Newport County AFC v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup 5th Round Saturday 16th February 2019 KO :- 5.30pm | Vital Football

Newport County AFC v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup 5th Round Saturday 16th February 2019 KO :- 5.30pm

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Blues travel to Rodney Parade to face Newport County, It will be shown live on BT Sport for UK viewers – you can also keep up-to-date with all the action via our Matchday Thread and of course you can also follow it on mancity.com and their Twitter account.

The FA in its infinite wisdom decided that fixture could not be swapped around in order that the smaller of the two clubs could benefit financially and this year will see that Newport will only benefit from actually winning the game as the result will be decided on the night, with 30 minutes extra before penalties to decide the tie in the event of the scores being even at the end of all the playing time available.

City will be without Claudio Bravo and Eliaquim Mangala, whilst Ben Mendy and Vincent Kompany remain on the doubtful list.

I have no clue as to what team Pep will put out with the European Champions League tie with Shalke04 coming up next mid-week and I shall leave it to the VMC members to conjecture on the make-up of the starters.

Match Officials

Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Simon Long
Assistant Referee: Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth Official: Lee Probert

Last edited:
I've checked this lot out and it's fair to say they're no Halifax or Shrewsbury. Or Wigan come to that. A team comprising of an ex Footballer of the Year, Brasils' #9, Fodinho and someone possibly ironically nicknamed the 'General' ought to have enough to see them off and be soaping each others backs in the communal tub before there's any need for penalties.

Last edited:
Apparantly their pitch is not up to much and our lads are used to playing on a snooker table type surface, so upsets can happen. However we should have enough nous to deal with this and I expect us to win in normal time who ever Pep puts on the park. Get the job done, then take off 3 after 60 mins would be the way I would go. Time will tell who plays, I have given up second guessing Pep

Apparently the state of the pitch and the relative small size of the ground is said to be in Newport’s favour, can City play their passing game on a bumpy uneven surface, this may have to be in the main one Ariel root

Apparantly their pitch is not up to much and our lads are used to playing on a snooker table type surface, so upsets can happen. However we should have enough nous to deal with this and I expect us to win in normal time who ever Pep puts on the park. Get the job done, then take off 3 after 60 mins would be the way I would go. Time will tell who plays, I have given up second guessing Pep
You beat me too it JK, I was thinking we need to think that we cannot reply on a premier type flat grass

If that was the case then half the teams in the PL would have rubbish pitches in order to level up the playing field for when the big boys come to town.

Muric, Danilo, Zinchenko, Garcia, Otamedi, Delph, Gundogan, Fodinho, Mahrez, GJ33, Sane.

Our players might spend the night counting divets rather than sheep but the Newport back four will be up all night bricking it over our front three.

Muric, Danilo, Zinchenko, Garcia, Otamedi, Delph, Gundogan, Fodinho, Mahrez, GJ33, Sane.

Our players might spend the night counting divets rather than sheep but the Newport back four will be up all night bricking it over our front three.

Not a bad shout. Ederson has played in both FA Cup ties so far. Wonder if that will continue?

Last edited:
It is not going to be a comfortable experience either for City’s players or watching City fans.

After the luxury of PL changing rooms are likely to be a wake up call - none of the creature comforts they will be used to; the crowd will be raucous and their proximity to the pitch will mean they are right in the players faces; and the pitch........it has already used for 60 fixtures between Newport County, Newport RFC and the Dragons all share Rodney Parade, which has also become the recent preferred venue for Wales women football internationals. This game could be decided on a simple mistake, a misjudgement in the running of the ball, a slip.

It will be a test and with the CL just round the corner I think there will be a few changes. It has been interesting that Delph, Danilo, Sané and even Mahrez have seen little action recently so I expect them to start.

VAR will NOT be used for this game. Only two games will have VAR in operation - Derby v Brighton and - you guessed it - Chelsea v rags.