Newport Pre Match Press Conference with Danny Cowley | Vital Football

Newport Pre Match Press Conference with Danny Cowley

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League

Unsurprisingly the departure of Matt Green was the hot topic of conversation ahead of Saturday's game with Newport:-

Matt Green - There were many variables to consider but ultimately the sale of MG was a business decision rather than a footballing one as you never want to lose a player who has been a fantastic servant and he will be missed dearly. Naturally it would have been better if the deal went through in January but Salford were prepared to pay significantly more to do the deal now. The club has been self funding on the back of cup runs, player sales and promotion but to sustain success with a view to attracting the right new investors to get where 'we' want to be this was the right decision to make i.e. success on the pitch has to go hand in hand with a good business model off it. This ensures that City will go into the transfer window with an aggressive transfer budget so full credit to Clive Nates and the board for allowing DC to keep re-investing.

Replacement for MG - DC did not specify any new players and when asked about Shay McCartan simply said that SM is here for the season so expects him to remain after the transfer window. Reference by the media was made to Adebayo Smith getting more game time. DC said that AS had been training with the first team for a month and whilst he had excellent pace and athleticism he still had a lot of work to do on the technical and tactical aspects of the game.

Christmas Period - Small squad but very talented players will be able to cope with the four games in quick succession; Bruno Andrade and Bernard Mensah are capable of playing centrally in the absence of MG. DC showed his steel when asked what Christmas meant to him retorting that 'Christmas is dead to me it is all about the football', adding that hopefully family time would come down the line

Newport - Mike Flynn has done a fantastic job saving the club from relegation which he then backed up with good form last season, excellent cup runs and around the playoffs this term. Newport play aggressive front foot football with the correct style suited to their players which results in lots of goals. They will get the ball into the box, have good re-starts and a dangerous long throw.

Miscellaneous - Going forward the club is in the best position it has been regarding player recruitment, infrastructure and staff.

I thought the children were incredibly well behaved, shame the radio lincs sport fb interview didn’t include any of their questions.

On green, one positive is we have the additional money to spend on jan 1st. If the deal had dragged into the window, there could have been the unsettling will he/wont he go... together with the do we/don’t we need to get a replacement. + Salford might have looked elsewhere.

With all due respect, and I mean respect to Hulloutpost as I do enjoy his review of DC pre-match conferences.

But the view here in MY END of Salford is that Salford City is at present a multi-millionaire toy project with another multi-millionaire ready to step in.

With due respect to Salford City life long supporters they will soon find themselves akin to the egotistic owner(s) who do not realise that supporters are not not bought but have to urn the support of a club.

For someone who's so family orientated that Christmas answer is very surprising. Mrs Cowley must have her work cut out this time of year

With all due respect, and I mean respect to Hulloutpost as I do enjoy his review of DC pre-match conferences.

But the view here in MY END of Salford is that Salford City is at present a multi-millionaire toy project with another multi-millionaire ready to step in.

With due respect to Salford City life long supporters they will soon find themselves akin to the egotistic owner(s) who do not realise that supporters are not not bought but have to urn the support of a club.
I thought the part owner was a billionaire! Ling ? Or somebody.
Whats the verdict on the price up there?
Danny repeats the word significant again so maybe 100k?

A very Strange press conference today. Danny did not seem that happy and saying Christmas is "dead to me" seemed a bit surprising ,not least having 150 kids in the room. He got asked some decent questions for once around the early release of Mr Green and not sure whether that had anything to do with his mood. However not any suggestions he was not behind the decision to release or too defensive about the decision.

But at the end of the day if you are paying thousands per week for someone to sit on the beach it’s a waste of money.

Might as well blood a youth team player.

it’s good to see LCFC being run as a business.

We got him on a free and sold him for a fee. The fee has probably paid 50% plus of the wage we paid him whilst here. Good business.

We are out of the checkatrade so we don’t need big squad rotation that said we strengthen with players capable of league 1. I am not sure a 32 year old Green is that player.