Newport County 1 - 4 Manchester City - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Newport County 1 - 4 Manchester City - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Foden Focus Maintains City Fire On Four Fronts

Johnny On The Spot:

#COMBATIVE. Manchester City’s run of 4 games across 4 different competitions inside 14 days arrived at phase 2 tonight with a tricky FA Cup assignment at Newport.

This cup-tie was never going to be played out on easy street. The pitch had seen 60 football and rugby games so far this season and it showed. Michael Flynn’s approach was simple. Defend any which way and look to turn the City defenders at every opportunity. Understandably, City took half an hour to get going on the dreadful surface. The Welsh side proved game opponents in the first half despite only registering 46 passes. City had been unsettled in midfield and were unable to pass and move with their usual customary ease. However, you got the feeling that if we could avoid conceding any freak set pieces , then the Blues would need to rely upon a more direct approach to score the opening goal that would take the wind out of Newport’s sails. I would suggest that Pep Guardiola had figured that by sending Leroy Sané and Gabriel Jesus up high for Ederson’s booming kicks.

And so it came to pass. Full marks to City for digging deep, rolling their collective sleeves up and adapting their game to the situation. The longer the game wore on, the more it was apparent that the English champions had done their homework. The direct pace and power of Sané broke Welsh hearts and then the Stockport Iniesta broke their backs with two fine solo goals, the second snuffing out the late gift City’s defenders had offered up to the home side. Riyad Mahrez, industrious if still unconvincing, was rewarded at the death for his persistence with a goal that better reflected the gulf in footballing talent.

Pep has forged a tremendous will to win right through the core of his superbly drilled Manchester City squad and they fly to Germany on Tuesday in great spirits. We are approaching the business end of the season and this increasingly versatile side could yet realise the astonishing achievements that last season’s records threatened.

JB’s Man of The Match: Philip Foden. Composed and confident.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/foden-focus-maintains-city-fire-on-four-fronts/

Phil Foden speaking to BBC Match of the Day:

"It was a difficult pitch and we kept playing our football and our quality shone through. It's always special when I score for the club I have always supported. I try and get as many as I can.

"The opponents got tired and the space started opening up and the chances came and we managed to take them. Our defenders dealt with every ball well today and we showed our quality on a difficult pitch. We scored straight after they did and it is always good to take the pressure off and get the goal.

"Everything is going well at the moment and we can definitely win every competition but it is going to be difficult. I'm trying to take my opportunities as they come."

Riyad Mahrez speaking to BT Sport:
"They didn't have a lot of chances - we controlled the game and we are happy to go through.

"The result is the most important thing in these type of games. We are professionals and have to adapt to anything. Everyone is very happy to be through.

"We have to forget the FA Cup now and focus on the Champions League. We are taking it game by game, it is not good to project yourself too far forward."

So we have half of our quarter-finalists.

Watford

Brighton

Millwall

Manchester City

Bristol City, Wolves, Doncaster Rovers, Crystal Palace, Swansea City and Brentford have a chance to book their place in the draw tomorrow.

Chelsea and Manchester United will battle it out for the final spot on Monday.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BT Sport:
"It was a really tough game, we opened the scoring in the game and believed it was done and then they scored. Phil [Foden] scored a fantastic goal. They showed us how incredible they are and a big compliment for them.
"The first 20 minutes were difficult from throwing and long balls and they are much better than us in those situations but in the last 20 minutes we put the game into our hands and the goals help us to win the games.
"The home crowd was amazing, winning here, I realise English football today better than ever and how tough the cup is in these conditions. They use their points where they are better than us. That is why I am so delighted with how we have played here today.
"We are in four competitions - every game is completely different. You play League Two then Champions League. You have to adapt and change mentality and that means a lot to grow like as a team and the big mistake is believing you are better than anyone. It is a mistake, like United are praised and better than PSG, but you see what happened. You have to be calm and prepare well."

'I am so proud of them'
FT: Newport 1-4 Man City
Newport manager Michael Flynn speaking to BT Sport: "The way we kept our shape and the way the boys defended was excellent but the boys were flagging at the end.
"I am so proud of them. They deserve all the plaudits. It can go one of two ways. We can feel sorry for ourselves or finish the season strongly in the league.
"They deserve to finish on a positive as they are a good group of lads. Manchester City were expected to win tonight, they won tonight and they did it in a professional manner. I am proud of my players.
"Joe Day is a true professional. These teams have gone to bigger places than Newport County and passes them over the park.
"I saw the team sheet today and thought, oh god! It wasn't much to worry about.."

More from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"We were calm in the second half and we made an incredible performance considering the conditions.
"David Silva is incredible, 33 years old and he fights and plays with this kind of level. David is a fantastic player, what can I add more about his qualities?
"What we have done so far is try to go game by game ad try to win so the way you have to play against Chelsea at home is completely different to the game here. We will see in May and June how we do but it is important to be there in all competitions in February. The result will be shown at the end and now we have to recover and prepare for our trip to Germany."

Newport keeper Joe Day speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"It’s been a great 10 days for me personally and today was the pinnacle of this FA Cup run. It’s a game where the lads have done really well and I’m proud of the run.
"The game's a different pace when you play Premier League opposition. The second goal has taken a big bounce and the fourth has changed direction. I'll look back and think what I could have done differently.
"I’m proud of how the team has done in this FA Cup cup run. I'm proud of my wife last Tuesday and bringing the two babies into the world. It’s been an FA Cup run to remember."

So we have half of our quarter-finalists.

Watford

Brighton

Millwall

Manchester City

Bristol City, Wolves, Doncaster Rovers, Crystal Palace, Swansea City and Brentford have a chance to book their place in the draw tomorrow.

Chelsea and Manchester United will battle it out for the final spot on Monday.
Nobody of any consequence left in the field.:gent::cool:

Newport manager Michael Flynn speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"I’m very proud of the team they were outstanding. I am disappointed with the two goals conceded in injury time, because at 2-1 you have a grand stand finish, for something to fall your way and you are coming back form 2-0 against one of the best teams in Europe. There is no disgrace in losing, they have beaten bigger clubs by more.
"I have got a very good group of players and I can’t speak highly enough of them. We need to move on now we have a tough game on Tuesday in the league. I’ll give a tap on the back for them and then we go back to work."

More from Newport boss Michael Flynn: "We couldn’t get near them at times, their movement, we didn’t intend to sit off but at times we had no choice. The way they do things it makes it difficult. We had to be compact and keep our shape we had to stop a lot of the cutbacks.
"It’s an outstanding moment for Padraig [Amond], he deserves it, he is such a good professional. I am thinking could we do it at that moment. It is frustrating the third goal we conceded and then you start thinking what could have been.
"The respect and class Man City have shown since they have come here, Guardiola invited players into his dressing room. He is such a classy manager and football club.
"I’m an ambitious manager, I want more times like this. I would love to take Newport up once we have tasted this. You want more and I definitely want more."