Newcastle V Tottenham | Page 8 | Vital Football

Newcastle V Tottenham

Frigging Arse are ahead at half time...would fecking hate it if they end up above us. Concerned that we allowed them 22 shots tonight, the most they have had in any game this season. Concerned about our passing, too iffy. We give away far too many fouls.. Certainly against Leicester we need to sort these things out. That said we have won our last two.....so win next two and see where it leaves us. Certainly the players must be totally aware that it's all down to the last two games....and how they play. Coys

Two wins in a row, enjoyed the Gunners one (my Hackney cousin didn't), but we still look vulnerable and don't inspire confidence.

Each time I watch this team I' m reminded of what Danny B said "..... we know each other." and doubt our current captain could say the same with any degree of confidence!

A decent performance, not too many teams go to Newcastle and score three, only Leicester at their peak previously this season. Quite an untidy game though, countless misplaced passes throughout by both teams, making picking a MOM difficult. Kane is the obvious choice, but I thought that Lamela was near faultless during his time on the pitch.

We did well, wish we'd just tighten up/stop the obvious errors when defending - but that's only going to come with a change of personnel or more intensive defensive work, but as a unit overall they did pretty well.

Goals exceptionally well taken, always looked like we could go up a gear, but again there were some seriosuly tired legs again out there in the second half.

God, I wish Sissoko could have an end product and not lose or fall over the ball at the end of his power play, if that happened he'd be awesome instead of me now calling him 'FFS!'.

Overall Winks metronome passing and control is badly underated here, but it's easy for me to see why Jose rates him so highly, he and Loco have a nasty professional foul edge to their game lately and it's making a difference - and that must be Jose and nobody else.

All in all a very good win, great game management by Jose - although it's going to take me some time to accept that this is likely the pattern of play under Jose for some time to come - I've an eye on the Europa now, and as I said before there is no reason under Jose that doesn't become 3 out of 3. Can't say I'll ever fall in love with his football.

But I applauded Jose for his set up and tactics last night, it snuffed their game out and they had to play the way we forced them to.

We did well, wish we'd just tighten up/stop the obvious errors when defending - but that's only going to come with a change of personnel or more intensive defensive work, but as a unit overall they did pretty well.

Goals exceptionally well taken, always looked like we could go up a gear, but again there were some seriosuly tired legs again out there in the second half.

God, I wish Sissoko could have an end product and not lose or fall over the ball at the end of his power play, if that happened he'd be awesome instead of me now calling him 'FFS!'.

Overall Winks metronome passing and control is badly underated here, but it's easy for me to see why Jose rates him so highly, he and Loco have a nasty professional foul edge to their game lately and it's making a difference - and that must be Jose and nobody else.

All in all a very good win, great game management by Jose - although it's going to take me some time to accept that this is likely the pattern of play under Jose for some time to come - I've an eye on the Europa now, and as I said before there is no reason under Jose that doesn't become 3 out of 3. Can't say I'll ever fall in love with his football.

But I applauded Jose for his set up and tactics last night, it snuffed their game out and they had to play the way we forced them to.

Like in the Jose thread, I asked .....are his tactics really out of touch with modern football ? I think Jose works with what players he has at the time and sets the tactics accordingly.

Like in the Jose thread, I asked .....are his tactics really out of touch with modern football ? I think Jose works with what players he has at the time and sets the tactics accordingly.

They are out of touch in as much they are far from entertaining - which all of the 'big' clubs are striving for, but his tactics work and for now, that's frankly the best we can hope for.

They are out of touch in as much they are far from entertaining - which all of the 'big' clubs are striving for, but his tactics work and for now, that's frankly the best we can hope for.

With the attacking players we have available, Jose just needs the right formula to get them scoring and creating chances as opposed to having to come deep and defend.

With the attacking players we have available, Jose just needs the right formula to get them scoring and creating chances as opposed to having to come deep and defend.

But tactically that's how he sets his stall out, when he first game he tried the attacking options and they didn't sit well with him and the results when we took that approach he didn't like - so I really can't see him changing, unless we suddenly got an influx of 3-4 amazing players, and that's just not going to happen - it's quite funny really reading all the pundits assessment of our performance - to summarise; we got out-played and Newcastle played 'football' and we were anti-football and won only because of Harry....FFS...!

It will be we are a one-man team again soon, just wait and see...

Last edited:
Its creativity from MF we are needing. Ndombele was the answer but that hasn't worked out. Loco is growing into it but we need at least one more MF maestro. Dele Alli could provide it maybe ?

Its creativity from MF we are needing. Ndombele was the answer but that hasn't worked out. Loco is growing into it but we need at least one more MF maestro. Dele Alli could provide it maybe ?

I fear for him now, the injuries appear to have taken a toll and for the last 18 months he's not been able to refind his form, perhaps a good few more months on the sidelines is what he needs, but yes at his best, he would be the man...

Funny how Lamela is getting in the neck again:

https://spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/t...la-nufc-display-mourinho-latest-stats-review/

'They're not easy to play against' - Spurs' Harry Kane's verdict on Newcastle United
The England striker scored a second-half brace to earn Jose Mourinho his first Premier League win at St James' Park

By
Lee RyderChief Newcastle United Writer
  • 10:30, 16 JUL 2020
Sport
Harry Kane scores his first goal in Spurs' 3-1 win over Newcastle United (Image: Getty Images)

Harry Kane has offered his verdict on Newcastle United.

The England international netted twice against the Magpies at St James' Park to secure a 3-1 win and make it three defeats in a row for United.

The Spurs striker though had respect for Newcastle and said after the game: "It was a difficult win away from home. They (Newcastle) are not an easy team to play against.

"We probably did not have our A-game but we managed to find a way.

"We're obviously delighted with three points.

"The game was more open than we'd have liked, especially in the second half, it was kind of end-to-end stuff.

"We didn't finish off our counter attacks well."

At the moment, it looks like Jose gas identified 14 main players. Last night's starting 11 plus Bergwijn, Lamela and the suspended Dier.

It's now appears that Japhet will get to deputise for Aurier in these last 2 games.

That must be sending a strong message to the rest of the squad to work hard if you want to be involved.

I don't think Ali has the ability to be our main AM. He has had a great opportunity this season to cement himself as that player and he hasn't delivered.

His football brain isn't quick enough. He dwindles on the ball for too long and doesn't have the quick passing game to be that guy.

When was the last good season he had? Probably 3 years ago. We as a club need to stop holding onto players because of past performances.

I don't think Ali has the ability to be our main AM. He has had a great opportunity this season to cement himself as that player and he hasn't delivered.

His football brain isn't quick enough. He dwindles on the ball for too long and doesn't have the quick passing game to be that guy.

When was the last good season he had? Probably 3 years ago. We as a club need to stop holding onto players because of past performances.
Alli really is a frustration. We all know what he is, or was, capable of, but as you rightly say we haven't really seen it for three years, other than a brief resurgence when Mourinho first arrived, which petered out very quickly. Sure he has had a lot of injury problems, but Alli as we knew him when he won PFA Young Player of the Year twice running as I recall, seems an increasingly distant memory.
I've been saying for quite some time that he probably needs a completely new environment to resurrect his career and rediscover the motivation he seems to have lost with us. Reluctantly, the time has come to move him on.