult in L1 when Keane pushed higher and not linking everything together. Plus we'll likely be one of the weaker teams so we aren't going to be creating as many chances so that type of second striker operating on the fringes of the game is harder to accommodate.

How many goals did Will Grigg score in L1? How well has he done in the Championship?

They are different sort of player Keane and Grigg, but I actually see a similarity in both. Grigg couldn't cut it a level up because he was too wasteful, so when it came to Championship level when you get only one big chance a game (two if you get lucky), he was found wanting. Keane is exactly the same this regard and his average of one missed sitter per game last season will get ruthlessly punished a division above.
You’re entitled to your opinion, but at least give him a chance before he is written off. If we said we were signing a new player who had scored 27 goals last season in L1 we would be more than happy I’m sure

Grigg's entire game centred around goalscoring. When he wasn't doing that, he wasn't contributing much of anything.

Keane obviously offers a lot more to the team, which is why I'm sure he'll be fine whether he's scoring many or not. Not to mention Keane never played anything other than striker at Championship level (as far as I'm aware).

He only adopted the deeper role when he moved here, so I don't think it's really fair to judge his success or lack thereof in a position we now know he was never really suited to play.

The majority of Keane's goals last season was in & around the 6 & 18 yard box, including quite a few "tap-ins." He had a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Very Lineker-esque in that sense with the added skill factor. I can't see him hitting past 20 this season. But I can see him in & around the 10 - 15 mark.

Here, the PA news agency takes a look at each club’s chances.

WIGAN ATHLETIC:

The Latics’ return to the second tier, two years after a points deduction for going into administration had led to relegation,
has been followed by reports of more cash-flow problems,
which the current owners have denied.

But no new signings had arrived by late July and another survival battle beckons.
Prediction: Relegation.

Let's Prove these 'Experts' wrong AGAIN!

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...-championship-campaign-gets-under-way-3782841

Something I read today for the superstitious lot out there, no side has been relegated from the Championship after winning League One the season before since 2016/17. That club....Wigan Athletic. Since then, Sheffield Utd, Wigan (second time lucky), Luton, Coventry and Hull have all come up as champions and survived, finishing in 10th, 18th, 19th (stayed up on last day), 16th and 19th respectively.

This is my honest opinion going into the season. We are essentially in a mini-league with Blackpool, Birmingham, Rotherham and Reading. Fail to finish above three of those four teams and we'll go down. We have no excuse not to finish above a Rotherham side who have lost two key players. I believe Blackpool will suffer hugely from the loss of Neil Critchley in the same way Barnsley did when they lost Valerien Ismael and hiring a Preston legend as their new manager is a disaster waiting to happen (we should know). However, I worry about finishing above Birmingham and Reading. Whilst one is in chaos off the pitch and the other has a shite manager, both boast squads stronger than ours.

Something I read today for the superstitious lot out there, no side has been relegated from the Championship after winning League One the season before since 2016/17. That club....Wigan Athletic. Since then, Sheffield Utd, Wigan (second time lucky), Luton, Coventry and Hull have all come up as champions and survived, finishing in 10th, 18th, 19th (stayed up on last day), 16th and 19th respectively.

This is my honest opinion going into the season. We are essentially in a mini-league with Blackpool, Birmingham, Rotherham and Reading. Fail to finish above three of those four teams and we'll go down. We have no excuse not to finish above a Rotherham side who have lost two key players. I believe Blackpool will suffer hugely from the loss of Neil Critchley in the same way Barnsley did when they lost Valerien Ismael and hiring a Preston legend as their new manager is a disaster waiting to happen (we should know). However, I worry about finishing above Birmingham and Reading. Whilst one is in chaos off the pitch and the other has a shite manager, both boast squads stronger than ours.

Said all along we are in a mini league of the bottom 6. Finish in the top 2 of that league - fantastic achievement. Would even settle finishing 3rd in that mini league.