Next 2 weeks

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Will prove crucial to Hartlepool United
- results for teams about our position in the league could have a dramatic impact.
- those, allegedly, looking at Pools as an investment will have had sufficient opportunity to look at the books to decide whether it is viable to proceed.
- players who are coveted elsewhere will be moved on, to provide monies to sustain the club for another week or so.
- decisions will be made by those currently in ownership of the Club as to what is acceptable, to them, to hand over to potential new owners.

Rumours have abounded, today, regarding what is the next situation to hit beleaguered Hartlepool United, but we all await any comment or clarification from Pools in respect of the direction of travel.

Smokin Joe

Vital Squad Member
Good post OP, lots of rumours are of course currently circulating many of them doubtless started and circulated by those who wish the club ill. Whoever remains at the helm as the good ship HUFC founders at the stern need to keep the fanbase abreast of the current position. This is the very least that we deserve after investing our hard-earned cash in season ticket renewals yet again on the basis of unfilled promises and subsequently see it squandered as a result of Cocks-all's legacy or Craig Harrison's 'kid in a sweetie shop' misguided spending spree on the failures who make up the vast majority of his close-season signings.

Alfalfa

Vital Squad Member
Worst case scenario is our one or two remaining decent players move on and the remainder of the squad take us down to the Northern League. Best case scenario is we get new owners, Harrison gets sacked and we hang on to our current status. Which is the most likely I wonder?

Smokin Joe

Vital Squad Member
Everything hinges on the ambition of the fabled new owners (God willing) and the size of their purse - but surely their priority must be to stop the rot and turn things around on the field of play? Unless it transpires that they hail from Saudi Arabia they will not be in a position to cancel and pay off numerous playing contracts and enlist adequate replacements in a matter of weeks.

The alternative scenario is to assure the players that 'normal' service has been resumed and the immediate objective is to get the club back on an even keel on and off the pitch. In this instance they would need to remove CH, install someone at the helm who can somehow turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, water into wine etc and introduce one or two signings who could potentially make a difference. With Brian Clough and Sir Cyril long gone what would it take attract a new Messiah to a lowly National League outfit even if such a saviour could be identified?

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Much as it pains me to contemplate this, the only way forwards for Pools is to go into Administration. Take the 10 point hit and try to survive as a football club, albeit, perhaps in National League North.

Administration would at least remove the "non-football" debts, and allow the Administrator to downsize the level of employees.
Though, of course, if he can't find a buyer or fails to see a viable business he would have the option of winding up the Club entirely!

Where has all the money gone ? Why were we getting such a rosy picture of the future from Duxbury a few months ago ? Why couldn't she see this coming BEFORE she gave Harrison a cheque book ? It doesn't inspire confidence !
We're well supported within the leagues we've played in !
Our history is selling players not buying them!

The only plus is that the current owner will be pleased to be shut of us at any price and a loss does present him with accounting /tax opportunities

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
As with Pools this board is dying ! (If not already dead)

Praise should be given to all those who are valiantly fighting against the inevitable and trying to help the Club, from the outside, to stave off the spectre of Administration (or worse).
However, without a "White Knight" buying out the current Owners and being prepared to put up a seven figure sum to finance the Club to the end of the current campaign and during the close season then I fear it will prove to be a forlorn effort.

Alfalfa

Vital Squad Member
I must say I thought last season was the most miserable time to be a a Poolie but this season is topping it. The club I have loved all my life is facing the real prospect of ceasing to exist or at the very least playing football in some local league backwater. This is just so awful it almost defies description.

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
The 2 weeks I initially mentioned are now up!
Nothing has changed the "White Knight" came saw the size of the dragon and left.

The only way forward now appears to be Administration, hopefully Pam / Sage have the wit and best interest of Pools to call in an Administrator without further ado; I fear that further putting this off will only mean more debts along with remaining assets sold off and monies vanishing into a "black hole". The Administrator would then have no alternative to winding the club up.

As a lifelong supporter these are the darkest days I've known, and there have been bleak times in the past!