Newcastle Utd v Blackburn | Page 2 | Vital Football

Newcastle Utd v Blackburn

I just nearly puked at that picture for fucks sake i thought it was bad enough backin the day with daft twats wearing celtic/rangers hats the parents need agood talking to and failing that a good shoeing

Sums up this circus of a club. Expect no better with a clown in charge and his stooge Charnley.

You do not make 8 changes to your team and expect them to knit together and perform.
You start with a strong side and try to put the game to rest before bringing on subs OR start with a few changes, resting your key men if we have any, then subs on early if you are not scoring.
Rafa left the same lot on doing nothing and then sub due to injury only and late subs to try and save the game.
This should have been a comfortable passage into the next round but instead probable exit in replay and then only relegation battle.
Devoid of quality, commitment and passion and sliding fast.
Would we be any worse off under any other Manager, I doubt it.
Time for a decision one way or the other Ashley and Rafa.
Time is running out, no urgency shown and there is the usual malaise over transfer dealings, how unexpected!

Some very strong points owl that I seriously doubt will be addressed on this board.

There is a real debate to be had on whether we were better off when Pardew was here.

Interestingly the one person I could guarantee would say no is Mike Ashley,that despite the legendary complaints his current manager has made regarding lack of funding.

I just nearly puked at that picture for fucks sake i thought it was bad enough backin the day with daft twats wearing celtic/rangers hats the parents need agood talking to and failing that a good shoeing
Beats a good braying that :grinning:

Colours to the mast time.

I can't stand Pardew, can't abide the man on any level whatsoever, he's right up there with Ashley in my book.

Rafa's a better manager than Pardew. By whatever level you measure
them in terms of what they've done in the game it's Benitez every-time.

Having looked at both their spells here I should be praising Pardew to the heavens as here come the words I never thought I'd type and I can almost feel the vomit rising in my throat as I type them. Pardew's done a better job here than Rafa has.

Of course there are lots of caveats to that. Is it ultimately unfair to compare them ? Pardew was better supported by the board with the standard of player brought in and did a better job in terms of results than Rafa has because of that. The money Rafa's had has not been used wisely. Whoever (rumoured to be Carr, we'll never know for sure) was responsible for the signings of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse ,Ba, Santon, Sissoko, Mbwia and Debuchy did a far better job than whoever's been responsible for the signings under Rafa. If we're blaming Rafa for the bad signings currently we must do the same for Pardew, so of course the reverse is true and the better signings made must also be attributed to the relevant manager. Yes we had utter dross in Riviere, Anita, Perch , Obertan, Thauvin, Gouffran, both DiJong's, Cabella and of course Shefki Kuqi too but the bulk of the squad was vastly superior in terms of base level ability. Indeed one of the lynchpins of the Rafalution, Jamal Lascelles was brought in on Pardews watch.

There's also the question I find myself asking time and again while watching Benitez's Newcastle United. How many offensive players have got better under his coaching ? Struggling to name one aren't you ? Then l look at Pardew's players and how many got moves to club's in better positions to challenge for trophies . Enrique and Carroll both went to Liverpool and won silverware. Cabaye, and Simpson won trophies following their moves. Mbiwa played Champions League as did Demba Ba and Debuchy. Even the much maligned Santon played in Europe again for Inter. Three from Benitez's squad in Wijnaldum, Sissoko and Thauvin have done similar although all three were hardly here under Rafa's stewardship .

Pardew by luck or judgement never got us relegated, McClaren did it in less than a season and Benitez helped seal the club's fate by playing negatively and defensively against Aston Villa. Negatively and defensively are I fear going to be the words that sum Benitez's time here.

Pardew brought European football back to Newcastle as well as the highest league finish by a Newcastle manager since Sir Bobby Robson and his win ratio is 38%. Benitez's is better at 41% but Pardew didn't have a season in the Championship to influence the stats (this is why you see Chris Hughton having a ratio of 55% the best of any Newcastle United manager).

It's a tribute to the utter cuntishness of Pardew and how despicable the club has and had become that I and many others can't stand the man who has been the most successful Newcastle United manager in 15 years. It's also a tribute to the p.r. savvy and deflective tactics that Benitez uses to make sure it's known that he's a simply wonderful manager and nothing is ever his fault.

The average spell for a Newcastle United manager is 126 games. Benitez needs to prove to everyone very quickly he's still the manager his reputation suggests.

Benitez has a good pedigree and is a good manager but he has helped to prop the Ashley regime up by staying, he plays a negative style of football and to me looks a bit dated when you compare him to the likes of Klopp and Guadiola. Good post keggy

Look at the players he's brought in, even though he's not had the money others have had he's brought in utter shite.

All absolutely true yet Rafa gets little flak and always has a ready excuse.
I fear his best days are long behind him, yesterday's man.
Would you trust him with a large transfer pot if it ever came?
If you don't score goals, and we don't, then relegation beckons.

Always interesting to see views. Just adding that under Rafa, in an inflated market, the signings over £6m have been Merino, Lejeune, Murphy, Muto, Ritchie and Gayle. McClaren was allowed a net spend of over £70m, with 5 players over £12m of who only Shelvey remains. Rafa is well in surplus.

Under Ashley, we have only more than £10m for a striker (Mitrovic), that being the fee for Cisse and Gayle.

In comparison, Fulham have 3 x £20m + players, Brighton have 5 over £13m, Southampton half a dozen. Wolves spent a net £50m in the summer, Bournemouth have just spent £19m on a kid. Even Palace have beaten our own transfer record by £10m on two occasions.

We can all have our different views but I don't think Lewis Hamilton would won 5 F1 titles had he been on the grid in a Trabant. However, he might be able to make himself hard to overtake, which is exactly why Rafa has gone defensive.

I think he should have gone about the business side of things in a much more professional manner

If it had been me making a massive profit on Mitrovic I would have sought assurances that that money would be available to reinvest in the squad before he left

Murphy, Mitrovic and Gayle have all left - in my opinion we are weaker upfront now than when they were here

Does anyone actually think he walked into this job with his eyes shut - does anyone think that a meticulous planner like Rafa didnt know what to expect under this regime??

Great post that KK,not just because I agree with 99.9% of it but because it's very balanced,does not contain mind boggling Rafa slavishness and there is zero fence sitting.

Owl don't bet against Benitez going to another club and being fairly successful.

We know he doesn't do well with 'stars' but he's excellent at moulding workmanlike players into a team that are capable of winning trophies.

All he needs is a club who have not won anything for a very long time and supporters that will put up with his style of football and management,eg Muto and Murphy.

Oh and of course an owner who is willing to spend a little money.

I think he should have gone about the business side of things in a much more professional manner

If it had been me making a massive profit on Mitrovic I would have sought assurances that that money would be available to reinvest in the squad before he left

Murphy, Mitrovic and Gayle have all left - in my opinion we are weaker upfront now than when they were here

Does anyone actually think he walked into this job with his eyes shut - does anyone think that a meticulous planner like Rafa didnt know what to expect under this regime??
YES.

We can all have our different views but I don't think Lewis Hamilton would won 5 F1 titles had he been on the grid in a Trabant. However, he might be able to make himself hard to overtake, which is exactly why Rafa has gone defensive.

Hamilton doesn't build the car though. He doesn't decide which bits he's going to spend McClaren or Mercedes money on and he doesn't spend money on say a new type of gearbox and then say I won't have it on the car 4 out of the next 6 races. For example Murphy and Muto combined cost over 20 million hardly ever used.

Good points all round. We have all seen Ashley's public assurances over "every last penny", only to see them broken.

As for "walking in with eyes shut", anyone might be forgiven for thinking if McClaren was given a net spend of £73m, then a manager of quality might be afforded the same investment.

It seems clear from interviews that Rafa gives Charnley a list of targets and (under his current contract at least) waits to see which ones Charnley delivers.

Yes, F1 teams rotate gear boxes within specified limits so they don't blow up. They deploy resources to maximise points on their most favourable circuits.

I take the point about Murphy who perhaps was supposed to be one for the future. Muto was integrated late into the squad and Rafa had said that he wanted business done early, to be given time during pre-season to adapt. Having said that, how Perez has started so many games ahead of Muto has left me bewildered at times.

They reckon West Ham are interested in a swap with Andy Carroll coming here and Shelvey going to them. If that's true I'd go for it because I think Carroll if fit will score goals, where as Shelvey doesn't get regular football under benitez.