Next 4 games. | Vital Football

Next 4 games.

We can beat every team in this league, even whilst not at our best. We obviously wont win them all but nothing to fear.

Sheffield untied for example, not the greatest squad in the league not even close. But they play some lovely sharp football, quick exchanges and create openings. I don't expect them to be in the automatic's at the end of the season. But fair a play to them they have a go every game.

Just hope to see some good performances regardless of the results. As once we have that back the confidence and the results will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we play like we can we will pick up points but thats been the issue this past week we've not done our bit.

No easy game at this level and it's so easy to get into a bad run. It feels like we've drifted into a little complacency and hopefully todays horror show is a shot fired squarely accross the bow and will see us learn some harsh lessons and make some needed changes heading into these games.

If we play like today we will be down come febuary i really dont think cook is up to this level
We need the takeover to be sorted soon and a new manager to replace clueless cook before its too late

If we play like today we will be down come febuary i really dont think cook is up to this level
We need the takeover to be sorted soon and a new manager to replace clueless cook before its too late
And sacking the manager in Oct/Nov last time worked well didn't it?
We all knew this season is a learning curve, lets not panic just yet

This bloody takeover is a total mess. We need stability and this unstable situation from the top spreads right through. It needs sorting out one way or the other soon. The owners should never have brought it to light that something was happening. Either that or been totally open and not just fed us drips. It is a shambolic set of affairs and now it is going some way into affecting the manager and performances

Don't disagree with that Jeff. It's been going on now for a year and it's nothing short of farcical. It's created too much uncertainty and too much instability. My confidence in this consortiums ability to run the club going forward is not very high. Both parties in this need to get a grip and bring forward a resolution one way or the other very soon.

Kenny, for once I agree with you. Expectations need to be realistic and there is no need or necessity to be changing a very good manager after one poor performance. We need to be more concerned about him wanting out should this takeover debacle go on much longer.

Exactly, it must be affecting his day to day work. Eh the Powell situation. We are at risk of losing him and untill something is sorted this will affect his play and indeed others around him.

To return to the original point of the post, how many points can we pick up from the next 4 fixtures. On paper they look like a difficult run of games. If we can hold our home form we should be able to at least get a couple of draws, but our away form leaves us vulnerable. The table at the moment has us 8 points from the relegation places, so personally I think we are looking at a tough time and could well be looking at a fight to remain in the mid table places and could slide back unless we start scoring again.

I think this weekends game highlighted our weaknesses in attack and the pressure it creates on the defence if we are not scoring. Hopefully the break will give Cook chance to assess this and tweak the squad to cope, luckily the good start to the season has given us some breathing space but we need to sort it out now and not let the chasing pack catch up.

WBA (h) , Millwall (a) , Sheffield Utd (h) , Leeds (a).

Not seeing many points there. Could be a few problems over the next few weeks.

Sheffield United is away and Leeds is at home.

4pts for me, 1x win (millwall) and 1x draw (leeds) but this league is so unpredictable.

The Sheffield United fixture will be particularly tough given evans will be ineligible and Gibson suspended. No doubt a start for Connolly in that one. Our home form is decent so maybe we can pick up a good result in one of those we have at the DW.

Didn’t realise just how bad our run of games after the IB were. Just puts into perspective how important getting three points at PNE would have been to give us that buffer. Going to need to stick together as a club big time as we could be on the end of some spankings.

I think Burn has to come back into the team for starters. Dunkley has been well and truly thrown under the bus so far this season. He’s been inconsistent but overall has done very well considering the circumstances and of course proved himself against top opposition last season. He’s currently stuck in a brand new defence with every player younger than him in his first Championship season. It’s not fair on the lad! He’s better with Burn him next to him and we need a talker and a leader in there. I’d also consider playing Byrne and moving James to left back. It’s a big ask but I reckon he’s good enough to handle it, or at least do a better job defensively than Robinson, who has cost us around four goals through individual errors and could have cost us more (Swansea). Teams have realised he’s the weak link and are targeting his side. Matty Phillips will be licking his lips at the thought of taking him on.

Let’s try and get back to the core team of what brought us success last season and that includes our defence, which kept a record number of clean sheets (albeit vs weaker opposition).

The hard fixtures may suit us tbh. Remember when everyone was worried about our initial run of fixtures yet we upped our game and rose to the challenge. While in the easier games we've been nowhere near as good.

Think about how well we played against teams that on paper should beat us: Sheff Wed, Villa, Stoke, Bristol, and Swansea compared to the teams you'd fancy us to get results from: Rotherham, QPR, Hull, Preston, Norwich.

Hopelly we will head into these tough games with the intensity we headed into our previous ones.

I'd drop Windass and start McMannaman on the right every week moving forward - need someone who will run at their man and give us some pace on the break.

Burn was horrific at the weekend and 3 at the back was a disaster, I'd stick with our back 4 but be tempted to maybe bring Nathan Byrne in for Robinson.

Burn was making his first appearance since July and was thrown into a three man defence mid match. You can’t base his performance on Saturday as a benchmark for him going forward. He’s still the best defender at the club and most importantly he’s a leader.