Newcastle V Tottenham | Page 9 | Vital Football

Newcastle V Tottenham

Alli really is a frustration. We all know what he is, or was, capable of, but as you rightly say we haven't really seen it for three years, other than a brief resurgence when Mourinho first arrived, which petered out very quickly. Sure he has had a lot of injury problems, but Alli as we knew him when he won PFA Young Player of the Year twice running as I recall, seems an increasingly distant memory.
I've been saying for quite some time that he probably needs a completely new environment to resurrect his career and rediscover the motivation he seems to have lost with us. Reluctantly, the time has come to move him on.

His last good season was two season ago - then the injuries/the soft tissues ones really kicked in, it's slowed him, his stride pattern has changed as he's filled out and that for a short period has made him look even awkward at times - he can recover, but it's not easy. I was speaking with one of our physio's not so long ago who was of the opinion he had a 'long hard physical struggle to get back to his best, and may well end up our Wilshere' - sadly, that's what playing high tempo intense football can do if you're over-played too young.

He'll be back, but how long it takes him back to his best, is anyone's guess.

His last good season was two season ago - then the injuries/the soft tissues ones really kicked in, it's slowed him, his stride pattern has changed as he's filled out and that for a short period has made him look even awkward at times - he can recover, but it's not easy. I was speaking with one of our physio's not so long ago who was of the opinion he had a 'long hard physical struggle to get back to his best, and may well end up our Wilshere' - sadly, that's what playing high tempo intense football can do if you're over-played too young.

Good feedback Ex,thx.

But tactically that's how he sets his stall out, when he first game he tried the attacking options and they didn't sit well with him and the results when we took that approach he didn't like - so I really can't see him changing, unless we suddenly got an influx of 3-4 amazing players, and that's just not going to happen - it's quite funny really reading all the pundits assessment of our performance - to summarise; we got out-played and Newcastle played 'football' and we were anti-football and won only because of Harry....FFS...!

It will be we are a one-man team again soon, just wait and see...
Haha yes even when we were playing fluent/high press/attacking/entertaining football we were called a "one man team", who was that? oh yes MC manager.

So, should we cash in now if there was a buyer?

Great win. Important win. Looks like there is some intensity returning to the players. 10 points out of 12 in the last 4 games. much better.

I don't think Ali has the ability to be our main AM. He has had a great opportunity this season to cement himself as that player and he hasn't delivered.

His football brain isn't quick enough. He dwindles on the ball for too long and doesn't have the quick passing game to be that guy.

When was the last good season he had? Probably 3 years ago. We as a club need to stop holding onto players because of past performances.

Correct RD and you have called it as it is. He hasn't delivered because he isn't good enough. In addition to the weaknesses you mentioned, I can add 3 or4 more. Far too many.

Alli really is a frustration. We all know what he is, or was, capable of, but as you rightly say we haven't really seen it for three years, other than a brief resurgence when Mourinho first arrived, which petered out very quickly. Sure he has had a lot of injury problems, but Alli as we knew him when he won PFA Young Player of the Year twice running as I recall, seems an increasingly distant memory.
I've been saying for quite some time that he probably needs a completely new environment to resurrect his career and rediscover the motivation he seems to have lost with us. Reluctantly, the time has come to move him on.

The time to 'move him on' was two years ago but as RD rightly pointed out we hold onto past performances for too long. There's been nothing in the Dele Alli shop window for three years to get buyers interested.

The time to 'move him on' was two years ago but as RD rightly pointed out we hold onto past performances for too long. There's been nothing in the Dele Alli shop window for three years to get buyers interested.

And yet, there they are. Constantly.

Its creativity from MF we are needing. Ndombele was the answer but that hasn't worked out. Loco is growing into it but we need at least one more MF maestro. Dele Alli could provide it maybe ?

Dele is a long way from being that person I'm afraid. I think he has it in him, but plenty work to do to realise his potential.

Always seems to be stuck in 2nd gear with many more to go.

Correct RD and you have called it as it is. He hasn't delivered because he isn't good enough. In addition to the weaknesses you mentioned, I can add 3 or4 more. Far too many.

Mmmm let me see........Lamela?????

I agree though. We persevere year after year in the hope they'll come good.

We reward mediocrity and look what happens.

This next phase should not be about picking holes in our attacking midfield options. We currently have no credible backup for Lloris and Kane plus problems at full-back and holding midfield in the first eleven. There's 4 problems I would solve before I'd even look at attacking midfield.

All Dele and Lamela do is give Spurs genuine squad depth and versatility. Part of me can see a logic in selling Dele as he cost £5m and may bring huge profit into the club for new players. I say "may" because you still need to have these offers on the table and we're in a strange transfer climate at the moment.

More realistically, we should try to keep Dele, Son, Moura, Bergwijn, Lamela, Gio and Ndombele together and make it our strength. Jose has already shown with Moura what he can do when he coaches these guys every single day. We've seen Winks and Gio finally start doing the professional fouls and frustrating the opposition by constant breaking up their play. We're seen Lloris hitting form once Jose simplified his kicking role and we're starting to see guys like Dier and Sanchez looking better at centre half.

Said this many times, but we have to trust Jose to build something and I see no point judging Dele until our manager has had serious time to lift his confidence, help him to trust his body again and find him his role in the squad.

This next phase should not be about picking holes in our attacking midfield options. We currently have no credible backup for Lloris and Kane plus problems at full-back and holding midfield in the first eleven. There's 4 problems I would solve before I'd even look at attacking midfield.

All Dele and Lamela do is give Spurs genuine squad depth and versatility. Part of me can see a logic in selling Dele as he cost £5m and may bring huge profit into the club for new players. I say "may" because you still need to have these offers on the table and we're in a strange transfer climate at the moment.

More realistically, we should try to keep Dele, Son, Moura, Bergwijn, Lamela, Gio and Ndombele together and make it our strength. Jose has already shown with Moura what he can do when he coaches these guys every single day. We've seen Winks and Gio finally start doing the professional fouls and frustrating the opposition by constant breaking up their play. We're seen Lloris hitting form once Jose simplified his kicking role and we're starting to see guys like Dier and Sanchez looking better at centre half.

Said this many times, but we have to trust Jose to build something and I see no point judging Dele until our manager has had serious time to lift his confidence, help him to trust his body again and find him his role in the squad.
Very good points. You haven't included Gedson or Sess in your list. Deliberately?

With Alli & Lamela in situ we'll always be treading water and playing catch up, they're not good enough and we need better if we want to compete with the best.

Very good points. You haven't included Gedson or Sess in your list. Deliberately?

Yeah, good catch. They absolutely should be included. Don't know either of their best positions yet but Gedson clearly shows traits of an attacking midfielder. Sess is also a viable alternative to Son, Moura and Bergwijn based on what we saw at Fulham.

Sort of strengthens my point about our squad getting some decent depth in certain areas. If Jose can find the personalities he likes to go with the talent I think we all know he can do something with those 2 things. He then needs to plug a few gaps.