Next Saturday | Vital Football

Next Saturday

The EFL has announced that, as a mark of respect, all games scheduled for that time will be moved to avoid a clash with Prince Philip’s funeral.
The EFL will now work with clubs to determine when the games should take place.

An EFL spokesperson said: “As a mark of respect, EFL matches scheduled for 3pm on Saturday, April 17 will be moved to avoid a clash with the funeral of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“The EFL will now work with clubs to determine at what time the matches will be played, giving consideration to the timing of the service.
“An announcement will follow in due course.”

Exactly Bear, everything should revolve round them it seems, especially with Saturday being an attention seeking day. As though we haven't already had enough set backs.

Last edited:
Exactly Bear, everything should revolve round them it seems, especially with Saturday being an attention seeking day. As though we haven't already had enough set backs.
It’s called having respect for a lifetime of service ,more to life than football
to a major part of the population.He served in War and Peace and deserves respect.......

It’s called having respect for a lifetime of service ,more to life than football
to a major part of the population.He served in War and Peace and deserves respect.......
Putting that to one side, I'm just glad we're at home next Saturday otherwise the change to the kickoff time could really cause us some logistical and training issues with our schedule.

The SOL is 2.5 hours away so if they went for a 12.30pm kickoff we'd probably be leaving Bloomers 8.30am, unless we made the decision to travel the day before and stay overnight. If we did the latter, where would we train on Friday? Or if you trained at SG you'd have to wrap up earlier than usual so less match prep. Then you've got to think about when you feed the players and whether, if you're staying in a hotel, they can put on the menu you want (having stayed in hotels for work over the last year, there's little chance of that). If you're staying in a hotel are you limited to one person per room? If so, that starts to become very expensive when clubs have little revenue coming in.

If the kickoff time was Saturday evening, then we probably wouldn't get back to Blommers until around 11pm. That probably wipes out doing anything on the Sunday, leaving you only with Monday and a light session on the Tuesday morning to prepare for Rochdale.

I'm very thankful we're at home Saturday. Other clubs are going to have it far tougher. Take Southend for instance, battling for FL survival, who travel to Exeter on the Saturday and Colchester on the Tuesday.

I'm not disputing what he gave to his country for one second, but this is going to cause clubs some real logistical challenges on top of the restrictions already in place.

Any sense of complacency will have been banished by Saturday's slip up. Objectively a draw away to a promotion rival in normal circumstances would be seen as creditable and it is a measure of how far we have come that this draw was seen as disappointing. Meanwhile the unbeaten run goes on.

Any sense of complacency will have been banished by Saturday's slip up. Objectively a draw away to a promotion rival in normal circumstances would be seen as creditable and it is a measure of how far we have come that this draw was seen as disappointing. Meanwhile the unbeaten run goes on.
Agreed.

IMO, 15.30 ko . its a small service for family only, and this is from some that has been requested to turn out for my local Legion branch at that time.

Auto promotion gone so we need to keep the momentum going, get players returning match time, rest critical players and be ready for the play offs. I don't see us dropping out of the top 6.

Putting that to one side, I'm just glad we're at home next Saturday otherwise the change to the kickoff time could really cause us some logistical and training issues with our schedule.

The SOL is 2.5 hours away so if they went for a 12.30pm kickoff we'd probably be leaving Bloomers 8.30am, unless we made the decision to travel the day before and stay overnight. If we did the latter, where would we train on Friday? Or if you trained at SG you'd have to wrap up earlier than usual so less match prep. Then you've got to think about when you feed the players and whether, if you're staying in a hotel, they can put on the menu you want (having stayed in hotels for work over the last year, there's little chance of that). If you're staying in a hotel are you limited to one person per room? If so, that starts to become very expensive when clubs have little revenue coming in.

If the kickoff time was Saturday evening, then we probably wouldn't get back to Blommers until around 11pm. That probably wipes out doing anything on the Sunday, leaving you only with Monday and a light session on the Tuesday morning to prepare for Rochdale.

I'm very thankful we're at home Saturday. Other clubs are going to have it far tougher. Take Southend for instance, battling for FL survival, who travel to Exeter on the Saturday and Colchester on the Tuesday.

I'm not disputing what he gave to his country for one second, but this is going to cause clubs some real logistical challenges on top of the restrictions already in place.

Nothing really stopping teams with a Sat-Tue schedule from agreeing to change their weekend and any midweek fixtures to Sun/Weds. It's happened with weather call offs so far. Don't think it needs to be overthought as much as it does when there's crowds attending. Just got to roll with the punches this season.

Now Saturday 12.30pm. Not sure why Friday night didn't get the green light as was widely reported.

Many clubs were pushing for the Friday evening, but I bet the problem was getting so many officials available for another day and time. Ok for the odd match, but not for the whole league - would be more of a headache, especially when many have other jobs